FaceTheFace 2/1/08

  • Richard Kaplan
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2008
      Taken from www.thewho.com

      =================================
      jae905: When Al Gore claimed to have invented the internet did you
      scream to yourself (and whoever was within earshot) NO MOTHERF*****, I
      DID?

      PETE: I didn’t hear about this until quite a long time after he made
      his claim. Remember, I never claimed to have 'invented' the internet,
      merely to have stumbled on a sci-fi vision of it while plotting
      Lifehouse. In fact, what I foresaw virtual reality has never really
      taken off in the way I imagined it might: as a way for people to
      advance themselves spiritually and mentally. (By doing crazy,
      dangerous things they might otherwise avoid). I think my most
      interesting bit of forward thinking was to predict music downloading
      in my lecture in 1985 at the Royal College of Art (mentioned as
      something Ray High does in The Boy Who Heard Music). The audience
      walked out on me. I am impressed with Al Gore actually. His current
      work is good; he’s getting people to think about the environment as a
      first step. He has a good way of going about it he does it BIG. It’s
      a big issue and I like the fact that he thinks big. I would never
      call him a 'motherf****' in any case. That’s Abbie Hoffman language,
      the language of the true radical. Kick out the marmalades, etc.

      greyhound_girl: I have read in your teen years you were in the Young
      Communist League. How have your political viewpoints changed since
      then and why?

      PETE: Let me speak about my political views. I never really had any
      of my own. My parents never spoke of politics at all. At 11 or 12 I
      joined CND (Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament). I now believe I was
      wrong to do this, but I was just a kid. I do think the Bomb has been
      a deterrent. I also joined Anti-Apartheid at the same time. This is
      something I am proud of, and I continued to defend my beliefs on this
      until the mid ‘80s when I was part of a fund-raising group rallied by
      Donald Woods (of 'Biko' fame) to help fund legal efforts to trigger
      Nelson Mandela's release. I have many South African friends, one or
      two of them Afrikaan, and I had great sympathy and empathy with their
      plight, racially speaking. Race is never, and I say this without
      irony, a matter of black and white. The YCL was different. It
      happened a little later, and I danced on the fringes, finding it
      tricky to find the right books to read. This was when I was in my
      first band with John Entwistle. We were about 13/14. I wasn’t really
      a paid up member, but Communism seemed to be what the Nazis had hated
      (as well as my beloved Jewish friends) so I thought I’d take a close
      look at it. Our clarinet player friend Phil Rhodes' father was in the
      Communist Party and I thought he was a good man. He was an amazing
      driver too, he only had one arm and rolled cigarettes while changing
      gear. Later, at Art School, my friend Barney said he had actually
      been a paid up member of the YCL and I think for some time had trouble
      getting a US Visa, but we never talked about it much. I felt betrayed
      by the Liberals of my childhood, the ban-the-bomb crowd. They said
      I’d be dead by the time I was 16, they were wrong. The bomb they
      despised may have saved my skin and yours.

      Missy428: What are 5 books that you would turn to someone and say 'If
      you're going to get stranded on an island, take these!'?

      PETE: You only need one book How to Catch Fish from the Beach (by
      throwing books at them?) I may as well just list five of the last few
      books I've read. Plato’s Republic; Musicophilia by Oliver Sachs;
      Frozen Tracks by Ake Edwardson; Against The Day by Thomas Pynchon and
      Firmin by Sam Savage.

      magic33bus: With rap and hip-hop having a stranglehold on the
      Billboard charts the past decade or so, how did rock 'n' roll lose its
      grip on the masses, and can rock music rebound?

      PETE: Rap and hip-hop is the music of the street today. The street is
      where rock came from. When the white rock players and their fans
      stopped hanging out on the street, and started hanging out in
      restaurants, the reality shifted. When I answer a question like this
      I can always see the landed thesis that underlies it. This is in
      other words a 'loaded' question. You assume I will agree with you
      that rock has lost its grip on the masses. Firstly, it never had a
      grip on the black audience, they've always had their own music styles
      and special coded language which rap has now formalised. I also
      reject the use of the word 'stranglehold' it suggests a noble rock 'n'
      roll tree is being starved of air and nurture by the weeds of rap. I
      am a huge fan of rap, even Eminem has a real connection to the work I
      did when I was young. My job as young writer wasn’t to sell records,
      but to try to make music that allowed our audience to find some hope
      and release. If it happens to show up on the Billboard charts someone
      gets rich. But that doesn’t change the fact that what matters most is
      that the music does what it is supposed to do. Rap and hip-hop, for
      people who understand it, provides hope and release.

      longliverock26: Do you enjoy new music that was obviously inspired by
      yourself and The Who?

      PETE: I’m not sure. Sometimes. I think you may mean bands like Pearl
      Jam and Green Day who actually cite The Who as an influence. But the
      music of theirs I like best is not always the heavier stuff. Some
      interesting female singers have cited The Who I won’t make a list
      because most of them wrote to me before they were famous, but you
      might be surprised at the names.

      englishBoy33: What are your thoughts regarding your work being given
      academic treatment, i.e., being studied, analyzed and critiqued as
      true art that gives a specific insight to many aspects of our human
      condition?

