Re: visit my town

  • Barbara S.
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 31, 2008
      If we are going to Owatonna, we might as well stop by Rochester, it is
      just down/up the road a little bit! (Especially if you like Chihuly
      glass and other art. The Mayo Clinic has a bunch of famous artist's
      works and some nice architecture to see.) Plus Assisi Heights is
      beautiful and has tours.
      Barbara Solbrig
    • Janet Martin
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 31, 2008

        Ok--I know about mint juleps and NC. We have a club here in town NAMED mint juleps. I tried to order one there and no one had the slightest clue how to make it--not to mention no fresh mint. Had I but known, I could have brought a bushel since the person we bought our house from didn't know that you HAVE to grow it in a pot or it will take over the entire yard. It really smells good when my husband does the yard work!

        Hi--I'm still way to busy to do more than lurk from time to time, but am excited to see all of the activity on the group!! Golfers are welcome here in Pinehurst, but we have way more than that to offer.

        --Janet

        Subject : Re: [WhoDuKnit] Re:visit my town
        Date : Thu, 31 Jul 2008 09:19:07 -0700 (PDT)
        From : Jane Vdoviak <grammieknits@...>
        To : WhoDuKnit@yahoogroups.com

        Get those mint julep's ready!

        I live in Jacksonville North Carolina which is the home of Camp LeJeune Marine Corps base. We have thousands and thousands of brave men and women who help keep us safe day and night. Knowing how controversial the whole miitary subject is, I have to say, I was born and raise Marine Corps and then married a marine pilot. That being said, there is much to see and do here. The base itself is amazing, to see how the men and women live and work. Other than that, we have the Atlantic Ocean, meaning wonderful beaches, close. Also, many historical battle sites from the Civil War, both land and sea. A little south of us is Wilmington NC where there are still on beautiful plantations to tour. Great seafood and bar-b-que to be eaten. The only downside I can see is you will need to be prepared for the heat...we do have some! Y'all come and have a mint julep with me!
        Joyce in NC

      • kadezmom
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 20, 2008
          I've never had a mint Julep, but I'd like to try!

          I am a Marine's daughter. He went into the reserves a couple of years
          before I was born....but guess where he went to summer camp most
          years! Yep. He was visiting you! How cool is that??? I've seen 29
          Palms.....but not this one (can't remember how to spell it at the
          moment) Good for you, being a Marine's wife....it isn't an easy job
          either, but then again, nothing is.

          Thanks for doing the tour!
        • jrlaurie@ec.rr.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 20, 2008
            Glad to give you a little insite to our town. I know you will love mint juleps!
            ---- kadezmom <kadezmom@...> wrote:
            > I've never had a mint Julep, but I'd like to try!
            >
            > I am a Marine's daughter. He went into the reserves a couple of years
            > before I was born....but guess where he went to summer camp most
            > years! Yep. He was visiting you! How cool is that??? I've seen 29
            > Palms.....but not this one (can't remember how to spell it at the
            > moment) Good for you, being a Marine's wife....it isn't an easy job
            > either, but then again, nothing is.
            >
            > Thanks for doing the tour!

          • linenlady9
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 30, 2008
              Barbara, your town sounds really interesting. I would love to visit
              you there. I'll have to look up what Chihuly glass is and learn more
              about it, in preparation for my trip :).

              Joyce in NH

              --- In WhoDuKnit@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara S." <bbsol@...> wrote:

              > If we are going to Owatonna, we might as well stop by Rochester, it is
              > just down/up the road a little bit! (Especially if you like Chihuly
              > glass and other art. The Mayo Clinic has a bunch of famous artist's
              > works and some nice architecture to see.) Plus Assisi Heights is
              > beautiful and has tours.
              > Barbara Solbrig

            • linenlady9
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 31, 2008
                Joyce, Your town sounds really great. It sounds relaxing and
                historical, and a great way to learn about the men and women of the
                Marine Corps. Heat is not my favorite thing, so maybe I'll visit in
                February, how's that? :)

                Joyce in NH (another Joyce here!)