expected failure

  • Kayla
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6, 2003
      This "movement" will fail because the concept, and plan are both
      fallacies. If you people choose to not breed for whatever ecological
      reason, yipee, you'll just die off and the people who believe in
      breeding will survive because they'll be the ones producing the
      children and inculcating them with their breeding philosophies. Human
      extinction is sick and pathological. If your so concerned, take note
      that fertility is actually declining and the main reason that the
      earth is abundantly populated is because people live longer. So, the
      only way to get a "healthy" society with a fertility rate of zero is
      to deny medical treatment to the elderly, euthanasia, kill 'em past
      60. Don't you see how wrong and sick this is?
    • Les U. Knight
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 7, 2003
        Kayla, you not that "If you people choose to not breed for whatever ecological
        reason, yipee, you'll just die off and the people who believe in
        breeding will survive because they'll be the ones producing the
        children and inculcating them with their breeding philosophies."

        Fortunately, VHEMT is an idea and doesn't have to be inherited
        genetically. All of us came from breeding couples, and yet we've
        decided to stop breeding. It's not the same as, say, all blue-eyed
        people stopping breeding and dying out.

        "Human extinction is sick and pathological."

        Involuntary human extinction qualifies as sick and pathological. It
        seems to me the same could be said about the countless thousands of
        extinctions humanity has caused and is causing. Since our voluntary
        extinction will slow these extinctions so that they eventually return
        to their normal level, it could be considered the cure to the
        sickness.

        "If your so concerned, take note that fertility is actually declining
        and the main reason that the
        earth is abundantly populated is because people live longer."

        It's true that global birth rates have dropped by almost 50 percent
        since 1950: from 5.0 to 2.8. And, in that same period our annual
        increase -- the difference between births and deaths -- has gone from
        37 million to 79 million: more than double the growth at half the
        fertility. This momentum has little to do with life span -- we all
        still die, and not much later than usual. A drop in infant mortality
        makes the average look like we've made big improvements in longevity.

        "So, the only way to get a "healthy" society with a fertility rate of zero is
        to deny medical treatment to the elderly, euthanasia, kill 'em past
        60. Don't you see how wrong and sick this is?"

        We are in complete agreement that this would be wrong and sick. The
        unofficial motto of VHEMT is "May we live long and die out."

        Medical care is constantly denied to the elderly already, but it's
        not to improve population density. Some societies provide health care
        to everyone, some can't afford to, and some spend tax money on
        killing other peoples instead.

        As a practical matter, knocking ten years off of seven people's lives
        is the same as preventing the conception and birth of one
        non-existent person: 70 human years. No contest, in my opinion.

        For a better world,
        Les