Re: Not rationally thought out

  • andycmith@juno.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2001
      --- In Why_VHEMT@y..., shane@s... wrote:
      > Yes, but the most effective way to transmit your ideals is through
      > your children. Just look at cultural tradition, racial hatreds,
      > etc.
      >
      > By denying yourself the ability to propogate your ideas through your
      > children, you more than halve your chance of tranmitting your ideals
      > to others.

      Are you suggesting that we should breed in order to transmit the
      ideal that people should not breed?

      andy
    • dr_nefario@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 5, 2001
        Les says:

        >"We aren't trying to extinguish anyone. Considering the future we're
        creating, the only sane rate of reproduction is zero."

        ..Which is a little odd because he obviously is trying to extinguish
        EVERYONE. Bit of a contradiction there, eh?

        Another questionable statement:

        >"Yeah, seems like it huh? Do you think a species this greedy should
        continue to reproduce?"

        Yes, humanity as a whole is greedy. But humanity is in fact the most
        selfless species ever to walk the earth. Think about it. Has any
        other species ever founded a charity? Has a member of any other
        species ever considered making an attempt to phase its own species
        out for the benefit of the biosphere?

        No. Humanity has done terrible things in the past and will continue
        to do terrible things in the future, but humanity has its good points
        too. Man is the most self-aware animal in history. No other creature
        realizes that the Earth is round. Man is the creature most capable of
        realizing beauty and truth, and for that it should continue to exist
        for as long as possible.
      • Les U. Knight
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 6, 2001
          Les says:
          "We aren't trying to extinguish anyone. Considering the future we're
          creating, the only sane rate of reproduction is zero."

          >..Which is a little odd because he obviously is trying to extinguish
          >EVERYONE. Bit of a contradiction there, eh?<

          We just have a little difference of definition here. I don't think anyone
          can be extinguished without first existing. Everyone alive today will be
          extinguished soon enough, there's no need to rush things along.

          >Has a member of any other species ever considered making an attempt to
          >phase its own species out for the benefit of the biosphere?<

          No, you're right, we're special. VHEMT is based on our ability to realize
          truth and beauty and stuff. If we were hopelessly greedy, there would be no
          chance that all of us would choose to stop breeding for the sake of other
          life forms.

          Les
        • Evil grrl I am
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 30, 2001
            --- In Why_VHEMT@y..., shane@s... wrote:
            > --- In Why_VHEMT@y..., "Les U. Knight" <les@v...> wrote:
            > > Shane points out:
            > >
            > > >Assume that there are a number of people who are trying to help
            the
            > > biosphere. Presumably some of these will join your cause.
            However,
            > > none of the people who don't want to help the biosphere will join
            your
            > > cause.
            > >
            > > Time goes on. You don't breed. Everybody else does. What's the
            nett
            > > effect? Less people worried about the biosphere.<
            > >
            > > This is an awareness and it doesn't have to be inherited, it can
            be
            > > achieved by each one of us. We don't have to breed more people,
            just
            > > help those already here to realize that we should stop.
            >
            > Yes, but the most effective way to transmit your ideals is through
            > your children. Just look at cultural tradition, racial hatreds,
            etc.

            > By denying yourself the ability to propogate your ideas through your
            > children, you more than halve your chance of tranmitting your ideals
            > to others.

            Not so. One can always propogate their ideas to any of the
            people around them. It needn't be any offspring of their own. I've
            passed on several ideas to my friends, and vice versa.

            > And, yes, I do think we should continue to reproduce. I feel very
            > sorry for you if you are so blinded by your philosophy that you
            can't
            > see the good side of humanity, and wish to deny future generations
            > from enjoying an existance. Your life must be very melancholy.
            >
            > -Shane Stephens

            That which never existed will miss nothing. BTW, not every
            existance is enjoyed...

            ..Mis