URGENT, YOUR HELP WILL TURN THE TIDE.(9/2/2001)

  • Enviro Alert
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2001
      URGENT, YOUR HELP WILL TURN THE TIDE.(9/2/2001)

      Dear Caring friend,

      The US Senators and Representatives are coming back to the
      Capitol now. There are many very important issues we all have to
      fight very hard and work very hard on them. Issues in this alert are:

      ISSUE # 1 : Please protect Roadless Conservation Rule.
      Public comments Deadline: September 10, 2001
      ISSUE # 2 : Please Stop New Offshore Oil Drilling.
      Public Comments Deadline : September 27, 2001
      ISSUE # 3: Stop "Stone Ridge Mega-Dairy Factory Farm" .
      ISSUE # 4 : Tell Victoria's Secret That FUR IS DEAD !
      ISSUE # 5 : Tell FOX TV to Stop Cruel Bullfighting Ads !
      ISSUE # 6 : EDUCATE : Local Media, Local Politicians,
      on "Meat and Dairy's vicious Environmental Impacts" :

      Every issue is separated with "@@@@@@@@@@@@" .
      You are encouraged to pass this email to your members .
      thanks so much for your kindness and urgent help.
      @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

      ISSUE # 1 :

      PLEASE PROTECT ROADLESS FORESTS
      THE WILD FORESTS OF THE SOUTHERN ROCKIES AT RISK .

      PUBLIC COMMENT DEADLINE : SEPTEMBER 10, 2001.

      In an attempt to kill the Roadless Conservation Rule, which prohibits
      industrial development on the LAST remaining roadless areas on
      our national forests, the Bush Administration has set up a fast-track
      public comment process designed to discourage comments.

      The Bush administration is trying to gut the Roadless Area Conservation
      Rule -- an immensely popular forest conservation measure that protects
      America's last wild National Forests, including more than 5 million acres
      in the Southern Rockies, from new road construction and most logging.

      WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP :

      The SAMPLE LETTER & CONTACT INFORMATION
      listed below for your guide to help :

      =======================================

      SAMPLE LETTER : It is important to personalize your letter.
      It will carry much more weight. thanks.

      Subject : Please protect Roadless Conservation Rule.
      Please protect the Wild Forests of the Southern Rockies

      Dear Chief Bosworth,

      I am writing to support the Forest Service's Roadless Area
      Conservation Rule as it was published in the Federal Register on
      January 12, 2001.

      This policy is the product of the most extensive federal rulemaking
      in history, which included 600 public hearings nationwide, 27 of
      which were held in Colorado. More than 1.6 million public comments
      were submitted to the Forest Service, including over 28,000 from
      Coloradans, and the overwhelming majority-more than 90 percent-
      endorsed full and immediate protection for all roadless areas.

      In Colorado, the Roadless Rule would protect more than 4.4 million
      acres from road building and most logging, including spectacular places
      such as Dome Peak with its stunning meadows and vistas and the
      forests of Basalt Mountain on the White River National Forest.
      These unspoiled lands provide critically important wildlife habitat and
      supply clean water to hundreds of municipalities across the West.

      In Colorado, one of the most magnificent public wildlands on earth
      are a driving force behind the state's thriving economy, attracting
      new businesses and millions of tourists each year.

      More than half of our National Forest land has been scarred by logging
      and other destructive activities. The more than 440,000 miles of roads
      that criss-cross our National Forests -- the vast majority built for the
      logging industry and paid for by our tax dollars --have destroyed
      wildlife habitat, caused mudslides and polluted our water. Please
      I strongly request you to protect the last remaining unspoiled wild
      areas in our National Forests.

      The Roadless Rule offers a balanced approach to forest conservation.
      Not a single mile of existing road or trail would be closed as a result
      of the Roadless Rule, and Coloradans would continue to enjoy the
      same recreational access to these lands currently allowed under existing
      forest management plans. The Roadless Rule would not compromise
      public health and safety and would not place any additional limits
      on access to State-owned or private lands.

      I strongly oppose turning over decisions about the fate of roadless
      areas to the local forest planning process, which has failed miserably
      to protect roadless areas. Under forest plans now in place, new
      roads could be built on nearly 80 percent of the remaining
      roadless acreage in Colorado.

