Re: Take control of your sexual health - put a ring on it!

  • aditmore@juno.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 16, 2012
      FINALLY!!!! a national campaign to promote MUNICIPAL contraception. Now
      you just need to focus on more small cities like Berkeley CA, Santa Cruz
      CA, Provincetown MA, Santa Fe NM, Reno NV, and Asheville NC. Go
      especially for university towns with a high percentage of college
      students and professors. MY life and future depends on it and I'm a male
      hermit; though what makes me a hermit is the refusal of others to support
      municipal environmental contraception!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      -Alan Ditmore

      Please read these petitions advocating municipal environmental
      contraception funding, which is increasingly politically realistic due
      to The Big Sort in more and more towns, and helps women's rights, quality
      of life, and school taxes as well as being at
      least 5 times more cost-effective than any other environmental effort.
      http://tinyurl.com/townBC2
      http://www.feminist.org/news/newsbyte/uswirestory.asp?id=12874
      http://tinyurl.com/towncontraception
      http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/condoms/condoms.shtml
      http://action.biologicaldiversity.org/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=599
      9
      http://tinyurl.com/opcensor
      http://www.change.org/petitions/asheville-lgbt-rights-for-environment
      http://www.change.org/petitions/view/transfer_all_environmental_funds_to_
      contraception
      http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/transfer-all-environmental-funds-to-cont
      raception-especially-municipal/
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/childfreetown/
      http://www.thebigsort.com/maps.php

      The prochoice and contraception movements are placing too high a priority
      on defensive actions in the red states when we should be going on the
      offensive, the side of "change", in the blue states, and cities. The
      worst places
      will get even worse no matter what we do, but the unrealized political
      potential, the low hanging fruit, is in making the best places even
      better. This opportunity is being caused by The Big Sort. Mayors are not
      answerable to rural voters, unlike governors and presidents.
      http://www.nationalpartnership.org/site/News2?abbr=daily4_&page=NewsArtic
      le&id=27823&security=1521&news_iv_ctrl=-1
      http://www.nationalpartnership.org/site/News2?abbr=daily4_&page=NewsArtic
      le&id=27825&security=1521&news_iv_ctrl=-1
      http://www.nationalpartnership.org/site/News2?abbr=daily4_&page=NewsArtic
      le&id=32477&security=1521&news_iv_ctrl=-1
      http://www.feminist.org/news/newsbyte/uswirestory.asp?id=12891
      https://secure.ppaction.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=
      12828
      http://www.amplifyyourvoice.org/end_abonly
      http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5041388
      We americans love cars more than babies, Very soon we will have to
      choose, and we will choose cars.

      On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 16:06:24 -0400 (EDT) "Cindy Pearson, National Women's
      Health Network" <alerts@...> writes:

      About | Donate

      April 25, 2012
      Dear Friends,

      You may have seen in recent news that some cities have been giving away
      the new and improved FC2 Female Condom� in an effort to raise awareness
      about the product, which gives women more control in protecting
      themselves from HIV and other sexually transmitted infections. New
      research is now showing that these female condom distribution programs
      are a successful AND cost-effective means of preventing new cases of HIV.
      Even more excitingly, manufacturer The Female Health Company has just
      announced that it will be beefing up its facilities for increased
      production in order to meet the high demand for FC2 expected in the near
      future.

      In the excerpt below, NWHN Program Coordinator Keely Monroe delves deeper
      into the facts on FC2 and its future potential. Click here to read the
      entire article, fresh from the current issue of The Women�s Health
      Activist.

      Put a Ring on It!

      Cities around the country are making sure that more women stay healthy
      and sexy by telling them to �put a ring on it�! What type of ring, you
      may ask? We aren�t talking about the kind of ring Beyonc� warned men
      about in her song �Put a Ring on It;� we�re talking about the new and
      improved female condom.

      Female condoms are currently the only self-initiated barrier method
      option women have for preventing unwanted pregnancies and transmission of
      sexually transmitted infections (STIs), including HIV � which makes them
      a critically important prevention tool for women.

      Advocates have always known that female condoms have the potential to
      play an important role in promoting positive sexual health and preventing
      HIV and other STIs. But, they also know a lot of work was needed to
      overcome the original female condom�s bad reputation.

      So, when the FC2 was released in the U.S., advocates grabbed the
      opportunity to gain new momentum in promoting the female condom. With
      funding from city and state health departments and from private
      philanthropic sources, five cities with high HIV/AIDS prevalence have
      launched creative and fun public education campaigns, drawing on lessons
      learned in other countries, to engage communities and increase both
      awareness and use. These cities are Chicago, Houston, New York City, San
      Francisco, and Washington DC. Campaigns are also scheduled for Atlanta
      and Baton Rouge.