      PETE: I have always been ready to discuss what I do, and open to
      analysis. Criticism is academic study at one level after all. I am
      an artist, that’s what I was trained to do. I’ve always thought of my
      work as art. However, I am an artist operating in the pop genre, and
      my early work was defined by two ideas: 1. That popular art should
      reflect our impulsive and eventually compulsive destruction of nature.
      (Gustav Metzger) 2. That computers would make all academic study, and
      language, if not irrelevant certainly unrecognisable by the 21st
      century. (Roy Ascott, Harold Cohen). This sounds quite academic but
      it is really the manifesto of the MC5 in disguise. Kick out the
      marmalades!

      eris: What it is that goes on at your concerts, that I (and others
      too) subjectively experience as a sort of 'mystical energy'? What are
      you doing that other bands are not doing? Is it to do with the content
      of the songs, or the way they're performed, or something else?

      PETE: We are obviously keeping out of the way which is what we try to
      do I think. The concert is YOUR experience, not ours. Roger and I
      have different ways to approach this, but we both end up in the same
      place we want YOU to have the spiritual high, not us. We are simply
      working at a job Roger loves, and I sometimes find tiresome but we
      both know we are good at it. For a rock artist it can appear to be a
      contradiction, or even a false conceit, to say that I aspire to 'get
      out of the way'. I promise you that is what I do. I can also tell
      you that I’m happy some people may get a spiritual lift from our shows
      because all I get as a rule is knee trouble and ear-ache.

      burtonanderson: In the past, you have often stated that your artistic
      commission is to provide a mirror to your audience. As that audience
      has changed and matured with time, your works have reflected that
      evolution very well (including your own personal journey). From my
      perspective, I think your recent projects have become more demanding
      of the audience and grander in scope (e.g. The Lifehouse Chronicles,
      The Boy Who Heard Music, Wire & Glass); at the same time I’ve seen the
      participation of the live audience dwindle to a fortunate few
      (relatively speaking), who can both afford the experience and who have
      the patience and diligence to understand the work. Is that same sense
      of commission still a driving force for you?

      PETE: Another loaded question. Our audience has dwindled to a
      fortunate few. I think not. In this question is obviously buried the
      idea that we charge a lot for our tickets. That may be true, but we
      are putting up a very proud show. We are also deliberately lowering
      our sights on the size of audiences. We do not play stadiums by
      choice except for festivals. Even festivals are events I worry about,
      Cincinnati is still a fresh memory for me. Also carried in the
      question is the notion that we are becoming highbrow, and maybe
      leaving some of our audience behind. I don’t accept that. One
      problem for The Who is that we really do reflect our audience. So
      what do you want most from us? Probably for us to deliver you some
      music that makes you feel like you did when you were younger. Not
      possible. You are old and wrinkly, just like us. We have other
      duties now. I think nostalgia and sentimentality are perfectly OK.
      You probably know that. But what I am trying to do is respond to the
      need of our fans to face reality, not fall into fantasy. The first
      creative phase of The Who ended a long time ago in 1982, and lasted
      just 18 years. This current creative phase has really just begun. It
      is, however, not only a mature phase, but also one that demands deep
      financing. The last 13 month tour grossed huge money, but I
      personally made less profit than I would have if I’d stayed home
      (though making even a small profit is better than losing!) The point
      for me was to reach people with my songs, see what happened, and to
      deepen my creative partnership with Roger. It still feels very new
      for us, and may well prove to be uneconomic for me to insist on trying
      to deliver new work in an innovative way. Yes, I want to reflect, but
      you need to
      want to look in my mirror. If people don’t look, I may as well stay
      home.

      sdingledine: I am a schoolteacher You mentioned something awhile back
      that caught my attention: The function of The Who is expressed through
      its audience. The same is true for me in a way. The kids I teach
      ultimately express the function of teaching, not me. Question: what
      are your views on school and how teachers can best serve the interests
      of their students? And who were your best teachers and why?

      PETE: I love this question. Pop worked in its heyday, and still does,
      because the
      audience is in charge. I had some great teachers; they empowered me
      by helping me to evolve the boy I already was. The first was a Miss
      Catlin at primary school (7-12). She was a woman who noticed that I
      lived partly in fantasy. Now some people called that congenital
      lying. She called it imagination, and encouraged me to tell my class
      a weekly serial story. It turned what could have been a problem for
      me into my greatest asset. At grammar school (12-16) I had the most
      amazing teacher called Mr. Hamlyn, he taught metalwork and mechanical
      drawing (draughtsmanship). I wasn’t interested in either subject but
      achieved top grades in both, and a distinction in the drawing, simply
      because he was such an affirmational, gentle, ironic and serene man.
      Today I have fondness even for my worst teachers. At art school I was
      exposed to visionaries and men of genius. It was a stroke of luck
      meeting Roy Ascott. Fantastic thinker who wasn’t afraid to use a long
      sentence if the issue required it. All my teachers showed up every
      day, and did what they could. I wish I could say the same for myself.

      crazyhorse111: Are we going to hear you perform some of the
      lesser-played gems live?

      PETE: This is not really a fair question for me. I think The Who
      probably have to accept that they have a limited range of hits, with
      limited appeal, and their fans have to do the same. But I have done
      solo shows and played right across The Who and my solo spectrum. I’d
      play anything that made you happy, even Glow Girl. I’m not sure that
      would be the right thing to do at a Who concert. In any case, you
      have to speak to Roger. He is the singer. The only rarity he ever
      wants to play is Slip Kid, and he wants to do a new version of it in a
      looser style. We rehearse it sometimes, but it never lands. Roger
      creates a shape of show that works for him emotionally, and for the
      audience of course, but also it works practically over a 90/120 minute
      cycle. He doesn’t feel it’s right to take chances with a Who
      audience; I don’t care quite so much. I don’t think you’ll ever hear
      Roger singing Who rarities and you won’t hear me being his accompanist
      on anything experimental. We know what works for us under the Who
      banner. If you are bored by our list of songs, perhaps it’s time to
      go and check out a different artist? You might simply be coming to too
      many shows? I understand the desire to hear rare songs, but maybe some
      of them will only ever be available to you as recordings.

      billybill: I really enjoyed the videos of Behind Blue Eyes posted on
      this site and Real Good Looking Boy from the 2005 benefit show in New
      York. Would you ever consider doing a tour of this type of show with
      Roger?

      PETE: See my answer above. No. I am not wiling to play the role of
      Roger’s
      accompanist. I love the balance we get when appear as two stars
      supported by other musicians. However, what I thought was great about
      this version of Real Good Looking Boy that you mention is that he
      accompanied himself. It was great, don’t you think? He made my song
      his own. I just sat and listened, open-mouthed. He doesn’t play
      virtuosic guitar, but when he plays, he supports his own vocal
      expression 100%, so it all becomes about his voice and his heart.
      Roger should do a solo tour with just a guitar. I’ll watch
      open-mouthed. Tune his guitars.

      suezcc: Did the response you had from your fans, to your novella, The
      Boy Who Heard Music, meet or exceed your expectations?

      PETE: It was one of the best things that ever happened to me. It felt
      a little like vanity publishing until I realized that people really
      were deeply investigating what I was trying to say and reacting at
      every level sometimes extremely critically. I have high hopes for the
      theatre musical version of The Boy Who Heard Music.

      flippin_k_moon: I was wondering if you were planning on taking the
      stage version of The Boy Who Heard Music to the Western United States.

      PETE: It is still in development. I’m not sure where it will kick
      off. My collaborator on the Book for the Musical Ethan Silverman put
      up and directed the workshop at Vassar, but he needed some more lyrics
      from me to move to the next stage. Guess what? I’ve been slow

      Porkchopwi: Can you talk about the process of how songs like Naked Eye
      and Dance it Away evolved from riffs or on-stage jams to full-fledged
      songs?

      PETE: Naked Eye was a proper song before it was touched on stage.
      There is a demo of it in my stash. What changed when we played it
      live was the way the ending turned into a kind of search for flight.
      It became the most wonderful vehicle for a guitar solo. Dance It Away
      was also a song I had I my head, and on cassette. I simply threw
      lines out here and there in the late 70s at Who gigs. Roger didn’t
      seem too keen on me doing that. Recently he has done it himself:
      making songs up as he goes along. So we both do it sometimes now, but
      we both tend to repeat what worked best the night before. One song
      that did start as a jam and become a song later was 5:15. That was a
      studio jam. I wrote the words later walking down Oxford Street
      people-watching.

      anmeli45: Will there be another season of In the Attic? The show is
      immensely entertaining and insightful.

      PETE: I have had to close down my Oceanic Studio for financial
      reasons. So we don’t have the 24/7 internet streaming connection or
      the cute venue any more. The on-the road part of In The Attic cost
      over $1.5 million, but I would have died of boredom without it. So it
      doesn’t look good for In The Attic at the moment. We did film and
      record everything though, and there is some amazing footage that may
      come out soon. Rachel and I talk about it a lot. The best thing, for
      us, were the people we met and played with who have all become such
      precious friends.

      citydaz: Have you ever thought of doing any collaborative work with
      Paul Weller?

      PETE: I don’t think about collaborating with anyone. I am a studio
      artist (even as a songwriter), I have studios, and I work best when I
      am alone in them. My most famous and successful writing has been
      produced in studio seclusion. Paul and I are very different loads of
      respect between us, but different agendas. I hear he may perform at
      this year’s TCT concert at the Royal Albert Hall.

      whoautos: What is it that you admire most about Ray Davies and has
      there ever been an opportunity to work collaboratively with him?

      PETE: I am quite simply a fan. I am also a huge fan of the whole
      Kinks band especially Dave Davies. For me to collaborate with Ray
      would be strange, we both occupy similar ground, and come from a
      similar place, but arrive at very different destinations as artists.
      I pray that one day Ray and Dave can play again on a tour. Dave was
      often very loud, and Ray was apparently often ratty, but to me they
      were like AC/DC with wit, charm and beauty.

      kitlambert: Would you ever consider making a record with Eddie Vedder,
      similar to your Ronnie Lane collaboration, Rough Mix?

      PETE: It seems like people think I have lots of free time on my hands
      to collaborate. I don’t. I love Eddie like a brother (or a surrogate
      son). If he had to do what Ronnie Lane did, and came to me and say
      Pete, I’m broke, I need to make a record, will you help me I would do
      so. Could you arrange for Eddie to go broke?

      lowgens02: We heard John had some songs he had written for possible
      inclusion on a Who album before his passing, though he didn’t want
      Roger to have veto power over them. Has anybody in The Who camp heard
      any of them? If so, is it possible that some of them might make it
      onto a future Who album?

      PETE: I didn’t hear anything. What you repeat is what he said to me,
      that he was afraid that if we did a Who record, and he showed his
      songs to Roger, Roger might not like them. But Roger didn’t like
      everything I wrote either. I should probably have kept this exchange
      between John and me to myself. Roger was a huge supporter of John’s
      writing. I think John may have been saying that he wanted to sing his
      own songs when recorded by The Who. We were still trying to move
      towards a new band record when John died so tragically.

      petetownshendjnr: It’s your 8-year-old biggest fan here. I know you
      have a guitar tech that sets them up, but do you have a favorite Strat
      you play?

      PETE: I can set up my own guitars, and often do a lot of work on them
      myself. My guitar tech, Alan Rogan, does it while I’m on stage and is
      also one of my best friends, I trust him with almost everything. On
      stage I use guitars I don’t really care about too much. That’s
      because they are like tools to me, I want good tools, but if they
      break or get stolen I don’t mind too much because I have spare ones.
      At home I have guitars I love very much indeed. My most favourite
      guitar at the moment is a Gibson ES-5 I bought when I was in Austin an
      old 3-pickup jazz guitar from the ‘50s. I have an interesting old
      Strat that Alan bought me, it has no tremelo. It sounds halfway
      between a Strat and a Tele. My stock modern Fender Strats from the
      custom shop are SUPERB instruments. They’re tough, easy to play and
      sound great. The same can be said for the Gibson J200s with Fishman
      pickups that I use on stage with The Who. These three companies still
      make some of the best guitars and pickups in the world and they need
      to, because there are some amazing small companies making fabulous
      guitars today. There are a few great luthiers in Britain. I guess
      you play guitar. At 8-years-old you need to be careful not to
      overdevelop the muscles in your hands, so use very light strings until
      you get bigger. If you overdevelop, you may find it hard to evolve
      your style later on. Good luck if you play. Remember there are no
      rules.

      midnightx: In the past, you seemed to embrace releasing material from
      your personal vaults (your signature live series); are you and Roger
      considering starting some sort of collectors’ label where fans can
      purchase live material from The Who? You guys are the greatest live
      band of all time and it would be a very special experience for fans to
      be able to officially obtain some of the incredible live recordings
      from the late-60’s through the early 80’s that you have in the
      vaults.

      PETE: Roger and I are not considering starting a collector’s label.
      There maybe good stuff in the vaults, I don’t know. But The Who’s
      history belongs to Universal Music Group. Talk to them about this
      idea. Commercially speaking, fans are a money train for media
      companies to exploit to earn back the advances they have to pay us
      that we use to make records that don’t always sell! It’s a weird circle.

      cachecache: Whatever happened to The Siege (the album you were writing
      as a successor to It’s Hard)?

      PETE: I’m still working on it. It was a solo record by the way.

      paulb: It’s been almost a year since your SXSW keynote. I am
      wondering what the status of the Lifehouse-Method project is. Do you
      ever think that project could be incorporated into a Who event or will
      you keep it separated?

      PETE: I’m not sure where I am with Lifehouse-Method. Still trying to
      work out what to do next. I can’t see it ever happening as a Who event.

      stlwhogrl: Will there be a Method concert any time in the near future?

      PETE: See the answer above. If I could afford it I’d like to have a
      number of Method portraits orchestrated and performed. That is
      probably next on my agenda.

      midnighter99: Was there a specific event or revelation during the
      creation of Tommy that you feel was elemental to the piece taking
      shape? In the earliest stage of its gestation, when it was perhaps
      something of a seedling in a garden run with rows of other
      possibilities, what was it you discovered about this concept that
      compelled you to bring it fully to life?

      PETE: It was hearing about Meher Baba and wanting to write about a
      spiritual journey. Take my word for it, I wouldn’t be so nuts as to
      try anything like that again. It was a very ambitious project and
      without The Who behind me I would probably have failed to complete it.
      However, if I had completed it without The Who behind me it would
      have been less daft. You’ll have to wait for a full explanation of
      what I mean, but essentially the deaf, dumb and blind element started
      life as a metaphor for our real world ignorance of our spiritual side.
      It evolved into a real boy who looked like Roger Daltrey when he grew
      up and got sillier and sillier. Even so, Tommy has a real connection
      with post-war troubles in Britain. You will have read my ideas on
      this elsewhere. But Tommy started as sincere effort to write a kind
      of musical Siddartha: a journey to the source with a youthful
      spiritual aspirant.

      johnmcdonald: Back in 2004 Tommy was remixed for the 5.1 DVD-Audio
      format. At the time, rumours suggested that you were working on 5.1
      mixes for the other albums, such as Who’s Next and Quadrophenia. Are
      these remixes ever likely to be released?

      PETE: That’s right. I gave up on Quadrophenia as I decided I really
      want to re-record a director’s cut of it (the way Jean Michel Jarre
      has just done with Oxygene). One day I will do this if I get time.
      Who’s Next, it turns out, is no longer a complete set of masters. An
      entire side has been stolen from our vaults at some point. These
      things happen. Someone, somewhere, has it in a cupboard and is
      waiting for us to die? What then?

      marcdilo: What has changed that has led you to work with The Who much
      more often during this decade than during the 80’s and 90’s?

      PETE: I suppose the time away from the band (contractually speaking)
      from 1982 until 2005 actually gave me some perspective on the music.
      I still don’t really like performing, though I know I’m very good at
      it. I’m far from lazy, and I deeply respect and value the fans of my
      work, but by the end of the ‘70s I think I was just tired and jaded.
      I was also damaged by booze (and drugs to some extent) and its sudden
      failure to anaesthetize. It took me a long, long time to feel safe to
      go out into the world of rock again and face the music.

      Jvb123: For someone so obviously attuned to style and design, and
      equally aware of the star and fan relationship, why have you
      (seemingly) condoned the Who branded merchandise made available to
      fans via this website, or indeed recent tours?

      PETE: This is another loaded question with a moral thesis in the
      seams. I wouldn’t use the word condoned. I don’t see merchandise as
      a bad thing. I would say that I ‘permitted’ the use of The Who’s
      name, and as a quarter partner I am sometimes outvoted. This is
      ‘extra-mural’ work. What matters to me is what matters to me. I
      can’t divine what matters to you, only attempt to give everyone what
      they want. I’ve rarely worn brand t-shirts, but some people love them.

      lucyd: It sounds like there’s a heartbeat running through the
      background of the White City song, ‘Come to Mama’ Is it simulated or
      real? Is it yours? If not, can you give us another cool piece of
      trivia about that song or album we don’t already know?

      PETE: I can’t remember if it was a real heartbeat. When I was a
      really little kid my mother was a singer. She recorded a version of
      Embraceable You that includes the line Don’t be a naughty baby, come
      to mama, come to mama do I always thought the song was about me.
      Turned out I was wrong. In White City the villain’s mother is equally
      untrustworthy. Who’d be a mother around a male artist?

      inspirations_cousin: As far as celebrities go, you seem unusually
      active on the internet. Why are you so pro-active amid the e-fan
      community and does this interaction have any bearing upon yourself or
      your work?

      PETE: The internet is just another place to work as an artist. I have
      to say I am moving away from it at the moment. I feel this website is
      a good example of what goes on. I ran three websites for many years
      www.eelpie.com, www.petetownshend.com and www.thewho.com. I paid all
      the costs, and never charged. $2,000,000 and many, many complaints
      later, I gave up. It felt as though nothing I did was enough (simply
      because the more I did the bigger the audience got, and the bigger the
      audience got the more it cost me to deliver the bandwidth). Matt Kent
      and I struggled to keep everything afloat right up until the start of
      the Who tour in 2006, but to be truthful we were both exhausted by the
      difficulties of running a website with no finance from the Who camp.
      I turned to the Who camp (Roger) for support during the tour, and as
      you may know, he demurred. I soldiered on for a while, but in the end
      sold out to the people who run this site for us, and who hope to cover
      their costs and possibly make profits by selling merchandise and maybe
      even one day music and access to events. It’s a difficult world;
      everything is free. At the moment the big providers and sellers (like
      iTunes) need to see that unlike the record companies they are deposing
      they do not invest in new music and new artists. They need to do
      something. For me, I’m OK, I have a strong catalogue. For a
      developing artist, a hit will not allow you to remain an artist. You
      get one hit, that’s the end. So all we hear are new artists learning
      to do what they do. That’s wonderful, but I also want to hear artists
      grow and develop. They need to be able to make commercial mistakes.
      Record companies, for all their faults, allowed artists to make
      mistakes. Now like the internet itself they are unforgiving; they can
      only carry the hitmakers.

      towser1983: Everyone knows you as a guitarist but you’re also pretty
      good on piano too. I heard you only started to play when you were
      around 22 and I was curious as to how you learnt how did you make the
      jump from guitar to piano?

      PETE: I’m competent on both piano and guitar. I don’t require
      virtuosity of myself on either instrument, and never have. I require
      invention and discovery and passion of course. I’d love to be a truly
      great guitarist or pianist, but I can do what I need to do. I did
      start piano late, yes. I just started to play around that time (in
      1967), in order to study notation and orchestration for my first
      proper opera that was going to be called Rael. When I fell off a
      push-bike in 1992 part of my physiotherapy routine was to play scales
      on the piano (and on the guitar). As a result of that accident, which
      my surgeon said could have prevented me from playing ever again, I
      worked so hard practising that I went beyond where I had been before
      and can actually play quite a bit better on both instruments. What
      has been left behind is drums. I used to be OK, but my wrist is a
      little too weak now to properly crack the snare.

      roywally: Should there be another new Who album, I’d like to know if
      you would entertain the use of the full touring band (or other
      musicians) on some of the recordings?

      PETE: No. At least this is a straight question. I want to work the
      way I did on Endless Wire. I loved it. I did use musicians on that
      album check the credits. I assume you mean do a conventional rock
      band studio album. If I were still in a rock band I would do that.
      (This sets up a question you didn’t ask, and I ask myself right at the
      end. I hope it explains where I stand.)

      wineaman: If you do another Who album would you produce it or are you
      willing to delegate to someone else?

      PETE: Again, I assume you feel I need someone bullying me to do better
      or bigger. I produced Quadrophenia and Live At Leeds, and I know how
      to produce the old Who sound better than anyone. However, T-Bone
      Burnett has already been invited to produce a record with The Who (I
      asked him before the Plant/Krauss album, by the way). We are looking
      to do something entirely new, Roger, especially, feels he can do
      things vocally that have never been tried before.

      thealarm34: Would you (and The Who) ever consider a sort of
      interactive concert, where the fans could choose the songs you play.
      , ie via computer or actually at the show?

      PETE: No. Nice idea, but contrary to perceived wisdom I’ve written
      and published well over 400 songs and I wouldn’t be able to remember
      them all. Also, I don’t think fans should have this kind of control.
      Have you come across DeepRockDrive.com? This is a live music website
      entirely driven by the whim of fans to select music they enjoy best in
      live concert. Check it out. The Who may try to do a show with them
      one day (the studio is in Vegas) but I am so contrary I’d probably
      refuse if fans asked me to play Behind Blue Eyes. Work it out: if you
      want us to play Glow Girl, ask for Behind Blue Eyes.

      iluvawnings: In 2002, Roger’s song, Certified Rose, as well as Real
      Good Looking Boy, were recorded during tour rehearsals with John.
      Considering these were among John’s last performances with the band,
      would you consider releasing them in some way (this website, as part
      of a DVD compilation, etc.)?

      PETE: Certified Rose was not recorded. We may have rehearsed it once
      or twice, Roger felt the song wasn’t quite finished. This material
      was filmed for what has now become Amazing Journey. Not sure where
      the footage is now.

      clashwho: Why did you take so many of the lead vocals on The Who Sell Out?

      PETE: Kit Lambert produced that record. I just did what I was told.
      Maybe Roger didn’t like or feel comfortable singing the songs in
      question. It may have been one of the weeks he left the group. We
      all had our weeks! Roger is much more adventurous these days. I like
      my voice on that record and it’s my favourite Who record after
      Quadrophenia. Roger had a real blues voice at that time, a great
      voice, but it took his work on Tommy to set him free as a singer.
      Today, he can do anything at all he turns his mind to as long as it’s
      not in 5/4 time.

      Paddington: Pete, they have been playing the Quadrophenia film on
      television a lot lately and I watch every time it’s on. I know at the
      end, Jimmy is at Beachy Head, an area notorious for suicides. Does
      Jimmy go over the cliff with the scooter or is the smashing of Ace’s
      Vespa simply symbolic of Jimmy’s ending that part of his life and his
      breaking with the whole Mod scene in general?

      PETE: I don’t know what happens at the end of the film, it has nothing
      much to do with my original story (in which I am pretty sure Jimmy did
      not die in fact, but did die in that he let go of all the teenage shit
      that had held him back for so long - as you say). The film is great,
      but it dodged its own final question really. The open end does
      however allow for a sequel

      georgwp4: Whatever happened to How Can I Help You, Sir?? This was the
      first time that you posted filmed sessions of a song intended for
      Endless Wire, and as much as I love that album, I remember wondering
      why How Can I Help You, Sir? wasn’t released. Can we expect that to
      be released on a future Who/PT solo album?

      PETE: It’s still knocking around in the archives. I have no plans for
      it today. I wrote the song after a conversation with Matt Kent. It
      was not dedicated to him, nor was it about him. We had spoken, and
      been friendly, attempting to deal with some of the website issues I
      mentioned above, and I suddenly realized that sometimes we can’t help
      each other even when our aims are precisely in line. I’m sure Matt
      felt the same.

      halcyondays93: Does The Who possess any more quality audio or video
      recordings from the early to mid-70s (besides the London Coliseum and
      Kiburn, which we’ve been told will be released), and are there any
      plans to release them so the world can have true documentation that
      The Who is the greatest live band of all time? (A lot of us would love
      a full ‘73 Quadrophenia show ).

      PETE: Not my field of expertise any more. I hung up my job as curator
      of The Who archive about five years ago when the new Who documentary
      (Amazing Journey) got moving. Surely it must all have been used by now?

      bookworm: Do you feel a difference in your heart between live gigs
      with the new Who and solo gigs together with Rachel like ITA? Which
      shows do you prefer more?

      PETE: On the past tour I found that each kind of show complemented the
      other. It got a bit tiring sometimes, but I loved playing almost
      every day. Roger needs time off to rest his voice. Working with
      Rachel also allowed us to be together on tour, but have a joint
      purpose. I came closer to Who fans at her shows than I did at Who
      shows both physically and emotionally. We both made some good and
      trusted friends, some of whom are setting these questions today.

      sherid32: Roger often describes himself as the interpreter of your
      lyrics and enjoying finding a role to play within the songs structure.
      However I have read that you consider it important that Roger not
      deviate much from your phrasing and inflection used on your demos.
      Which of the above statements is closer to the actual process or is it
      a little of both?

