Re: Deaths down, lives lengthen

  • Les Knight
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 6, 2011
      Alan, I know you're referring to curtailing population growth when you write, "trying to control population," and that's the way it's generally used, however, the term may be equally applied to denial of the right to not breed. That's population control as well, and happens nearly everywhere to some degree.

      A focus on females might make sense if we were advocating population control, but VHEMT's voluntary approach focuses on reproductive freedom rather than control.

      Vasectomies can be effective in improving birth rates because human females don't go into heat and mate with whatever male is dominant from the pack. Although we aren't as monogamous as societies' institutions like to pretend, our public pairing reduces sexual partners, making vasectomies effective. They also put a stop to serial impregnators.

      India's preference for male offspring has reduced the number of females born, which will influence population growth more than if the gender imbalance were the other way around.

      Les

      On 3/26/11 8:28 PM, Alan Thomas wrote:
      > It also doesn't make sense, any time you're trying to control population, to
      > focus on the males in the population. Whether you're talking about humans
      > or other types of animals, this is a foolish approach that is only used
      > because people don't want to face a reality that is not gender-blind. The
      > amount of reproduction that happens in a species is mainly a function of how
      > many fertile females there are, not how many fertile males.
      >
      > I always roll my eyes at campaigns to "spay and neuter" dogs for this
      > reason. Spay the females and you'll keep down the number of unwanted
      > puppies. Neuter the males, and unless you get every single last one, the
      > few that still have testicles will impregnate whatever number of fertile
      > females there are when they go into heat.
      >
      > On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 7:41 PM, Alison Bevege<abevege2002@...>wrote:
      >> It's not the pill
      >> it's Implanon
      >> it's cheap and effective
      >> I agree vasectomies are better but it won't work because men are very
      >> protective of not just their bodies, but culturally they like to feel
      >> "virile" especially in the third world slums where they are fathering 7+
      >> kids. They *like* it. So they are not going to volunteer for vasectomies.
      >> THey are the ones forcing the women to breed, refusing to use condoms.
      >> If you give the women access to the implant then the men have no choice in
      >> the matter. The women can hide it from them, too.
    • Chris Punches
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 6, 2011
        You know, if everyone at VHEMT just drank the kool-aid, it would probably
        make quite a bit of room. Is once every 50 years reasonable for you guys?

        I'll check back in later for replies, I need to cut down some trees.

      • Alison Bevege
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 7, 2011
          Yeah, why not spawn 10 kids while you're at it, Chris
          world needs a LOT more hungry mouths to feed. Go on, be a sport. God told you to do it, it's in the Bible somewhere, or maybe the Koran

          Message 4 of 20 , May 8, 2011
            Chris, your estimate of how many of us there are is rather generous: I think "quite a bit of room" is inaccurate.

            Suppose there are three million who agree with VHEMT, and we all disappear by whatever means. We would be replaced in 14 days due to natural increase.

            You're not alone in thinking that the only way we can improve our population density is through death. Human breeding is such a mental blind spot.

            Incidentally, the Jonestown tragedy was more likely mass murder than mass suicide. Sorta like the children dying of preventable causes who wouldn't have been born if their parents' right to contraception wasn't restricted. Would you call that murder or just negligent homicide?

            Yes, of course you need to cut down some trees -- we all do. That's just one more reason we recommend phasing ourselves out.

            Les

            Message 5 of 20 , May 8, 2011
              Please tell me you're not advocating some kind of genocide.

              On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 8:53 AM, Les Knight <les@...> wrote:

              > Chris, your estimate of how many of us there are is rather generous: I
              > think "quite a bit of room" is inaccurate.
              >
              > Suppose there are three million who agree with VHEMT, and we all disappear
              > by whatever means. We would be replaced in 14 days due to natural increase.
              >
              > You're not alone in thinking that the only way we can improve our
              > population density is through death. Human breeding is such a mental blind
              > spot.
              >
              > Incidentally, the Jonestown tragedy was more likely mass murder than mass
              > suicide. Sorta like the children dying of preventable causes who wouldn't
              > have been born if their parents' right to contraception wasn't restricted.
              > Would you call that murder or just negligent homicide?
              >
              > Yes, of course you need to cut down some trees -- we all do. That's just
              > one more reason we recommend phasing ourselves out.
              >
              > Les
              >

              > On 4/6/11 7:41 AM, Chris Punches wrote:
              > > You know, if everyone at VHEMT just drank the kool-aid, it would probably
              > > make quite a bit of room. Is once every 50 years reasonable for you guys?
              > >
              > > I'll check back in later for replies, I need to cut down some trees.

