Re: Live8 - (No) Who and Where

  • pbeverly2002
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2005
      I am glad The Who are not performing as in the end, the effort will
      not be worth it.

      Live Aid was a huge success in regards to the concerts and the money
      raised. However, it was a HUGE failure in regards to the people
      helped. Once the money got to Africa it fell into corrupt hands and
      very little made it the people who needed it. Why do you think Bob
      Geldof waited until now to attempt such an event and this time it is
      not about raising money because they know it will do no good.

      Poverty in a lot of the third world countries is due to corrupt
      leadership. You can forgive all the debt you want, but if the
      leadership remains corrupt, the people will be no better off.

      Get rid of the corruption and things will start to turn around.

      However, in the end, if The Who were to play I would make every effort
      to record it!!!!

      I seem to remember a time when Pete was a bit negative about such
      events, "Give Blood" comes to mind!

      --- In WhoAreYou@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Kaplan" <The_Who_1998@y...>

    • Brandon D. Hammell
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 5, 2005
        Beverly, you seriously underestimate the effect that the original
        Live Aid had in raising awareness about apartheid in South Africa
        and other countries of the same region.

        Even if the money had not made its way into "corrupt hands" it
        would've had little to no effect in helping the effort. The key note
        of that concert was, as I said, to raise awareness. I believe it
        suceeded in doing such.

        "After the Fire" seems to have more to do with Pete's
        disullusionment regarding the ultimate outcome of the 1985 event.

        As for this new concert, I can't say I personally relish the outcome
        as I don't believe in circumventing the laws of the world economy to
        serve a select handful of individuals. It'll be an incredibly sad
        and terrifying day if Bono ever becomes head of the World Bank.

        Mark my words if the loans are forgiven, we will never see another
        cent go anywhere near Ethiopia or similarily disadvantaged nations.
        There is simply no incentive for a bank to lend to them.
      • pbeverly2002
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 13, 2005
          Live Aid was to raise money to fight famine in Ethiopia, not to raise
          awareness with apartheid in South Africa.

          --- In WhoAreYou@yahoogroups.com, "Brandon D. Hammell"

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 14, 2005
            This was the original intention, yes, and it did not suceed
            particularly well in this respect.

            However, to label the entire event a "huge failure" is to miss all the
            good that came from the concert and the suceeding single in the way of
            awareness.

            How much of the Concert for New York's ticket and DVD sales actually
            went to the families of the dead fire fighters? Would you call that
            a "huge failure"?

            As well, what exactly do you mean when you say "effort?" The band has
            to show up and play 3-4 songs (I'm judging by the last concert). It's
            not like they're building a bridge. If that's your idea of exertion,
            then you're spoiled.
          • pbeverly2002
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 14, 2005
              <brandonhammell@h...> wrote:
              > This was the original intention, yes, and it did not suceed
              > particularly well in this respect.
              >
              > However, to label the entire event a "huge failure" is to miss all the
              > good that came from the concert and the suceeding single in the way of
              > awareness.
              >
              > How much of the Concert for New York's ticket and DVD sales actually
              > went to the families of the dead fire fighters? Would you call that
              > a "huge failure"?

              The organization which recieved money from the "Concert For New York"
              was Robin Hood Relief Fund, which you can review their approach here
              http://www.robinhood.org/approach/approach.cfm. I am not aware of
              issues with that organization. A big issue during Sept 11 was with the
              United Way because they had intentions of using money donated for
              other purposes and they were not involved with the Concert for New
              York. I think you are confusing organizations.

              > As well, what exactly do you mean when you say "effort?" The band >
              has to show up and play 3-4 songs (I'm judging by the last concert).
              >It's
              > not like they're building a bridge. If that's your idea of exertion,
              > then you're spoiled.

              The effort is the massive effort of all involved, not a single band.
              Awareness is a great thing but there is still famine in Africa. With
              the amount of money raised and the efforted expended to raise the
              money, that is sad. You must deal with the root cause. Throwing money
              at it will not fix it. Live Aid made me VERY aware of a situation in
              Africa which so many years later, is still a problem. We can forgive
              the debt of all these 3rd world contries, but in the end, that isn't
              going to help the people who need it.

