why innovation wont defuse the population bomb

  • aditmore@juno.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2012
      http://tools.unlockdemocracy.org.uk/autonomy/
      http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/2011/10/31/why-innovatio
      n-wont-defuse-the-population-bomb/
      53 Year Old Mom Looks 33
      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4f5298663a9d3af3am08vuc
    • Beth
      Message 2 of 3 , May 8, 2012
        Innovation will have to be more radical - bigger jumps will be required to keep the current rate of population growth.

        On one hand, as there are more people, there are more people who are more talented than average, who would be capable of discovering these innovations.

        On the other hand, as strapped as we are and will soon be for basic resources, many or most of those extremely intelligent individuals will not be educated, and rather than making the discovery, they will be struggling with the rest of the population to maintain their day-to-day lives.

        There is a limit to technology. As (I think Heinlein said), at the current (in the 1960s) growth rate, in a few hundred years the mass of human beings would exceed the mass of the planet, which is impossible without an innovation to colonize outer space.

        Technology will not save us. It can put the collapse off. However, when the collapse happens, the higher the technology, the more people will be around, and the more high-tech things won't be shut down for any survivors - who probably won't be able to shut down and get rid of the nuclear waste, bio-contaminants, effects of global warming, and on and on.

        Colonizing outer space will become less and less possible the more people who are struggling just to stay alive, rather than research, develop, build, and commit resources to other things. I think it's too late even if we start right now... Science fiction will not save us.

        What could save us might have been to cut population growth drastically. I say "might have been" because I believe that it would have had to have been implemented when the earth's population was under 5 billion - roughly 30 years ago. Possibly earlier.

        Beth

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 17, 2012
          Kudos and ditto Beth!
          -Alan

          Innovation will have to be more radical - bigger jumps will be required
          to keep the current rate of population growth.

          On one hand, as there are more people, there are more people who are more
          talented than average, who would be capable of discovering these
          innovations.

          On the other hand, as strapped as we are and will soon be for basic
          resources, many or most of those extremely intelligent individuals will
          not be educated, and rather than making the discovery, they will be
          struggling with the rest of the population to maintain their day-to-day
          lives.

          There is a limit to technology. As (I think Heinlein said), at the
          current (in the 1960s) growth rate, in a few hundred years the mass of
          human beings would exceed the mass of the planet, which is impossible
          without an innovation to colonize outer space.

          Technology will not save us. It can put the collapse off. However, when
          the collapse happens, the higher the technology, the more people will be
          around, and the more high-tech things won't be shut down for any
          survivors - who probably won't be able to shut down and get rid of the
          nuclear waste, bio-contaminants, effects of global warming, and on and
          on.

          Colonizing outer space will become less and less possible the more people
          who are struggling just to stay alive, rather than research, develop,
          build, and commit resources to other things. I think it's too late even
          if we start right now... Science fiction will not save us.

          What could save us might have been to cut population growth drastically.
          I say "might have been" because I believe that it would have had to have
          been implemented when the earth's population was under 5 billion -
          roughly 30 years ago. Possibly earlier.

          Beth

          --- In Why_breed@yahoogroups.com, aditmore@... wrote:

          > http://tools.unlockdemocracy.org.uk/autonomy/

          http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/2011/10/31/why-innovatio
          > n-wont-defuse-the-population-bomb/
          Credit Company Breach
          LifeLock Ultimate™protects your identity from the effects of data breach.
          http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4fdebbfa6cbc2d352m08vuc