              > Links

            • Les Knight
              Message 6 of 20 , May 9, 2011
                Alan, are you asking me or Chris? Naturally I'm not, and I suspect Chris wasn't serious about everyone in VHEMT drinking poison to make more room.

                At least one commenter on every article about VHEMT has to suggest we kill ourselves. This one for example: http://www.viceland.com/blogs/en/2011/05/04/this-guy-wants-you-dead/

                Somehow the idea that we shouldn't create more of ourselves translates to killing ourselves.

                Les

                On 5/8/11 12:13 PM, Alan Thomas wrote:
                > Please tell me you're not advocating some kind of genocide.
                >
                > On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 8:53 AM, Les Knight<les@...> wrote:
                >

                >> Chris, your estimate of how many of us there are is rather generous: I
                >> think "quite a bit of room" is inaccurate.
                >>
                >> Suppose there are three million who agree with VHEMT, and we all disappear
                >> by whatever means. We would be replaced in 14 days due to natural increase.
                >>
                >> You're not alone in thinking that the only way we can improve our
                >> population density is through death. Human breeding is such a mental blind
                >> spot.
                >>
                >> Incidentally, the Jonestown tragedy was more likely mass murder than mass
                >> suicide. Sorta like the children dying of preventable causes who wouldn't
                >> have been born if their parents' right to contraception wasn't restricted.
                >> Would you call that murder or just negligent homicide?
                >>
                >> Yes, of course you need to cut down some trees -- we all do. That's just
                >> one more reason we recommend phasing ourselves out.
                >>
                >> Les
                >>

                >> On 4/6/11 7:41 AM, Chris Punches wrote:
                >>> You know, if everyone at VHEMT just drank the kool-aid, it would probably
                >>> make quite a bit of room. Is once every 50 years reasonable for you guys?
                >>>
                >>> I'll check back in later for replies, I need to cut down some trees.

                >> Links

              • Alan Thomas
                Message 7 of 20 , May 9, 2011
                  Les, I was asking you, but not for the reason you inferred. I was reacting
                  to this sentence:

                  "You're not alone in thinking that the only way we can improve our
                  population density is through death."

                  And then your subsequent reference to Jonestown and the fact that it was
                  mostly mass murder rather than truly voluntary mass suicide. Though it was
                  a little ambiguous, I thought you might mean something like "It's
                  true: voluntary suicide of all the VHEMTers won't be enough: we have to kill
                  a fair number on our way out". Anyway, I'm glad that was a misapprehension.
                  On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 8:59 AM, Les Knight <les@...> wrote:

                  > Alan, are you asking me or Chris? Naturally I'm not, and I suspect Chris
                  > wasn't serious about everyone in VHEMT drinking poison to make more room.
                  >
                  > At least one commenter on every article about VHEMT has to suggest we kill
                  > ourselves. This one for example:
                  > http://www.viceland.com/blogs/en/2011/05/04/this-guy-wants-you-dead/
                  >
                  > Somehow the idea that we shouldn't create more of ourselves translates to
                  > killing ourselves.
                  >
                  > Les

                • Anatoly
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 10, 2011
                    To the question: "do you think that we’re about to reach a critical stage where it’s going to be undeniable that we have too many people in the planet and the rich and powerful will start enacting violent population control? – You've answered:
                    "Well I certainly hope not".
                    Contrary to you, my answer is – yes. I completely agree with what is written on
                    Georgia Guidestones - the world population mustn't to exceed 500 millions and I don't
                    care the way it should be achieved, even this way:
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdJ26mfzucQ&feature=related

                    Message 9 of 20 , May 10, 2011
                      Sick and disgusting.

