Re: Why total extinction?

  • billbeus@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2001
      I think it's important to listen when someone tells us the webpage is
      unclear. Especially when that person seems to be open-minded.

      Rather than blame the reader, why not try to pin point what exactly
      could be done to help change the site to make it clearer.

      The reason, I'd say, behind total erradication would be to ensure that
      future generations don't make the same mistakes we did. It would only
      be a matter of time before the population grew again, so long as we
      maintained any kind of agriculture whatsoever. If we resorted to
      Hunting and Gathering, then eventually someone would rediscover
      agriculture and break off into their own tribe. The problem with
      Agriculture is that an increase in food produces and increase in
      population. And an increase in population produces and increase in
      food. It's been snowballing since the days of Mesopotamia.

      Only natural counter actions to population growth such as pestilience,
      plague and sanitation issues have kept it in check. The reason for
      the Bubonic Plague outbreak of 1348 was that the population was
      growing faster than their technology for keeping their cities clean.
      But even then, we were overpopulated. Millions of acres of forest
      were chopped and burned during the Middle Ages, when we had the worst
      technology and know-how of all.

      The only reason that we're so overpopulated is because of the
      Industrial Revolution. We can grow and grow and grow with no APPARENT
      side-effects. However, it's not us who are picking up the trash. We
      pass it off to other countries and to other species. Meanwhile, we
      gradually get more and more distant from that hunter-gatherer
      easy-going mentality and have to deal with shit like national ID
      cards, being piled on top of one another and breathing carcinogenic
      air.

      > Cheers to Wendy for making such an important decision. My respect
      > goes out to you even deeper for wanting to adopt; Not breeding and
      > adopting helps very, very much.
      >
      > Oh, and I think the explanation on the VHEMT websides illustrates
      it
      > (refering to your question on Why Eradication) quite well. I don't
      > know about a "blonde moment", I just think that some people
      > understand certain issues more clearly than others. Like me, I can't
      > stand math class because I'm more into the literary happenings and
      > the fact that I have a more difficult time understanding math than
      > the average idiot :)
      >
      > Cheers!
      > -Chuck
      >

      > --- In Why_VHEMT@y..., "Wendy" <pebblesf1313@y...> wrote:
      > > I've already decided not to have children for many of the reasons
      > > given on the website. I have decided that at some point, I would
      > like
      > > to adopt an older child who is already here and needs a home.My
      > > question is, why must it be all or nothing? Why does the human
      race
      > > need to be completely eradicated? Wouldn't a massive decrease in
      > > reproduction allow for a human population to survive that is
      > > comfortably sustainable by the earth's resources? I'm asking this
      > > because, in reality, neither event is ever likely to occur and I'm
      > > just curious as to why you've chosen to support the extreme
      option.
      > > may be having a major blonde moment, but your website did not
      > > adequately illustrate to me why we should strive for extinction as
      > > opposed to adequate reduction.
    • Les U. Knight
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2001
        Bill wrote:
        >I think it's important to listen when someone tells us the webpage is
        unclear. Especially when that person seems to be open-minded.

        Rather than blame the reader, why not try to pin point what exactly
        could be done to help change the site to make it clearer.<

        Bill, you must have missed messge #162.

        Wendy, I should have announced the addition of that
        question-and-answer to the website when I did it. It may be found at
        http://www.vhemt.org/ecology.htm#whyv . I hope you didn't feel as if
        anyone was blaming you for not finding a specific answer to your
        question. I didn't read any messages that way anyway.

        To save you the trouble of going there:

        Q: Why extinction? Why not just get our population down to a sustainable size?

        VHEMT Supporters favor this goal, while Volunteers see extinction as
        the only sure way to avoid breeding ourselves back to today's density.

        Introduction of one breeding pair of an exotic species is all it
        takes to disrupt an ecosystem and cause extinctions of native
        species. We have evolved into a virtual exotic invader of Earth's
        biosphere as a whole, incompatible with undomesticated life forms.

        If we use a balance scale like blind Justice holds, place all the
        species going extinct on one side, and place us on the other --
        giving us about a 100,000 times more weight just because we can --
        the sales will tip in favor of our extinction, even with our weighted
        advantage.

        Perhaps by considering our own extinction, some may more fully
        appreciate what the extinction of other species means. Big thicket
        hog-nosed skunks and rabbit-eared tree rats may be difficult for us
        to identify with, but then so are some people's in-laws.

        Les