Frequently asked questions about the Libertarian Party

  • vote_libertarian_4_change
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2007
      Q: What is a Libertarian?

      A: Let's start with Webster's definition:

      Libertarian: A person who upholds the principles of individual
      liberty especially of thought and action. Capitalized: a member of
      a political party advocating libertarian principles.

      Libertarians believe in, and pursue, personal freedom while
      maintaining personal responsibility. The Libertarian Party itself
      serves a much larger pro-liberty community with the specific mission
      of electing Libertarians to public office.

      Libertarians strongly oppose any government interfering in their
      personal, family and business decisions. Essentially, we believe
      all Americans should be free to live their lives and pursue their
      interests as they see fit as long as they do no harm to another.

      In a nutshell, we are advocates for a smaller government, lower
      taxes and more freedom.

      Q: Are Libertarians liberal or conservative?

      A: Libertarians are neither. Unlike liberals or conservatives,
      Libertarians advocate a high degree of both personal and economic
      liberty. For example, Libertarians advocate freedom in economic
      matters, so we're in favor of lowering taxes, slashing bureaucratic
      regulation of business, and charitable -- rather than government --
      welfare. But Libertarians are also socially tolerant. We won't
      demand laws or restrictions on other people who we may not agree
      because of personal actions or lifestyles.

      Think of us as a group of people with a "live and let live"
      mentality and a balanced checkbook.

      In a sense, Libertarians "borrow" from both sides to come up with a
      logical and consistent whole -- but without the exceptions and
      broken promises of Republican and Democratic politicians. That's why
      we call ourselves the Party of Principle.

      Q: How large is the Libertarian Party?

      A: In terms of political activity (i.e. number of candidates, access
      to the ballot, and elected office holders), the Libertarian Party is
      the third-largest political party in America. We're active in all 50
      states and have more than 200,000 registered voters.

      Q: What kind of offices do Libertarians run for and hold?

      A: Around the nation there are Libertarian mayors, county
      executives, county council members and even a Libertarian sheriff!
      Libertarians also serve on school boards and in hundreds of local
      offices. In 2006 alone, over 13.4 million votes were cast for
      Libertarian candidates around the nation.

      While we are most successful at the local level for now, we run
      candidates at all levels of government, even President of the United
      States.

      Our elected Libertarians are hard at work saving you money and
      protecting your civil liberties. In fact, Libertarians saved
      Americans over $2.2 billion in 2004 alone.

      Q: What kind of people join the Libertarian Party?

      A: People like you. People who used to be Republicans, Democrats,
      and independents – from all walks of life. They joined us because
      they realize that we're the only political party working for their
      best interests.

      Those who join us realize that, unlike the two major parties, we
      place the interests of our nation ABOVE the interests of our
      political party. While the Republican and Democratic parties exist
      to maintain their own power, we exist to grasp power for the benefit
      of you and millions of other Americans across our nation.

      How can I become a Libertarian?

      For the reasonable fee of $25 per year, you can become a Sustaining
      Member of the Libertarian Party and a real, card-carrying
      Libertarian. After you join, you will receive our monthly
      publication, LP News, along with regular updates on our national
      activities.

      More importantly, if you join our political party and become a
      Libertarian, you will stand with thousands of other Americans who
      are proudly committed to bringing about true freedom within our
      nation.

      To join us and become a Libertarian
      https://www.lp.org/members/newmember.shtml

      INFO from: http://www.lp.org/article_85.shtml