              I am not opposed to fund raising and awareness things. In regards to
              fund raising, there has to be an system in place to make sure the
              money is being properly spent. Bob G. had a great idea with Life Aid,
              however, no one was prepared to handle the money once it came in. A
              lot of entertainers do a lot of feel good money raising things and
              then walk away after the event and have no clue whether the money is
              being well spent or not, there is no accountabilty.

              As for awareness, I am not sure Live 8 is focusing on the right
              issues. If conutries forgive debt, that is great IF, and only if, we
              have a system to make sure that they change their ways and don't
              continue as they were which will just create debt all over again.
            • Brandon D. Hammell
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 16, 2005
                Okay, it's time for me to apologize. I didn't mean to suggest that
                there was any malfeasance involved involved in the management of the
                wonderful CFNY.

                I do feel you underestimate the good coming from the original Live
                Aid, but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, PBeverley.
              • leb905
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 17, 2005
                  > As for awareness, I am not sure Live 8 is focusing on the right
                  > issues. If conutries forgive debt, that is great IF, and only if, we
                  > have a system to make sure that they change their ways and don't
                  > continue as they were which will just create debt all over again.

                  There are programs which try to take these things into account these
                  days, especially in organizations like the World Band. Loans are made
                  on the grass-roots level, or on the basis of sound financial
                  accounting if on a government level. If I understood the news reports
                  correctly, President Bush has promised more funding for these programs
                  as well as debt relief.
                • leb905
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 17, 2005
                    > I do feel you underestimate the good coming from the original Live
                    > Aid, but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, PBeverley.

                    The original Live Aid made a strong mark in our consciousness that
                    cooperation and change is possible, but my impression is that much of
                    the money was not properly administered. It was a huge learning
                    experience. This time Geldof is trying to influence politics intead.
                    Likely it will be much more successful.

                    Question: What will Bono do now that the African debts have been
                    cancelled? :)
                  • Robert
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 22, 2005
                      The corrupt government in africa stole all the money and used it
                      themselves.
                      <brandonhammell@h...> wrote:
                      > This was the original intention, yes, and it did not suceed
                      > particularly well in this respect.
                      >
                      > However, to label the entire event a "huge failure" is to miss all
                      the
                      > good that came from the concert and the suceeding single in the way
                      of
                      > awareness.
                      >
                      > How much of the Concert for New York's ticket and DVD sales
                      actually
                      > went to the families of the dead fire fighters? Would you call that
                      > a "huge failure"?
                      >
                      > As well, what exactly do you mean when you say "effort?" The band
                      has
                      > to show up and play 3-4 songs (I'm judging by the last concert).
                      It's
                      > not like they're building a bridge. If that's your idea of
                      exertion,
                      > then you're spoiled.
                    • Robert
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 22, 2005
                        Not sure what Bono will do. There is probably other causes he will
                        probably help fight.
                        --- In WhoAreYou@yahoogroups.com, "leb905" <pkeets@h...> wrote:
                        > > I do feel you underestimate the good coming from the original Live
                        > > Aid, but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, PBeverley.
                        >
                        > The original Live Aid made a strong mark in our consciousness that
                        > cooperation and change is possible, but my impression is that much
                        of
                        > the money was not properly administered. It was a huge learning
                        > experience. This time Geldof is trying to influence politics
                        intead.
                        > Likely it will be much more successful.
                        >
                        > Question: What will Bono do now that the African debts have been
                        > cancelled? :)
                      • Marilyn
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 22, 2005
                          We are still a long way off of meeting the Millennium Goals so his work and everyone elses is not even close to be being done! This is just a very small tip of the iceberg.

                          Robert <rocknrollcola@...> wrote:Not sure what Bono will do. There is probably other causes he will
                          probably help fight.
                          --- In WhoAreYou@yahoogroups.com, "leb905" <pkeets@h...> wrote:
                          > > I do feel you underestimate the good coming from the original Live
                          > > Aid, but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, PBeverley.
                          >
                          > The original Live Aid made a strong mark in our consciousness that
                          > cooperation and change is possible, but my impression is that much
                          of
                          > the money was not properly administered. It was a huge learning
                          > experience. This time Geldof is trying to influence politics
                          intead.
                          > Likely it will be much more successful.
                          >
                          > Question: What will Bono do now that the African debts have been
                          > cancelled? :)

                          Who are you - The place to celebrate The Who, past and future...

                          "When people applaud, when people laugh and cry, it's nothing to do with you. It's memory -- that song takes them somewhere."

                          ~Marilyn~