Tom P.

  • Les U. Knight
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2001
      Tom wrote:
      >The more begging question is why shouldn't I reproduce. <

      And Les replies:
      For the same reasons no one else should, not at this time at least.

      >I don't care if the world goes down in flames after I'm dead. <

      You are not alone in feeling this way. If you were not planning on
      sentencing someone to life in a world that will go "down in flames"
      after you're dead, this wouldn't be a grossly immoral and
      irresponsible attitude. It would simply be self-centered.

      >In fact, let's say I want an heir. <

      You are free to designate almost anyone as an heir to your material
      wealth. Maybe they could use your fireproof suit in case the world
      goes down in flames.

      Seriously though, what will we leave our heirs in the human family? A
      world with degrading life-support systems, edging ever closer to a
      massive dieoff?

      >I want to have a family life. <

      Naturally. There's no need to breed to form a family, and breeding
      doesn't guarantee that you will have a family life.

      >I say we just keep on reproducing until us humans become extinction
      on our own.<

      This is the most likely path we will continue on into the future. It
      doesn't have to be this way.

      For a better world,
      Les