Re: Why VHEMT? We need to eat less meat

  • emma riedel
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2006
      Great that you have an opportunity to be proactive.

      Some points - if we ate less meat there would be enough to feed everyone. Quite simple. Unfortunately it is a gargantuan task to get people to change their lifestyles - to live simply in order that others may simply live. If we all were vegetarian, there would be no problem with hunger - how much are we prepared to give up for others???

      Overpopulation, however, continues to be a problem as far as degradation of the environment is concerned. We should be able to support the entire human population comfortably without environmental degradation in an ideal world. This is not possible in reality. With our numbers we can't even all live simply without the earth suffering.

      Assisting those in need is venerable, however it is best when the impoverished don't produce offspring. What kind of life do they have to offer their children??? If I weren't so unstable mentally I would consider the idea of adopting a child from one of these countries.

      chew the Fit <chewthefit@...> wrote:
      we have a plane

      we have AUD$2mill

      we have volunteer pilots,

      donated jet fuel,

      a TV documentary crew,

      volunteer surgeons, nurses, engineers, educators.....

      we have a vague mission statement....

      maybe some thing like: "making connections between people with skills with
      children with needs"

      we fly to nadi, fiji in Jan 2007, then once a month to other Asia Pacicfic
      destinations....

      recon crews go ahead to seek "connections" with local Non government and
      government agencies...

      Social scientists and anthropologists will assess needs.

      Logisticians will plan ahead...

      Accountants will balance ledgers....

      Information technologists will do what ever thay do...

      Public relations people and Marketeers will promote the cause...

      I have dreamt of this sort of stuff since I was 7 years old sitting in
      Sunday school listening to Missionaries.

      I don't want to save the world, I just want to make poverty history........

      regards,

      waterb0y