My Town

  • hollyjw131
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 28, 2008
      I am located in the beautiful Catskill mountain area of NY. We are
      about 70 miles north of New York City. The setting for the movie
      Dirty Dancing was shot just about 15 miles from me...and yes the
      resorts were very much like the movie in their hay day. Unfortunately
      for a lot of people, they no longer exhist. But people like Jerry
      Lewis, Dean Martin and Bob Hope were regulars in the area. For those
      of you that like to use maps, it is up Route 17. The name of the town
      Is Middletown (don't know why...we are not in the middle of anything
      important!)
      One of the biggest attractions around here is historical in nature.
      George Washington home (Monticello) and also we are about 45 minutes
      from West Point. That is beautiful to go see.
      We also ahve the Roosevelt Mansion in Hyde
      park (as well as the Culinary Institute right down the road!)
      My nephew and grandsons played footbal championship games at mitchis
      Stadium at West point...what a thrill.
      There are of course many attractions in NYC....Statue of Liberty,
      Empire State Building and of course the site of the World Trade
      Center. We lost many local residents to the World Trade Center
      disaster. Very sad day indeed around here..... and still is.
      On a lighter note we can go see broadway plays, go to Rockefeller
      Center for the christmas tree lighting and of course catch a Yankee
      ball game or two.
      And for the more relaxed tourist, there are day cruises on the Hudson
      River...some paddleboat, some regular small ferry type liners. We
      could all sit on deck, relax, share a drink and of course knit away.
      I hope you enjoyed a little about my area....if you want to know
      anything else, please ask me! If I don't know it, I will find it out.
      Thanks for reading this!
      Holly
    • Jane Vdoviak

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 30, 2008
          I know your area, too. I grew up in the lower Hudson Valley and my
          parents now live in the Cooperstown area to your northwest. While
          all the knitters are visiting you, you can send the significant
          others flyfishing or tubing!--Stephanie
          WhoDuKnit@yahoogroups.com, "hollyjw131" <hjw@...> wrote:

          > I am located in the beautiful Catskill mountain area of NY. We are
          > about 70 miles north of New York City. The setting for the movie
          > Dirty Dancing was shot just about 15 miles from me...and yes the
          > resorts were very much like the movie in their hay day.
          Unfortunately
          > for a lot of people, they no longer exhist. But people like Jerry
          > Lewis, Dean Martin and Bob Hope were regulars in the area. For
          those
          > of you that like to use maps, it is up Route 17. The name of the
          town
          > Is Middletown (don't know why...we are not in the middle of
          anything
          > important!)
          > One of the biggest attractions around here is historical in nature.
          > George Washington home (Monticello) and also we are about 45
          minutes
          > from West Point. That is beautiful to go see.
          > We also ahve the Roosevelt Mansion in Hyde
          > park (as well as the Culinary Institute right down the road!)
          > My nephew and grandsons played footbal championship games at
          mitchis
          > Stadium at West point...what a thrill.
          > There are of course many attractions in NYC....Statue of Liberty,
          > Empire State Building and of course the site of the World Trade
          > Center. We lost many local residents to the World Trade Center
          > disaster. Very sad day indeed around here..... and still is.
          > On a lighter note we can go see broadway plays, go to Rockefeller
          > Center for the christmas tree lighting and of course catch a Yankee
          > ball game or two.
          > And for the more relaxed tourist, there are day cruises on the
          Hudson
          > River...some paddleboat, some regular small ferry type liners. We
          > could all sit on deck, relax, share a drink and of course knit away.
          > I hope you enjoyed a little about my area....if you want to know
          > anything else, please ask me! If I don't know it, I will find it
          out.
          > Thanks for reading this!

          > Holly

        • linenlady9
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 31, 2008
            Hello, Holly,

            I would love to visit your area in NY. I may have even driven through
            it at one time, and I lived in West Point when my Dad was stationed
            there when I was a child. But that was a long time ago. You have so
            many things to see! What fun it would be to take a trip to your area.
            Maybe we could see a Yankee's vs. Red Sox game, and see both of our
            teams at the same time :).

            Joyce in NH

            --- In WhoDuKnit@yahoogroups.com, "hollyjw131" <hjw@...> wrote:

            > I am located in the beautiful Catskill mountain area of NY. We are
            > about 70 miles north of New York City. The setting for the movie
            > Dirty Dancing was shot just about 15 miles from me...and yes the
            > resorts were very much like the movie in their hay day. Unfortunately
            > for a lot of people, they no longer exhist. But people like Jerry
            > Lewis, Dean Martin and Bob Hope were regulars in the area. For those
            > of you that like to use maps, it is up Route 17. The name of the town
            > Is Middletown (don't know why...we are not in the middle of anything
            > important!)
            > One of the biggest attractions around here is historical in nature.
            > George Washington home (Monticello) and also we are about 45 minutes
            > from West Point. That is beautiful to go see.
            > We also ahve the Roosevelt Mansion in Hyde
            > park (as well as the Culinary Institute right down the road!)
            > My nephew and grandsons played footbal championship games at mitchis
            > Stadium at West point...what a thrill.
            > There are of course many attractions in NYC....Statue of Liberty,
            > Empire State Building and of course the site of the World Trade
            > Center. We lost many local residents to the World Trade Center
            > disaster. Very sad day indeed around here..... and still is.
            > On a lighter note we can go see broadway plays, go to Rockefeller
            > Center for the christmas tree lighting and of course catch a Yankee
            > ball game or two.
            > And for the more relaxed tourist, there are day cruises on the Hudson
            > River...some paddleboat, some regular small ferry type liners. We
            > could all sit on deck, relax, share a drink and of course knit away.
            > I hope you enjoyed a little about my area....if you want to know
            > anything else, please ask me! If I don't know it, I will find it out.
            > Thanks for reading this!
            > Holly

          • Holly
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 31, 2008
              That would be lots of fun! Always had a rivalry with friends in Boston about the Sox...I even put a Yankee's bumper sticker on their car one time! (made it easy to remove for them)..They still talk about it and it was even written up in the Journal newspaper!