                      On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 2:53 AM, Anatoly <anatoly1938@...> wrote:

                      > To the question: "do you think that we�re about to reach a critical stage
                      > where it�s going to be undeniable that we have too many people in the planet
                      > and the rich and powerful will start enacting violent population control? �
                      > You've answered:
                      > "Well I certainly hope not".
                      > Contrary to you, my answer is � yes. I completely agree with what is
                      > written on
                      > Georgia Guidestones - the world population mustn't to exceed 500 millions
                      > and I don't
                      > care the way it should be achieved, even this way:
                      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdJ26mfzucQ&feature=related

                    • Anatoly
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 10, 2011
                        What is exactly sick and disgusting, my friend:
                        The message of the Georgia Guide Stones:

                        1. Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.
                        2. Guide reproduction wisely - improving fitness and diversity.
                        3. Unite humanity with a living new language.
                        4. Rule passion - faith - tradition - and all things with tempered reason.
                        5. Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.
                        6. Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court.
                        7. Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
                        8. Balance personal rights with social duties.
                        9. Prize truth - beauty - love - seeking harmony with the infinite.
                        10. Be not a cancer on the earth - Leave room for nature - Leave room for nature.
                        http://loveforlife.com.au/node/5958

                        or the miserable reality, where billions of swarming unnecessary
                        human beings pollute and destroy our Earth?
                        > To the question: "do you think that we’re about to reach a critical stage
                        > where it’s going to be undeniable that we have too many people in the planet
                        > and the rich and powerful will start enacting violent population control? –
                        > You've answered:
                        > "Well I certainly hope not".
                        > Contrary to you, my answer is – yes. I completely agree with what is
                        > written on
                        > Georgia Guidestones - the world population mustn't to exceed 500 millions
                        > and I don't
                        > care the way it should be achieved, even this way:
                        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdJ26mfzucQ&feature=related

                      • Alison Bevege
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 10, 2011
                          What a drama queen video that was.
                          All that is needed for a sensible population of the earth is simply to promote the use of contraceptives in the 3rd world, and make them readily available and free to use for men and women.
                          Problem solved.
                          Given a choice, most women don't really want to have 9+ babies they can't feed. Give them contraceptives and they will be more productive and lift themselves out of poverty.

                          > To the question: "do you think that we’re about to reach a critical stage
                          > where it’s going to be undeniable that we have too many people in the planet
                          > and the rich and powerful will start enacting violent population control? –
                          > You've answered:
                          > "Well I certainly hope not".
                          > Contrary to you, my answer is – yes. I completely agree with what is
                          > written on
                          > Georgia Guidestones - the world population mustn't to exceed 500 millions
                          > and I don't
                          > care the way it should be achieved, even this way:
                          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdJ26mfzucQ&feature=related

                        • Les Knight
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 10, 2011
                            The video makes the same mistake I mentioned earlier: they say the only way to reduce the human population to 500 million is to kill off 90% of humanity. As we in VHEMT know, all we have to do is stop breeding. No early deaths needed.

                            The message of the Georgia Guide Stones:
                            1. Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.
                            2. Guide reproduction wisely - improving fitness and diversity.
                            3. Unite humanity with a living new language.
                            4. Rule passion - faith - tradition - and all things with tempered reason.
                            5. Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.
                            6. Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court.
                            7. Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
                            8. Balance personal rights with social duties.
                            9. Prize truth - beauty - love - seeking harmony with the infinite.
                            10. Be not a cancer on the earth - Leave room for nature - Leave room for nature.

                            Seems to me a better list than the Ten Commandments. The second advocates eugenics, but in a non-racist manner. Naturally eugenics requires breeding.

                            Someone with a lot of money decided to send a message to all of humanity for a very long time. What would you say if you had this opportunity?

                            Les
                          • Alan Thomas
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 10, 2011
                              Without "swarming unnecessary" living beings on its surface (including human
                              beings), the Earth is just a big rock. The Earth itself cannot really be
                              polluted, although the ecosystem as we (biologically and temperamentally)
                              prefer it can be altered in ways that constitute pollution as we understand
                              it.

                              But that ecosystem was already massively altered (polluted) multiple times,
                              most recently by an asteroid collision 65 million years ago. Had that not
                              happened, we would not be here today, and the Earth that you strive to
                              maintain in a mythical "pure" state would look quite different than it does
                              (quite different than it would even without humans on it). There is no such
                              thing as "balance" in nature; nature is always in a state of flux and humans
                              are part of that.