      PETE: I also describe him as my interpreter. Since Roger developed as
      an actor he has been building a method for himself. He seems to want
      to do more than interpret, he wants to inhabit my songs completely. I
      adore that of course and feel very spoiled. But I am a composer and I
      work very hard indeed on my demos to make sure the songs work as
      delivered. So although I am happy for there to be some deviation, I
      am not crazy about big changes. The composer is king, but not because
      he wants to be, he simply has to be. Art is finishing things and
      writing a song is finishing a piece of art that can then be
      interpreted. But it should not be parodied or used for some purpose
      the composer feels uncomfortable with, at least not before it has been
      judged by our audience. Generally I end up preferring what Roger does
      on my new songs to my own vocal take. Sometimes I prefer my own
      version. Sometimes Roger’s version simply needs some getting used to.

      acash: Will The Who tour in 2009? If so, would the tour be a Tommy
      40th birthday theme or would more focus be on a new work?

      PETE: I don’t know yet. We may tour later in 2008! I’m keen to do
      something in 2009 to celebrate 40 years of Tommy, but it might not
      involve The Who as a band. Of course it would probably involve Roger
      and me in some form. Anyway, it’s too early to tell what I may want
      to do next, I’m still doing the laundry from the tour. Seriously, I
      only got back some of my soiled stage clothes last week.

      slipkid90615: You obviously need both talent and hard work to be as
      successful in the music business as you have been. Which do you think
      is more important (if either), and how do you perceive your own
      balance of natural talent vs hard work?

      PETE: The author Phillip Pullman said you need three things to succeed
      as a writer: talent, persistence and luck. He was paraphrasing
      someone else I think. He said you can get by with two of those, but
      it’s best if you have all three. I have needed all three. However,
      there is one thing you also need in the music business and that is
      willingness to compromise. So much rock and pop is created by teams
      of people, you might even say teams of egos. But the audience’s needs
      must be held highest, so you have to let go of a lot of grand ideas
      and high ideals, and deliver something the audience will recognise and
      accept. This is not imperiousness, smugness or snobbery on my part,
      but realism. Sometimes talent gets in the way, do you agree? For
      example, some guitar players play too many notes. Some, thinking they
      are Miles Davis no doubt, don’t play enough. Compromise doesn’t mean
      taking a softer path, it means starting to move forwards, reaching the
      destination. If you are too purist you can end up static. I know
      from experience how that happens.

      bbdawg: Have you have ever considered doing a stripped down or
      semi-acoustic tour of the States and UK with Roger in smaller venues
      much like the set up for Gotham charity show in 2005. I know
      Springsteen toured The Ghost of Tom Joad in old auditoriums and opera
      houses that had seating capacities of two to three thousand throughout
      the US with some success.

      PETE: Interesting last phrase in your question some success. Doesn’t
      sound like much fun to me. We have considered this often. Let me try
      to make this clear. When I play Who songs with Zak, Rabbit, Pino and
      Simon and Roger is singing, I feel as though these wonderful musicians
      are supporting not just Roger but also me. I also feel they are
      supporting the audience’s desire to relive old Who songs as they
      should be played. With passion, fire, commitment, energy,
      self-sacrifice and humility. We are like a tribute band in a sense,
      with the advantage that we have two real Who members in our ranks.
      But we do bring the music to life. If I sat with an acoustic guitar
      on stage with Roger singing Who songs my job would be to accompany
      Roger, not bringing Who songs to life as they used to be played, but
      looking at them in a brand new way. Dylan does this, I could do it,
      but I don’t think it’s no so natural for Roger and me to reinvent and
      re-approach our old songs together. Roger and I can both do this in
      our own way as solo artists. However, when we work together like this
      I have found that Roger unwittingly, and without intending to, holds
      the upper hand, and I am too important a musician to dedicate any part
      of my career to being anyone’s mere accompanist (unless it’s for a
      worthy cause). Now if Roger asked me to accompany him playing other
      people’s music, I might give a different answer, because that would
      allow me to express myself in a new way and without reference to any
      earlier, younger and more vital time. That would be collaboration
      though and I have little time for that. (I don’t rule it out
      completely of course, I have collaborated a few times in the past)

      jogreg: I Can See For Miles is in my opinion, one of the great rock
      songs. Why is it rarely played live?

      PETE: It is very complex. It has six vocal parts, and three guitar
      parts, for example. That is why we did such a great version of it on
      the 1989 tour when he had a really big band. The same goes for a
      number of songs on Quadrophenia they are rich and deeply layered.
      They just don’t all work stripped down.

      .
      johnfsully3: I read somewhere that you were a bit disappointed about
      the sales of Endless Wire but that more material could be on the way
      in various ways (standalone record, TBWHM, singles, etc.). So the
      question is how are you planning to advertise and promote the new
      material?

      PETE: I was very disappointed. Paul McGuinness said yesterday in his
      attack on iTunes in the press that during their tour U2 sold 150
      million CDs. (I have a feeling he may have been exaggerating a
      little). We didn’t even hit a million. Universal feel we didn’t do
      enough radio and TV. Maybe. Endless Wire was released by Universal
      whose job it was to advertise it. Our job was to promote, which we
      did with a 13-month international tour. Sadly the schedule didn’t
      leave much time for radio and TV. In the future maybe you think
      things will be different? I think the fact is no one really knows what
      the future holds, not today.

      carriepr: Considering you were educated at art school, have you ever
      used that training to experiment with other arts, such as painting,
      sketching or sculpture? We have seen one fine example of your artwork
      when you displayed your smashed guitar installation on In the Attic.
      Have you ever done anything else like that, and is this something you
      are interested in pursuing in the future?

