Re: Pack Your Bags

  • Valerie K
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2008
      After Sharon's, we can hop on the Tollway and come to my house in Juneau, in SE WI. It's relatively slow paced here, so we can relax a bit. There's not much in Juneau (although it is the County Seat for Dodge County) but the County Fair is coming up and in the surrounding communities we have some fun stops.

      If you're into history, we can go see the Antique Car Museum or tour The Octagon House.  If you're more into visiting local industry, we could visit a couple sheep farms that spin and sell or go to the Jim's Cheese House - aside from the 10 foot mouse statue in front of the store, their other novelty is cute little "cheese cut-outs" - pieces of cheddar that are cut in the shape of something, then wax coated with appropriate colors; aside from the expected shapes of cow, barn, cheese wedge and mouse, there's bells, boots, cats,
      dogs, motorcycles, footballs and other sports, sheep, pigs, chickens and something for whichever holiday - ghosts, pumpkins, turkeys, pilgrims, snowman, christmas tree, heart, etc.  They also have ice cream!

      Then there's the stop by the chocolatier (yummy! and more ice cream!), tour Berres Bros. Coffee Roaster (and sit and sip a while!) or visit The Market, a large indoor shopping area that sells local antiques and locally made honey, soaps, etc.  If you're up for a ride, about 1 hour north is a huge Amish community with shops selling their produce, handmade furniture, groceries, cheeses.

      I'm packing some new yarn I got from Dahara Dreaming for some socks, as well as Dead Sleep, since I'm almost done with it.  Maybe Sharon could bring us some treats - I'd love some Dunkin' Donuts!  ~ Valerie K

      --- In WhoDuKnit@yahoogroups.com, Sharon Hankus <skh5424@...> wrote:

      ...I live near Chicago, Illinois. Lots of sites to see downtown, if you like, or we can stay in the suburbs, and just rent a van. DH will chaffeur, and we can tour the yarn shops and restaurants... I'll bring some Cascade 220, my crochet hooks, and make some winter caps...
    • Jane Vdoviak

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 2008
          Dunkin Donuts are only good for one day. I'll bring some Chicago
          Pizza!!

          --- In WhoDuKnit@yahoogroups.com, Jane Vdoviak <grammieknits@...>

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1, 2008
            I'm so homesick, I'll eat them stale, LOL! And the coffee is always
            tasty. But a real pizza, oh, yummy, yummy, yummy! ~ Valerie K

          • neilleann@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 2, 2008
              Many years ago, I was born outside Chicago. Keep talking about wanting to come back for a visit....and I will someday! Now I can do it virtually!

              danielle
              www.longaberger.com/daniellenabozny
              http://www.grannydani.blogspot.com/

              "Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write"
              John Adams, 1765

            • linenlady9
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 30, 2008
                Hello, Sharon,

                Thanks for sharing a bit about Chicago. I've been there once when I
                was in grade school, on a weekend trip (I lived in Kansas at the
                time), and it seemed like a huge city to me. Since then, I've been in
                the airport, but that's about all. I can see I'll have to fix that
                one of these days, and we can make winter caps together for the 'Snug
                Hugs for Kids' project.

                Joyce in NH

                --- In WhoDuKnit@yahoogroups.com, Sharon Hankus <skh5424@...> wrote:

                > I live near Chicago, Illinois. Lots of sites to see downtown, if you
                like, or we can stay in the suburbs, and just rent a van. DH will
                chaffeur, and we can tour the yarn shops and restaurants.
                > I'll bring some Cascade 220, my crochet hooks, and make some winter
                caps, for the 'Snug Hugs for Kids' project that meets in St. Charles,
                Ill, every November. They usually hand out the warm clothing at Christmas.
                > Caio,
                > Sharon H.
              • linenlady9
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 31, 2008
                  Valerie, is it all right if I bring my youngest DD to visit? She
                  LOVES cheese, and claims Wisconsin as her own, even though she has
                  never been there. You have some fun things to see, it sounds like.
                  Thanks for the description.

                  Joyce in NH