Re: World population could be nearly 11b by 2100

  • Beth
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 1, 2013
      > You should see the Stephen Soderberg film Contagion if you have not
      > already. I don't mean that recommendation snarkily, as I think it is a
      > great film and seems to be very scientifically accurate. (But even in its
      > worst case scenario, the vast majority of human beings survive.)

      You might want to watch an interview with the CDC director about the scenario in the film, and its results, being extremely accurate, and the risks imposed by the downsizing of the nation's health responders and researchers.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grH79bBY8pI
    • Alan Thomas
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 1, 2013
        Thanks! So you've seen it?

        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 3, 2013
          I have not seen it. I saw the trailer and read reviews, and found the interview with the CDC director.

          I live 60 miles from the nearest video rental store that even might have it or movie theater. Netflix isn't much of an option since they include a lot of streaming with all of their plans, and we do not have fast enough internet service to stream from Netflix. I can from Hulu or Youtube. I'm wondering if it's worth the $14 to pay Youtube to stream it...

          Beth

          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 3, 2013
            It's a very good movie, but that's pricey.

            You are not up to date on Netflix though! Their streaming plans are sold
            separately from disc plans now. If I were you I would definitely think
            about signing up for a disc plan.

            On Wednesday, July 3, 2013, Beth wrote:

            > **
            >

            > I have not seen it. I saw the trailer and read reviews, and found the
            > interview with the CDC director.
            >
            > I live 60 miles from the nearest video rental store that even might have
            > it or movie theater. Netflix isn't much of an option since they include a
            > lot of streaming with all of their plans, and we do not have fast enough
            > internet service to stream from Netflix. I can from Hulu or Youtube. I'm
            > wondering if it's worth the $14 to pay Youtube to stream it...
            >
            > Beth
            >
            > --- In Why_VHEMT@yahoogroups.com <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
            > 'Why_VHEMT%40yahoogroups.com');>, Alan Thomas <alankingsleythomas@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Thanks! So you've seen it?
            > >

            > > On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 12:12 AM, Beth <rudrakrsh@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > **

            > in its
            > > > >

            > > > You might want to watch an interview with the CDC director about the
            > > > scenario in the film, and its results, being extremely accurate, and
            > the
            > > > risks imposed by the downsizing of the nation's health responders and
            > > > researchers.
            > > >
            > > > The Early Show - Could "Contagion" virus happen in real life?<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grH79bBY8pI>

          • Beth
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 6, 2013
              We were on a disc plan, but about 3 years ago they included a limited amount of streaming with it at no extra fee. Then, they changed the plan so that you could get a few discs per month, and unlimited streaming, for about triple the price.

              If they've changed their plan, I didn't know about it. For the amount they were charging, I could buy a DVD each month!

              $14.99 for streaming is pricy, but driving 60 miles, even in my TINY economy car, will cost a little more than $8 in gas. Then add in the rental fee... and, of course, a little more than 2 hours of time.

              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 6, 2013
                To me, getting to watch several discs a month is worth more than buying one
                per month. But then I rarely am interested in watching a movie more than
                once.

                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 9, 2013
                  Ah, but there are other, less-expensive options!

                  For one thing, I can borrow movies from the library. I found a few very good ones that were recently donated too.

                  For another, Hulu can and will stream to me - movies, TV shows, current TV shows on current events... I've got a Hulu "plus" account so I can get more shows and movies, and newer ones. It costs much less than Netflix, and I'm actually getting what I am paying for.

                  I don't buy that many movies. Only occasionally. And, I watch ones I like more than once.

                  I'm literally at the end of the line to get DHL. It's only been available here for a few years, since the Bill & Melinda Gates foundation put in a lot of money to bring it to us.

                  At the same time, I get to live 2 blocks from a farm that grows my corn, 2 blocks from a cattle farm that produces manure for my garden, 1 block from work, in a community with a fertility rate of about 1.2. :) The teenagers don't seem to be in any hurry to have their own kids. One wants to get her doctorate degree first (women with doctorates rarely have kids), another wants to get a masters and get a job for the UN first (that'll at least put it off for quite a number of years - possibly permanently), another is vocal about not living her mother's life of having too many kids (Mom does not like hearing that, telling her that she'll change her mind, as I and others show that might not happen), and another says that she's getting tired of having kids around to babysit - she's looking forward to NOT having kids of her own. And... I'm telling her that it's a viable option, and I (an "old lady" in her view) do not have regrets like some people tell her that she'll have... or "change her mind".

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 9, 2013
                    She needs to hear from me!