1889Re: Why breed? Re: An Ahimsa ThanXgiving

  • aditmore@juno.com
    Nov 26, 2012
      Kudos Beth. The ability to work holidays is a big advantage of
      being independent minded. I didn't see a living sole this thankgiving or
      black friday and pretty much read all day, as on most holidays. I take
      refuge in books on holidays because books don't know it's a holiday. In
      that sense even my inbox is too sociable.
      -Alan

      For many years, I'd volunteer to work on Thanksgiving.

      There was usually no overtime, as I was salaried. Somebody had to do it,
      and I was probably the least resentful over working Thanksgiving.... and
      "black Friday".

      The years I didn't work, I stayed home either alone or with a loved one
      (singular). I'm Thankful that I haven't put up with the extended-family
      shinnanigans between the overeating and overdrinking at any time in my
      adult life.

      Beth

      --- In Why_breed@yahoogroups.com, "Augie" <augie1015@...> wrote:

      > An Ahimsa ThanXgiving
      >
      > Namaste
      >
      > Oh, no! Here it comes again!
      > Those dreaded holidays where Vegans "waffle" between:
      >
      > A) Going to a family get-together and literally suffer through hours of
      staring at dead carcasses, watching as others gulp down – not chewing –
      these abused souls;
      > B) Going to a family get-together and endure all those not so casual
      comments about anti-Veganism;
      > C) Not going to these gatherings and trying to arrange a dinner for
      like-minded folks;
      > D) Not going to these gatherings and staying by themselves with their
      Tofurkeys;
      > E) Not going to these gatherings and wondering if we hurt the feelings
      of unconcerned/uncaring humans;
      > F) Not going to the dinners, but arriving afterwards for "dessert;"
      > G) Any other actions you wish to fill-in;
      > H) Not going to these gatherings and fasting.
      >
      > That's right! I said FASTING.
      >
      > I will be fasting this ThanXgiving again - this has been a tradition
      since 1998.
      > I hope some list members will be joining me on this day of torture,
      death, greed, selfishness and debauchery by doing the same.

      > My fast is in HONOR/REMEMBERENCE/REVERENCE of the MILLIONS of animals
      that are tortured and abused, then slaughtered just for this one (1) day
      alone in the U.S.

      > I am not discussing one (1) day fasts. My fasts run from Wednesday
      until Sunday.

      > Fasting achieves numerous benefits. It is a wonderful way to clean out
      the body as far as health is concerned.

      > Spiritually, it also cleanses the soul.
      >
      > Originally, fasting was used to 'get closer to a higher being.'
      >
      > It was also used to rid sick bodies of diseases. This was copied from
      watching animals when they are ill.
      > They either eat greens or nothing at all.
      >
      > Modern times has shown fasting to be a form of protest.
      > Gandhi also used fasting to bring his point across.
      >
      > My fasting tradition has came about when I could no longer go to family
      gatherings for this 'holiday' and sit around a table infested with dead
      carcass and by-products.
      > Even the 'religious' holidays were laughable as we traipsed to our
      building of worship only to march back to a home full of death, abuse and
      chemical irresponsibility.

      > Previous years had folks pointing out that this is a time for family
      and friends getting-together to show their love and thankfulness.
      > But, who needs a "Hallmark" holiday for this occasion?
      > We can get together the other 364 days of the year without the excuse
      of a 'holiday.'

      > I have had numerous opportunities to join like-minded folks for a
      holiday feast, but prefer to not look upon this holiday as a festive
      occasion. Why? Because it also represents false facts throughout American
      history. Native Americans were thwarted into slavery and
      near-annihilitation by the 'white man' in the name of 'god.' Recent
      findings are coming out that there was no turkey - or even any kind of
      'meat' - at the dinner; only fruits, vegetables, nuts and grains.

      > Then, back to modern times, it always bothered me that after these
      dinners, the male attendees would gather together in front of a
      television set to watch the bloodsport known as 'football,' leaving the
      women (slaves again to the 'white man') to clean up and watch
      > after the children.
      >
      > You are invited and welcome to join my discussion
      > list:
      > [We are really more like an informational "newspaper" with at least 25
      postings daily!]

      > Starting soon (way before "ThanXgiving") there will appear articles,
      information and guides about the history and hypocrisy of ThanXgiving, as
      well as how to cope with the upcoming holidays (Chanukah, Kwanzaa, Xmas,
      New Year's).
      > Additionally, you will find ways to fast safely and wisely.
      > For those who wish to "celebrate" and not fast, you will find literally
      hundreds of recipes and tips, as well!

      > As we ready ourselves for Fur-Free Friday, I wish everyone who is
      willing to "take the plunge" the best of luck in a successful and quick
      fast, and may all of our efforts pay off!

      > American Sign Language and Deaf Culture
      > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SignSoFla/
      >
      > Alternative Schooling Within The School System
      > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SoFlaSchools/
      >
      > Om Shanti
      >
      > Live Simply So That
      > Others May Simply Live
      > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Yoga-With-Nancy/
      Refinance for 1.750%/2.926% APR
      Loans under 729K usually qualify for US GOV backed refinance programs
      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/50b3c9cf1ebc349ce17acst03vuc
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic