Re: Life and rationality

  • Monica
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2013
      I agree, of course, about the fact that the instinct governs the reproduction in order to continue the species. But we are given also reason. Which we should use to analyse and understand and choose for the best. In my opinion it's clear that getting born and living on this planet is not the best choise, so I use rationality which gets me to the logical conclusion that it's better not to reproduce.
      Somebody might say that I decide following my own emotions, but this concerns more, I think, those who choose to reproduce because they think life is lovely so their kids will defenetly love it too.
      Avoiding reproduction I defenetly avoid someone else's suffering, while joys are an optional. We know for sure that pain, frustration, loss, sickess and in the end death are waiting for us during life, while we are less sure about success, fulfillment and happiness, according to thousands of years of human experience.
      If somebody shows me a gorgeous, blue, calm and warm sea, telling me that I can jump in any time I want, just letting me know that under is full of hungry sharks, I think that it will be logic and rationality that will suggest me not to jump, no matter how beautiful and inviting the water may seem.