Re: Why VHEMT? Netflix

  • Beth
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 9, 2013
      Ah, but there are other, less-expensive options!

      For one thing, I can borrow movies from the library. I found a few very good ones that were recently donated too.

      For another, Hulu can and will stream to me - movies, TV shows, current TV shows on current events... I've got a Hulu "plus" account so I can get more shows and movies, and newer ones. It costs much less than Netflix, and I'm actually getting what I am paying for.

      I don't buy that many movies. Only occasionally. And, I watch ones I like more than once.

      I'm literally at the end of the line to get DHL. It's only been available here for a few years, since the Bill & Melinda Gates foundation put in a lot of money to bring it to us.

      At the same time, I get to live 2 blocks from a farm that grows my corn, 2 blocks from a cattle farm that produces manure for my garden, 1 block from work, in a community with a fertility rate of about 1.2. :) The teenagers don't seem to be in any hurry to have their own kids. One wants to get her doctorate degree first (women with doctorates rarely have kids), another wants to get a masters and get a job for the UN first (that'll at least put it off for quite a number of years - possibly permanently), another is vocal about not living her mother's life of having too many kids (Mom does not like hearing that, telling her that she'll change her mind, as I and others show that might not happen), and another says that she's getting tired of having kids around to babysit - she's looking forward to NOT having kids of her own. And... I'm telling her that it's a viable option, and I (an "old lady" in her view) do not have regrets like some people tell her that she'll have... or "change her mind".

      Beth

      --- In Why_VHEMT@yahoogroups.com, Alan Thomas <alankingsleythomas@...> wrote:

      > To me, getting to watch several discs a month is worth more than buying one
      > per month. But then I rarely am interested in watching a movie more than
      > once.
      >
      > On Saturday, July 6, 2013, Beth wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > We were on a disc plan, but about 3 years ago they included a limited
      > > amount of streaming with it at no extra fee. Then, they changed the plan so
      > > that you could get a few discs per month, and unlimited streaming, for
      > > about triple the price.
      > >
      > > If they've changed their plan, I didn't know about it. For the amount they
      > > were charging, I could buy a DVD each month!
      > >
      > > $14.99 for streaming is pricy, but driving 60 miles, even in my TINY
      > > economy car, will cost a little more than $8 in gas. Then add in the rental
      > > fee... and, of course, a little more than 2 hours of time.
      > >
      > > Beth
      > > --- In Why_VHEMT@yahoogroups.com <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
      > > 'Why_VHEMT%40yahoogroups.com');>, Alan Thomas <alankingsleythomas@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > It's a very good movie, but that's pricey.
      > > >
      > > > You are not up to date on Netflix though! Their streaming plans are sold
      > > > separately from disc plans now. If I were you I would definitely think
      > > > about signing up for a disc plan.

      > > have
      > > include a
      > > enough
      > > I'm

      > > 'Why_VHEMT%40yahoogroups.com');> <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',

      > > not
      > > it is
      > > even

      > > the