      PETE: I have a few paintings and drawings. I’m pretty good. But I
      prefer writing
      creatively towards song lyrics, and making music. On Siege, mentioned
      by an earlier questioner, I planned to do a painting or artwork for
      each track, and did quite a few interesting pieces of work. It’s all
      a bit Joni Mitchell isn’t it? I love her painterly art. When I’m not
      working on music stuff I’m resting. I read recently that Ronnie
      Wood’s San Franciscan agent claimed to have sold $10 million of
      Ronnie’s paintings. Trouble is Ronnie can spend that on a single
      party! Good man he is, and a good painter I think.

      Yvfcfireman: Pete, I understand you have a keen interest in sailing
      and racing. What craft do you currently use?

      PETE: I like boats I can handle myself, or with a small crew. I have
      a share in a Dragon for example, though I haven’t raced it myself yet.
      The Dragon is just under 9 metres long. I have a larger boat I race
      in Classics Races. This requires a crew of at least ten during
      racing, and thus we don’t get out much. When we do get out we do
      pretty well. I’ve got a lot of cups, some of which I earned myself,
      some of which I simply have because I paid for the race! I’m crazy
      about boats, all kinds. I have all kinds. My father used to say that
      what makes a boat special is that you can always have a cup of tea, at
      any time. (He probably meant a large whiskey and water, but you know
      what he meant).

      ibeme: Is there anything that you wish you could do other than what
      you have accomplished already with your career? Do you have any other
      big aspirations?

      PETE: I aspire only to accept that I am just as likely to produce
      great new work as never to produce anything else ever again. It seems
      to be out of my control, and I now understand it always was.

      entwistle52698 Are you happy?

      PETE: Don’t worry about me.

      Now, my question to myself: Pete, are The Who a band or a singing duo?
      Your new website features Keith Moon and John Entwistle, but they are
      gone, and cannot be a part of what is happening now on the site. When
      you tour, you have a band, but it is not The Who, not in a real sense.
      What’s up with the Who brand versus band thing?

      PETE: I think Roger longs to be in a band again except perhaps when it
      comes to dividing the royalties, and I must say it’s good only having
      to split the meager profits 50/50. We were both so lucky in The Who,
      we were a real four man band for so many years. However, I have
      always been in a position to create a new band if I wanted to. I
      suppose Roger could have too. I’ve had to face the truth that I don’t
      really want to. I don’t really like being in a band at all. I like
      working with musicians, I love it in fact, but creatively I hate the
      compromises that being in a band places on me. This might simply come
      down to agreement about when, and when not, to tour. So between 1982
      and 2006 I simply refused to even honour The Who name as a band
      member. I was happy to get together occasionally, but I just didn’t
      want to be in the old band again and accept its majority rules. Since
      John’s death everything has changed. Roger and Pete do not make a
      band. Some people might like to think of us as a band. Some
      promoters might market us as a band. But we are two members of a band
      that has now gone forever. What remains is the music. John’s death
      somehow made that clear to me. We can best honour that old music by
      gathering great musicians around us. We two can evoke the old Who
      atmosphere but by that very act also evoke the enormous vacuum left by
      Keith and John. It is a compromise. When John died, Roger and I were
      able to consider making a new record without pretending to be who we
      used to be, and without trying to recover our old and youthful spark.
      We could be who we are today. When fans want us to use our touring
      musicians in the studio (and Roger says he likes this idea too) it’s
      because they misunderstand the process. A real band doesn’t need to
      work together in a studio, they simply don’t exist at all unless they
      play together. Roger and I can be who we are in any context we
      choose. Why would we take touring musicians who are so good at
      recreating the mood and excitement of the past into a studio to work
      on something brand new? It would seem to me to be an exercise in
      contradiction. I feel the old music is now best served by honouring
      the brand what The Who used to stand for, what they still evoke with
      their old films, records and ideas. Roger, and I, by being honest,
      best serve the new music. We are older, but we have endless choices.
      It’s a delicate balancing act to try to serve who we used to be, and
      who we are today. I am no longer a member of a band called The Who.
      I am Pete Townshend. I used to be in a band called The Who. It does
      not exist today except in your dreams. I am a song-writer and
      guitarist who if I create the right setting can walk onto a stage with
      my old buddy Roger Daltrey and evoke the old magic of The Who in the
      dreams of the audience. It never becomes The Who in my dreams. I’m
      so sorry, it never happens for me. I think it may happen sometimes
      for Roger you’ll have to press him for an answer. This is a pedantic
      view that many fans feel is unnecessary for me to express. It’s sour
      grapes, and defies their loyalty to who we once were and who they now
      take us to be. However, in some of the questions above, I feel the
      inquisitor is living in their dreams that they can ask me a question
      about a forthcoming tour or recording session as though I too inhabit
      their particular dream. I inhabit my own dream. In that dream I have
      survived, and so has Roger, and we can continue to do our job of
      getting out of the way. There are many Who fans who have just as good
      a time watching one of the many fantastic Who tribute bands as
      watching Roger and Pete (and their supporting musicians) pretend to be
      who we used to be. As I said earlier, as a sort of tribute band,
      Roger and Pete and Who2 have an advantage, two of us are still alive.
      Rock is dead, long live rock.
    • Karen T.
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2008
        thanks for this! awesome interview with an awesome man

        Looking for last minute shopping deals?