Thoughts of 2006 and going forward...

  • Richie
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3 5:34 PM
      Hello all,

      Having a small bit of free time tonight, I was perusing YouTube viewing some video of The Who from the 2006/7 tour. I recall five years ago this month when Wire & Glass was released I immediately bought it, loving the fact that I had actual new Who music in my greedy hands. I loved listening to the words and music as I replayed the CD so many times. I loved hearing Rogers voice teamed with Pete's words and playing for the first time in so many years other than live. I missed hearing John add what only he can add to songs. But with Keith long gone and John only four years gone, I was just happy to have The Who back to recording new material. It sounded like The Who, it felt like The Who, it must be The Who. Then with the release of Endless Wire in October I got the full excitement of buying the CD on its day of release. Loved it. The tour of that year was such a treat with all of the new material played in set as well as most all of the songs that I expect to hear in a Who concert. The bonus of the stage set with the moving screens and iconic images made for an exciting show.

      Why do I mention all of this here, now? One of the songs that I listened to tonight was Tea & Theatre. At the time of the 2006/7 tour when I saw them (at MSG in September) I was not familiar with the song since it was before the record dropped. At the time I was not certain that closing the show with that song, in that way was the best way to end a Who show. Nearly five years have passed and lots happened in my life thru those years. With a different perspective, I think it is the absolute best way to end a Who show going forward. (Not that Pete and Roger consult with me!) It is such a spectacular, haunting and beautiful song. The bittersweet and reminiscing lyrics performed with such a strong vocal and tender guitar work evokes and sums up what The Who were, are and will be.

      Rock on,
      Richie