      I urge you to protect all of our National Forests by defending the
      roadless conservation policy and opposing all efforts to weaken or
      overturn forest protection. I urge you to abide by the will of the
      American people and fully implement the Roadless Rule as
      it was written.

      We expect immediate protection for our last untouched wildlife
      Sanctuaries. Thanks so much for your kindness & urgent help.

      Sincerely,

      Your Name
      Your Address
      City, State, Zip
      U.S. Constituents

      ======================================

      CONTACT INFORMATION :

      Contact # 1 :
      Time is very urgent, please send your important letter today :

      U.S. Forest Chief Dale Bosworth
      USDA-Forest Service - CAT
      Attn: Roadless ANPR Comments
      PO Box 221090
      Salt Lake City, UT 84112
      U.S.A.

      Email: roadless_anpr@... (@... )
      Fax: (801) 296-4090 (in USA )

      Contact # 2 :
      Please also write to PRESIDENT BUSH & CABINET members:
      (Address to : Dear Mr. President , )
      Please always sign as : U.S. Constituent(s) (if you live in U.S.)

      The President George W. Bush
      The White House
      1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW
      Washington, DC 20500
      U.S.A.
      Tel: 202-456-1414
      Fax: 202-456-2461 (in U.S.A.)
      E-mail : president@... (@... )

      Please also CC to First Lady Laura Bush and
      Vice President Dick Cheney and Mrs. Cheney and
      cabinet members :

      Then Copy the following address list and paste to CC field.
      Note: must have comma between addresses.
      Please remove the "(@.....)" at the end of each address before
      you paste them to your CC field :

      first.lady@... , (@..., )
      vice.president@... , (@..., )
      mrs.cheney@... , (@...,)
      DEvans@..., (@..., )
      whitman.christine@..., (@..., )
      ann.veneman@... , (@..., )
      Gale_Norton@... , (@..., )
      AskDOJ@... , (@..., )
      Secretary@..., (@..., )
      Scott.B.Gudes@..., (@... )

      Note :
      Any question, you may contact :
      rob@... (@... ) Tel: 303.447.8655
      Or contact Carrie Doyle , Tel: (303) 618-5894,
      Email: srfn@... (@... )

      @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

      ISSUE # 2 :

      LETTER TO STOP NEW OFFSHORE OIL DRILLING.

      COMMENTS DEADLINE: SEPTEMBR 27, 2001

      Please tell Interior Secretary Gale Norton and Florida Governor
      Jeb Bush and President Bush : No Expanded Offshore Oil Drilling!

      BACKGROUND:

      As the Bush Administration promotes its massive new energy plan,
      expanded offshore oil drilling is back in the national spotlight.
      Interior Secretary Gale Norton has proposed a new Five-Year
      Offshore Oil Drilling Plan and is seeking public comments on this plan.

      The Offshore oil Drilling plan would threaten a magnificent
      cosystem that supports productive fish and wildlife populations.
      Grey, Minke, Beluga, Humpback and Orca whales, the endangered
      Steller sea lions, and sea otters and seals all live in these waters.

      WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP :

      The SAMPLE LETTER & CONTACT INFORMATION follows:
      ===================================

      SAMPLE LETTER :
      (note: Please modify or write your own letter if you can.
      But do not forget your real purposes in the letter. thanks.)

      SUBJECT : Please Stop New Offshore Oil Drilling

      Dear ........... ,

      I am writing to comment on your proposed draft Five-Year OCS Oil
      and Gas Leasing Program and on the draft Environmental Impact
      Statement for this proposal.

      Offshore oil drilling will never be truly safe, and I am concerned that
      your proposed plan to dramatically expand offshore oil drilling activities
      in U.S. waters does not strike the right balance between protecting the
      environment and developing energy supplies.

      In Florida, the proposed expansion of offshore leasing threatens the
      state's economically important fishing and tourism industries. And
      in Alaska, the plan provides too little protection for productive
      fisheries and spill-sensitive Wildlife in remote coastal areas.