      Although the female condom may not have superstar rank among
      contraceptive methods yet, with innovative and engaging campaigns taking
      place around the country, it seems inevitable that female condoms will
      eventually reach the famed status they deserve!

      If you're not already getting The Women's Health Activist, click here to
      find out how you can receive a one-year subscription by becoming a member
      of the National Women's Health Network.

      Thank you,

      Cindy Pearson
      Executive Director
      P.S. Be sure to "Like" us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to keep up
      with the latest women's health news.

      National Women's Health Network
      PH: 202.682.2640 | FAX: 202.682.2648 | For health information:
      202.682.2646
      1413 K Street, NW, 4th floor, Washington DC 20005
      www.nwhn.org
      here.

    • Beth
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 7, 2012
        The DC law making it legal for a pharmacy to sell women birth control pills without a doctor's prescription is a good step. There have been many articles written that say that there is no justification for a woman to have to have an (expensive and invasive) medical examination to get the pill. Many doctors even say that without that requirement, they would not have women come in every year for their pap test and pelvic examinations. Birth control should not be held as hostage for that.

        The other thing is that pharmacies can refuse to fill any prescription that violates their own moral/ethical code. A pro-pregnancy pharmacist might not fill a "morning after pill" prescription, or even a birth control pill prescription. Walmart will not fill emergency contraception prescriptions, even after a rape, and in many small towns or even larger ones, people without good transportation have to "take their chances" on getting pregnant. IMnsHO, a pharmacy or pharmacist which will not fill a valid prescription should have their license revoked. Better to have it as "over the counter" medicine, and it should be as easy to purchase as cough syrup.

        Municipal contraception initiatives are great as far as they go, but everyone does not live in a city. There are small villages, small unincorporated communities, and people who do not live in any community. Contraception is needed in rural areas too! The way populations can and do increase, even if there were no births in cities for 50 years, without contraception in the country, we would still have our population increasing.

        It needs to be nationwide. And, it needs to go into the culture as a "responsible" thing to do - not "morally questionable" as many would have us believe.

        Beth

      • aditmore@juno.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 22, 2012
          That is an impossible pipedream because conservative rural areas are absolutely doomed and the best we can possibly do is permanently evacuate women from antichoice states like Oklahoma. We cannot possibly save Oklahoma no matter how much it may need saving, any more than we can save Afghanistan. We can only make the best places even better by further advancing contraception in those places, mostly cities, where it is already most advanced.
          Also, there is nothing stopping the city of Santa Cruz CA from providing free contraception to Oklahoman women in Oklahoma. And it is more likely than expecting the state of Oklahoma, or the feds, to provide free contraception to Oklahoman women in Oklahoma.
          -Alan

> [...]

          > Although the female condom may not have superstar rank among
          > contraceptive methods yet, with innovative and engaging campaigns taking
          > place around the country, it seems inevitable that female condoms will
          > eventually reach the famed status they deserve!
          >

          > If you're not already getting The Women's Health Activist, click here to
          > find out how you can receive a one-year subscription by becoming a member
          > of the National Women's Health Network.
          >

          > Thank you,
          >

          > Cindy Pearson
          > Executive Director
          > P.S. Be sure to "Like" us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to keep up
          > with the latest women's health news.
          >

          > National Women's Health Network
          > PH: 202.682.2640 | FAX: 202.682.2648 | For health information:
          > 202.682.2646
          > 1413 K Street, NW, 4th floor, Washington DC 20005

          Woman is 53 But Looks 25
          http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/500c2c4425a0e2c430929st51vuc
        • Beth
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 23, 2012
            I have long-since escaped Oklahoma, to a couple of states further north. And, to a much more isolated area. There were too many people there!

            The birth rate in this village of 128 people is that there have been 3 infants born in the last year and a half. The women of child-bearing age generally use contraception, and encourage others to do so.

            In Oklahoma, "rescuing" the women from such an anti-choice state would not be the answer. These very poor women, often on alcohol-ridden reservations, insist that they have the RIGHT to have a lot of babies! And, it's the women who lead the charge against choice, and work very hard to make sure that every girl of breeding age gets her baby. Some of the men feel likewise, and a large number of them JUST DON'T CARE about the children they're fathering. Or, they actively want to be fathers, feed the girl/woman a line of BS, then never marry her or pay. Or, do so sporadically.

            Fundamentalist Churches and Catholic Churches have speakers talking about how all these "non-Christian women" are out there "murdering their babies", and from the sound of it, ALL women who are not members of these churches are just itching to have abortions. Abortion is the last gasp when all other steps at contraception have failed.

            I got out of there partly because I couldn't find anybody there who was worth talking to.

            Beth