The Origin of Social Dysfunction: The Pathology of Cultural Delusion

  • kjquen@psnw.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2002
      Someone sent this to me the other day. I haven't finished
      reading it yet, but check it out! I think I finally found
      someone who knows the truth!

      http://www.buildfreedom.com/tl/origin/chapter_1.shtml#CD

      Kquen
    • Les U. Knight
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2002
        Kquen, That's some heavy reading. He does seem to have a good grasp
        on why we behave in such crazy ways. I'd like to read the condensed
        version -- scolarly writing gets tedious for most of us lazy folk
        with short attention spans.

        http://www.buildfreedom.com/tl/origin/chapter_1.shtml#CD

        Below is the conclusion to chapter one, which pretty much sums up our
        situation:

        "Cultural fantasies motivate people and are used as a means of
        control by the institutions of every society. On the average, they
        increasingly have a negative effect and are detrimental to the
        stability of the society and the survival of the species. They
        prevent reality-orientation and rationality. They cloud issues, mask
        the real nature of problems and send us off in wrong directions. They
        act as barriers to learning, to correction and to progress.

        "Most of our fantasies are culturally based and culturally
        transmitted. That is, they are firmly entrenched in the culture and
        its institutions and have long histories of continued acceptance and
        usage. Many fantasies are generated and instilled as an on-going
        process. All are bolstered and maintained by vested interests. They
        cover the complete range of human activity. They are pathological as
        surely as if they were germs, lethal genes or carcinogens.

        "Collectively, cultural fantasies constitute the most devastating
        malignancy of the human species. They may well result in our
        precipitous dissolution as intelligent life. Should this be the case,
        our demise will have been most curious and pitifully stupid: Death by
        Fantasy."

        Yup. The cultural fantasy of true love, marriage, and the baby
        carriage is a package deal that "may well result in our precipitous
        dissolution as intelligent life." I wonder what the author thinks
        about procreation. Other chapters may hold the answer, but they
        weren't available on the net.

        Les

        Reference info:
        THE ORIGIN OF SOCIAL DYSFUNCTION: The Pathology of Cultural Delusion
        By Everett E. Allie
        © Copyright 1999, Everett E. Allie. All Rights Reserved.

        No part of this publication, in whole or in part, in any form, may be
        reproduced for profit beyond that of recovered expenses. No part of
        this publication
        may be quoted out of context or without full reference given. This
        book may be reproduced in its entirety, unaltered in content, on a
        non-profit basis, for
        educational purposes, with written approval of Everett E. Allie or his assigns.