1895Re: Why breed? Re: Almost no breeding

  • suza2875
    Jan 31, 2013
      Joe's ideas would aggravate overpopulation, not alleviate it, unless
      perhaps reduced aging increased the retirement age far more than life and
      thus undermined the "population aging" arguements against us. I hate to
      censor people and am not a moderator either, but I hope that if joe's
      priority is really increasing life expentancy, then he has little in
      common with us and should go elsewhere on his own.
      BTW, Oregon's euthanasia laws also help the environment a great
      deal and need to be brought to more states for that purpose. Intensive
      care is highly polluting.
      -Alan.

      I am not a moderator, but as your message has not been publicly answered
      in over a week, I think you would be welcome in VHEMT.

      MOST of the problems have been caused by the fact that the life
      expectancy has gone up enormously over the past 150 years or so. In 1900,
      the average life expectancy was to live to be 50 yeas old. Now, in the
      US, the life expectancy is around 78 years old, while in other Western
      countries life expectancy is in the mid-80s. The infant and maternal
      mortality rate has plummeted in that time also. So, there are more of the
      children living to be adults, more living generations of people, and
      unless the birth rate goes down by a similar amount, the number of people
      increases... and expands exponentially.

      If life expectancy were greatly increased, as you suggest, that would
      compound the problem UNLESS people stopped having babies. Human beings
      are adapted to having hard lives of 35 years with a high infant and
      maternal mortality rate... and we are the offspring that survived the
      lifestyle of our ancestors up until the past 100-150 years. So, people
      have this desire to procreate and have enough children that at least one
      or two will grow up.... but we have not yet adapted to the changed
      conditions that won't support this very high and growing population.

      I do know that nature tends to correct itself. When other populations
      expand rapidly because of a changed condition, they do so up to a point
      where they make their (localized) environment unlivable, and then die
      back or out in that given area. Whether this will be by disease, war, or
      the other threat that human ingenuity alone could create - global climate
      change, or something else, remains to be seen.

      The question is whether we're going to stop voluntarily or by force (or
      nature)? I think it's too late to stop the problems caused by climate
      change and by improved means of spreading deadly diseases.

      The more I see, the more glad I am that I have not procreated. The world
      I see coming out of this situation in just a couple more decades is not
      one I would wish upon an enemy, much less a child I love. I've protected
      all of my children from living this horror by failing to conceive them.

      Beth

      --- In Why_breed@yahoogroups.com, "joseph2u4us" wrote:

      > Hi everyone, I just joined up. I would have joined the main, big group
      but didn't actually meet the requirement for wanting human extinction.

      > I don't really want much or any breeding either.
      >
      > Here is how that would work. You might have guessed that I want the
      people here to have their lifespans greatly extended. I think there is
      enough understanding of stem cells and genetics to do that within a
      decade, with enough resolve. We should put oodles of money into this
      because by reversing agedness from a 70 effective age to a 30 efa, most
      common degenerative diseases could be reversed or cured, too.

      > Thanks,
      > Joe
      >
      > P.S. Now that I've clarified my views, if you could, let me know if i
      might be welcome in the main group.
      Woman is 57 But Looks 27
      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/510b549e24cee549d5481st04vuc
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic