Search for intelligent life

  • JG Miller
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2008
      http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/20569/page1/

      Interesting argument that no evidence of extraterrestrial life on Mars is good news for humanity. The typical technologist's
      assumptions are made that a good or successful future for humanity is one that is very long, with humanity always expanding, and
      sees our expansion to other planets and star systems for resource exploitation.

      "So where is the Great Filter? Behind us, or not behind us?
      If the Great Filter is ahead of us, we have still to confront it. If it is true that almost all intelligent species go extinct
      before they master the technology for space colonization, then we must expect that our own species will, too, since we have no
      reason to think that we will be any luckier than other species. If the Great Filter is ahead of us, we must relinquish all hope of
      ever colonizing the galaxy, and we must fear that our adventure will end soon--or, at any rate, prematurely. Therefore, we had
      better hope that the Great Filter is behind us."

      While the author takes pains to explore many avenues in his labyrinthine argument, he doesn't consider the success of a civilization
      that lives on, non-dramatically and sustainably, within the context of its own nurturing planet. In his view, intelligence goes
      hand in hand with an innate drive to expand and conquer, and is never compared to wisdom. There is a profound under-appreciation of
      finiteness, mortality, and death.

      Jim
    • Les U. Knight
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2008
        That may be the Great Filter in front of us: the arrogant attitude
        which brought us to this point doesn't include leaving well enough
        alone -- living within our means and ceasing expansion.

        The concept you describe isn't considered a solution by the author,
        Nick Bostrum, who explores human extinction risks at great lengths.
        http://www.nickbostrom.com/existential/risks.html In 5.2 of this
        paper, he sees it as a threat to humanity: "Misguided world
        government or another static social equilibrium stops technological
        progress."

        From 4.7 Something unforeseen
        Some foreseen hazards (hence not members of the current category)
        which have been excluded from the list of bangs on grounds that they
        seem too unlikely to cause a global terminal disaster are: solar
        flares, supernovae, black hole explosions or mergers, gamma-ray
        bursts, galactic center outbursts, supervolcanos, loss of
        biodiversity, buildup of air pollution, gradual loss of human
        fertility, and various religious doomsday scenarios. The hypothesis
        that we will one day become "illuminated" and commit collective
        suicide or stop reproducing, as supporters of VHEMT (The Voluntary
        Human Extinction Movement) hope [43], appears unlikely. If it really
        were better not to exist (as Silenus told king Midas in the Greek
        myth, and as Arthur Schopenhauer argued [44] although for reasons
        specific to his philosophical system he didn't advocate suicide),
        then we should not count this scenario as an existential disaster.

        He's as concerned about preventing human extinction as we are
        concerned about making it happen.

        Les

        Jim wrote:
        While the author takes pains to explore many avenues in his
        labyrinthine argument, he doesn't consider the success of a
        civilization
        that lives on, non-dramatically and sustainably, within the context
        of its own nurturing planet. In his view, intelligence goes
        hand in hand with an innate drive to expand and conquer, and is never
        compared to wisdom. There is a profound under-appreciation of
        finiteness, mortality, and death.

      • Sky Lark
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2008
          Bye-bye birdie!!!!!!!!!!

          Gotta fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

          Good-bye Kate Derrick

          Good-bye Norma Jean Baker

          Arthur Miller you're dead meat

          YOKO ONO

          Yes I'm a witch, I'm a bitch, I don't care what you say
          My voice is real, my voice speaks truth, I don't fit in your ways
          I'm not gonna die for you, you might as well face the truth
          I'm gonna stick around for quite a while

          Each time we don't say what we wanna say, we're dying
          each time we close our minds to how we feel, we're dying
          each time we dares to do what we wanna do, we're living
          Each time we're open to what we see and hear, we're living

          We'll free you from the ghettos of your minds
          We'll free you from your fears and binds
          we know you want things to stay as it is
          It's gonna change baby
          it's gonna change baby doll, it's gonna channge honey ball
          it's gonna change sugar cane, It's gonna change sweetie legs

          SO DON"T TRY AND MAKE COCK-PECKED PEOPLE OUT OF US

          Yes, I'm a witch, I'm a bitch, I don't care what you say
          my voice is real, my voice speaks truth, I don't fit on your ways
          I'm not gonna die for you, you might as well face the truth
          I'm gonna stick around for quite a while

          Who killed Marilyn Monroe?

          "Diamonds are a girl's best friend"

          She now lives with the stars.

          Knight is such a cool last name

          Perhaps I will use it as my stage name - but I"m NEVER getting married

          I don't want to marry you

          I just don't want a common name

          I AM NORMA - read the opera, but of course, that wouldn't be interesting, would it?

          Arthur Miller is such an ordinary writer, and so is Shakespeare. Really overrated. Whatever did woman see in these idiots?

          "The Taming of the Shrew"

          "Kiss me Kate"

          "I am ashamed that women are so simple
          to offer war when they should kneel for peace
          to offer mere supremacy and sway
          when they should honour and worship and obey"

          CROCK OF SHIT

          "I never belonged to anybody, so I belonged to the world"

          Marilyn Monroe

          They say is was suicide, but really she died at the hands of STUPID WHITE MEN.

          MY NEW NAME IS RAQUEL DON"T CALL ME KATE

          I am not insane. I have parents who told me not to be smart

          "SMART"

          If you want it, you have to pay

          SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW OH NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO OH NO OH NO

          YOU CAN ALL GET FUCKED!!!! LOFL I mean that in the nicest possible way.

          FUCK WITH ME AND I"LL HAVE YOU FOR DINNER

          In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight...............................

          The lioness stalks her prey...............

          PREY Michael Crichton

          Yes I am a witch.