Just something

  • RJ Cruze
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
      I have read over many of the posts, and some had mentioned Pete and
      how he was so hard to get along with. This reminded me of why I had
      deviated from The Who for a while in 1997. I had just gotten
      "Thunderfingers: The Best of John Entwistle", and I had read in the
      liner notes that a lot of the songs John wrote for the band were
      shot down by Pete. He said they were "too hard for The Who".

      After having heard about that (and being totally blown away by
      John's solo work), I had a hard time for a while listening to the
      band.

      Pete became rather against any sort of "heavy" sound, and that is
      said. Perhaps if they had taken on a bit more heavy sound (not like
      Black Sabbath-heavy), they would have been on the top like Led
      Zeppelin was.

      $0.02
      ~Rich~

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • jacak1981
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
        To me, the Who invented Hard/Punk/Metal rock that's going on today,
        from Motley Crue to Creed, from Sex Pistols to Nirvana, whenever you
        see some band breaking apart their instruments, you know that the Who
        started the whole thing...and the news that musicians made a disaster
        in a hotel room, the Who started that thing too. Each one of them
        were powerful in their own right, Pete's lyrics and guitar, Roger's
        voice of a million people, John's thundering fingers, and Keith's
        wild animal routine on the drums (and off stage). How Pete shot down
        John's writing in the band is unexplainable "to hard for the Who"? I
        can't answer that question, but it does puzzle me, especially the
        fact that they were the first to physically break down the doors to
        let the others go through

      • lexy_41 <donnamags40@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
          I think that The Who formula worked. If this is true about Pete
          shooting down Johns songs it would be purely egotistical on his
          part. For whatever reasons The Who worked and worked well or we
          would'nt be here discussing them. If they would have deviated from
          their style I wonder what would have become of them because I feel
          they are The Who because of the road they chose to take and keep.
          It's just my opinion of course. Any
          thoughts?

        • zumarust <zumarust@earthlink.net>
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
            The Who weren't rocking as hard by the mid-'70's. The hardest rocking
            song on "The Who By Numbers" is, indeed, John's song. Just
            about everything we love about the Who was already done by then.
            So....if more rockin' John songs would have helped those late '70's
            and early '80's albums, then that would have been good. Those later
            albums aren't bad....and certainly "Who Are You" is a great song, and
            really great in concert. It's just that Pete was obviously interested
            in the complexities of prog-rock at that point and wasn't writing
            hard
            rockin' songs. Well, he put "Rough Boys" on a solo album, a great
            rockin' song, and that angered the band that he was saving his better
            material for the solo albums.
            Pete is a complex fellow- an incredibly talented and gifted musician,
            and songwriter. His Who bandmates contributed greatly to the
            development of those songs in ways we'll never completely know.
            Pete's Achille's Heel is his scathing sense of humor, which he just
            hardly ever reigns in. If he thinks of something he thinks is funny,
            no matter how hurtful it is, he's probably going to say it. But he's
            been harsh on himself, also.
            They all became millionaires at a young age....so, life with Pete
            wasn't really all that bad.

            Evan

            --- In whoareyou@yahoogroups.com, "lexy_41 <donnamags40@y...>"
            <donnamags40@y...> wrote:
            > I think that The Who formula worked. If this is true about Pete
            > shooting down Johns songs it would be purely egotistical on his
            > part. For whatever reasons The Who worked and worked well or we
            > would'nt be here discussing them. If they would have deviated from
            > their style I wonder what would have become of them because I feel
            > they are The Who because of the road they chose to take and keep.
            > It's just my opinion of course. Any
            > thoughts?

            > --- In whoareyou@yahoogroups.com, RJ Cruze <who_for_2002@y...>
            wrote:
            > > I have read over many of the posts, and some had mentioned Pete
            and
            > > how he was so hard to get along with. This reminded me of why I
            had
            > > deviated from The Who for a while in 1997. I had just gotten
            > > "Thunderfingers: The Best of John Entwistle", and I had read in
            the
            > > liner notes that a lot of the songs John wrote for the band were
            > > shot down by Pete. He said they were "too hard for The Who".
            > >
            > > After having heard about that (and being totally blown away by
            > > John's solo work), I had a hard time for a while listening to the
            > > band.
            > >
            > > Pete became rather against any sort of "heavy" sound, and that is
            > > said. Perhaps if they had taken on a bit more heavy sound (not
            like
            > > Black Sabbath-heavy), they would have been on the top like Led
            > > Zeppelin was.
            > >
            > > $0.02
            > > ~Rich~

            > > http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          • josh_nd_02
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 4, 2003
              Hello,

              Well, the live version of Dreaming from the Waist is pretty heavy.
              And I also believe John was using a 8-string bass on Success Story.
              But yeah, The Who By Numbers wasn't their hardest hitting album. Who
              Are You was great, the title track of course kicked serious ass. But
              the over all album isn't the best.

              Face Dances is in my opinion one of their best records. The hardest
              songs on Faces Dances was the Quiet One and You, which were written
              by John. It's Hard was great as well. I know it's not seen as their
              best LP, but it gets a-lot of listens on my record (CD) player.

              But many of us in this group can all agree on one thing...the Who are
              the greatest of all rock bands. They did break down the walls for punk
              rock. With out the Who, what would music be like today?

              Josh
            • screamer1212
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 4, 2003
                Music would suck worse than it already does. because all the good
                groups : u2, metallica (sorta), pearl jam {definitley) and so many
                others have been deeply inspired by the who's work.