Childhood Experience

  • litebodie <litebodie@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2003
      So I've read the VHEMT pages and DO get where it's going, but the
      issue I have is that I believe that the offspring that I might bring
      in to the world WILL have a positive impact on the world I live in.
      I've heard of the massive amount of population throughout the world,
      but many of my peers believe in an "us" and "them" precept that their
      kids will bring a change to the world. We've developed the type of
      community that has the "child of many." Where does the philosphy of
      a community of "parents" fit in to the ideas of VHEMT?
    • Rob Stryker
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2003
        I personally don't see us with a community of "child of many".

        When a child is born, it's seen as a personal problem. The entire
        community can't take off of work to raise this child for a few months, or
        even a few days. We spout out rhetoric like "It takes a village to raise a
        child", and yet we have no support for that village to help raise the
        child.

        As of now, only the MOTHER can take off work... the father can't even take
        off work to raise a kid! How, then, can we possibly have a "child of
        many" community? Hell... it'd seem that the child really only has one
        parent, because the other one is working and away all the time.

        If the government or corporations were to provide paid leave for mother
        AND father, then I can see "child of many". I don't see that in today's
        society at all. No... raising a child is a personal problem.

        Transportation, too, used to be a community thing... with light rail cars
        (trolleys) transporting hundreds a day for very little money. That was
        systematically done away with through a GM conspiracy, and now
        transportation is a personal problem. This is STILL being clarified, as
        Bush want's to subsidize his rich-people-tax-cuts by cutting Amtrak
        funding, which will make transportation MORE of a personal problem, will
        force people to buy cars, and use oil.

        I really don't feel a sense of pride towards my country...

        - rawb
        www.rangerrawb.com

        On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, litebodie <litebodie@...> wrote:

        > So I've read the VHEMT pages and DO get where it's going, but the
        > issue I have is that I believe that the offspring that I might bring
        > in to the world WILL have a positive impact on the world I live in.
        > I've heard of the massive amount of population throughout the world,
        > but many of my peers believe in an "us" and "them" precept that their
        > kids will bring a change to the world. We've developed the type of
        > community that has the "child of many." Where does the philosphy of
        > a community of "parents" fit in to the ideas of VHEMT?
        >

        > VHEMT Volunteers and Supporters may subscribe to
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Voluntary_Human_Extinction

      • Simon Lachance
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 14, 2003
          > As of now, only the MOTHER can take off work... the father can't
          even take
          > off work to raise a kid! How, then, can we possibly have a "child of
          > many" community? Hell... it'd seem that the child really only has one
          > parent, because the other one is working and away all the time.

          It depends on what job you have. And why just the mother? Why can't
          the father stay home and the mother work?