      From the fragile coastline of Alaska to the sugar-white beaches of the
      eastern Gulf of Mexico, unexplored waters are the main target of
      draft Five-Year Offshore Oil Drilling Plan. In Alaska alone, a total
      of 10 new "lease sales" are proposed, including such environmentally
      sensitive areas as Lower Cook Inlet, which would greatly threaten a
      magnificent ecosystem that supports productive fish and wildlife
      populations. Grey, Minke, Beluga, Humpback and Orca whales,
      the endangered Steller sea lions, and sea otters and seals all live in
      these waters.

      Please stop such drastic and irresponsible act of drilling in Alaska.
      Please stop the drilling to proceed on 36 active leases along the coast
      of central California, located between two sensitive national Marine
      Sanctuaries. Please stop to allow development of already leased
      near-shore waters right off the Florida Panhandle at Destin Dome.

      Please stop to put the interests of oil companies before Wildlife and
      Public interests . Energy conservation measures should be fully
      explored before we undertake dramatic expansion of offshore drilling.

      The Five-Year OCS Oil and Gas Leasing Program, as proposed,
      offers no assurances that oil drilling is safe or that the industry can
      contain or clean up an oil spill in Alaska's coastal waters. Toxic oil
      from the tragic 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill still seeps from the beaches
      throughout Prince William Sound. This shows that the oil industry's
      reassurances that it can safely drill in the hostile environment of the
      Arctic are deceiving and irresponsible.

      Specifically,

      * I urge the Department of Interior to withdraw its proposed draft
      Five-Year OCS Oil and Gas Leasing Program and the inadequate Draft
      Environmental Impact Statement.

      * I request that a full Environmental Impact Statement be prepared
      for the new 1.5-million-acre Lease Sale #181 in the Eastern Gulf of
      Mexico, since your agencies' cursory Environmental Assessment for
      this action is not adequate.

      * I request you , please stop permanently any of the new "lease sales"
      (which includes 10 new lease sales) in Alaska which includes such
      environmentally sensitive areas as Lower Cook Inlet .

      * I request you that the active OCS leases off the Florida Panhandle at
      Destin Dome and Central California be canceled.

      * I request that the recommendations of the OCS Policy Committee that
      seismic testing and other damaging exploration activities be
      permitted within congressional moratorium areas be rejected.

      Please include these comments in the formal record for the draft Five-
      Year OCS Oil and Gas Leasing Program, the draft Environmental Impact
      Statement on the proposed Five-Year OCS Program, Florida's Sale
      #181 Environmental Assessment, and for California's Delineation
      Drilling Activities Draft Environmental Impact Statement.

      Sincerely yours,
      Your Name,
      Address.
      City , State, Zip .
      U.S. Constituent(s) , (if you live in US.)
      Country.

      CONTACT INFORMATION :

      Contact # 1 :
      Interior Secretary :
      Email : Gale_Norton@... (@... )
      or write to :
      U.S. Department of the Interior
      1849 C. Street N.W.
      Washington, DC 20240
      USA
      (202) 208-3100 (in USA )
      (Please address to : The Honorable Secretary Gale Norton ,)
      Contact # 2 :
      Governor Jeb Bush
      The Capitol
      Tallahassee, FL?32399-0001
      Phone: (850) 488-4441 , Fax: (850) 487-0801
      2 Emails: jeb@... (@...)
      fl_governor@... (@...)

      (Please address to : Dear Honorable Governor Bush, )

      Contact # 3 :

      PRESIDENT BUSH AND ITS CABINET MEMBERS :
      Address:
      The President George W. Bush
      The White House
      1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW
      Washington, DC 20500
      Fax: 202-456-2461 (in U.S.A.)
      E-mail : president@... (@... )
      (Please address to: Dear Mr. President , )

      Please also CC to First Lady Laura Bush and
      Vice President Dick Cheney and Mrs. Cheney and cabinet members:

      Then Copy the following address and paste to CC field.
      Note: It must have comma between addresses.
      Please remove the "(@.....)" at the end of each address before
      you paste the following list to your CC field :

      first.lady@... , (@..., )
      vice.president@... , (@..., )
      mrs.cheney@... , (@...,)
      DEvans@..., (@..., )