potential monkeywrench?

  • rambuncto
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 19, 2002
      hello all,

      i'm merely a tourist and i haven't read much of what's been posted
      here, only parts of the website, so i don't know if my point has been
      addressed or not. however, i'd find it hard to believe i'm the first
      one to raise the issue in the 8+ years since the organization's
      official inception.

      as far as the basic philosophy behind vhemt, i think it's a swell
      idea. the only problem i have with it is this: if everyone at vhemt
      spreads the word to those enlightened or willing to listen, then
      theoretically these people would not procreate. however, there's
      quite a large camp out there that disagrees with vhemt's philosophy.
      in fact one of their leader's mantras states "be fruitful and
      multiply," or at least something to that effect. i am of course
      speaking of christianity. i'm fairly certain that the majority of
      christians would find the extinction of the human race a revolting
      concept, and would thus keep right on pumping out babies. so after a
      few generations, it seems to me that there'd be little to no
      followers of vhemt's philosophy (due to their strict belief in said
      philosophy) and an awful lot of christians more than willing to
      project theirs on their young. i'm sure the supporters and
      volunteers here have run into opposition from this camp, but imagine
      how difficult it'd be with even fewer people to spread the word about
      the dangers of infinite reproduction. so does this mean vhemt
      volunteers die in vain, and that the only potential good they bring
      about is for those who are diametrically opposed to their
      philosophy? if all good vhemt volunteers do what they believe is
      right, who will carry their philosophy on to be spread to future
      generations? true, you can rely on books, maybe on electronic
      postings, but it'd be quite easy for someone with power who found
      these ideas offensive to wipe them from certain corners of the earth,
      if not the earth in its entirety. i acknowledge my lack of knowledge
      on the bible, christianity, and most any religion, but i don't think
      censorship is frowned upon in most mainstream religions, especially
      if such censorship promotes the goals of the religion or eliminates
      its opponents.

      and just so it's known, i'm neither christian nor anti-christian.

      i think yours is an interesting idea. i wish you luck. the word was
      spread to me by a friend, and i will do what i can to pass it on to
      those i think will give it the time of day. have fun stormin' the
      castle!
    • Les U. Knight
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 20, 2002
        rambuncto, you wrote:
        >if all good vhemt volunteers do what they believe is
        right, who will carry their philosophy on to be spread to future
        generations? <

        Luckily, we don't have to breed receptacles for this philosophy. All
        of us came from couples who bred, and yet we've decided to stop doing
        so. Most people in The Movement arrived at this basic conclusion on
        their own. No amount of censorship is going to prevent an obvious
        solution from being conceived again and again. We spread memes, not
        genes.

        Les