Yellow-Spotted Bell Frogs...

  • Michael (Frish) Frishberg
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 4, 2010
      From the article referenced below:

      "The rediscovery of the yellow-spotted bell frog is a reminder of the need
      to protect natural habitats so "future generations can enjoy the noise and
      color of our native animals," said Frank Sartor, minister for environment
      and climate change."

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100304/ap_on_sc/as_australia_rare_frog_found

      Actually, having future generations enjoying the sights and sounds of
      species is not much of a goal...

      We have no clue of the role of each distinct specie (most of which we have
      yet to even discover (since most species are microscopic)) in the
      interdependent web of chemistry known as life on Planet Earth. So, one
      would think keeping ALL species around would be the smart thing to do...

      Individually we are smart. As a group we seem unable to act with wisdom.

      --
      Cheers,

      Frish

    • alxbates
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 7, 2010
        Individually SOME people are smart. By definition, half of the population of humanity is of below average intelligence.

        I don't know at what point above average you would start to describe people as 'smart', but in no way is a majority in that category.

        -Alex in Alaska

        --- In Why_VHEMT@yahoogroups.com, "Michael (Frish) Frishberg" <frishberg@...> wrote:

        > Individually we are smart. As a group we seem unable to act with wisdom.
        >
        > --
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Frish
      • Michael (Frish) Frishberg
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 8, 2010
          Posted by: "alxbates" alxbates@... alxbates
          Sun Mar 7, 2010 7:30 pm (PST)

          Individually SOME people are smart. By definition, half of the population of
          humanity is of below average intelligence.

          I don't know at what point above average you would start to describe people
          as 'smart', but in no way is a majority in that category.
          -Alex in Alaska
          Nice one Alex.
          I was comparing all humans to all species in general.
          Take, for example, my (now dead) mentally retarded* brother, John, who, even
          if he had trouble doing almost any everyday task (IQ around 40 or so), he
          was smarter than a squirrel for example. (He could take direction, speak
          and respond to questions, mostly get dressed by himself, etc...so he was way
          smarter than a squirrel, or any other plant or animal!)

          Cheers,

          Frish
          *For those politically correct folk, we called him mentally retarded, it was
          accurate then and I don't think it is denegrating now...in any case, he was
          smarter than a squirrel for sure...

        • Daniel M. Schiller
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 8, 2010
            howdy frish,

            i have a slight doubt whether taking directions is an evidence for "smartness". and i think that squirrels also answer (squirrel-) questions. aaand i think your brother who may rest in peace wasn't that smart in running up trees. so what i wanna say is that your definition of a squirrel's smartness is fairly anthropocentric, or, to cut the line short: from a squirrel's pov your comparison is pretty lame... ;)

            best,
            daniel.

            “Never apologize for your food!” (Isa Chandra Moskowitz)

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 8, 2010
              Fair enough, I was making an intra-species comparison statement.

              I agree that even humans at the low end of the curve are smarter than squirrels.

              -Alex