Re: Leeds or Isle of Wight..

  • the_who_1998
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2002
      Hello Louie,

      For my money, I would go for the "Live at Leeds" over "Isle of Wight".
      Both are good examples of The Who at the top of their form in that
      time period, but Leeds is a better buy for my money. I only wish that
      they packaged it in show order and not excise Tommy out to a seperate
      disc. That's just my opinion/preferance. E-mail me if you want some
      MP3s of Leeds. Or post it here with your address and I'll get them to
      you.

      Rock on,
      Richie

      The_Who_1998@...
    • ubermajorwoody
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2002
        I have to agree - if Live@Leeds wasn't released when it was, maybe
        LATIOW would have the better rep. But coming after Tommy, this was
        rock at it's rawest. If somebody (VH1 or one of the entertainment
        magazines) runs a list of the greatest live albums ever, I promise
        you Live @ Leeds will be on it. I wouldn't make that promise about
        LATIOW.
      • crosstown_drummer
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2002
          Leeds, hands down. If you can find it, grab the '96 (expanded) CD
          re-issue (NOT the "Deluxe" 2-CD version). Aside from being
          re-mastered to digital format (from the original tapes), it is twice
          the length of the original (adding Heaven & Hell, Can't Explain,
          Fortune Teller, Tattoo, I'm a Boy, A Quick One, and Amazing
          Journey/Sparks to the original track line-up). Sound quality is
          excellent, and there are NO overdubs. This version of Leeds shows the
          band at it's best during the "Tommy" era: the CD has quite a bit of
          stage banter that perfectly illustrates the underlying humor of the
          Who. Musically, this version of Leeds showcases the boys firing on
          all cylinders - Pete, John, and Keith being totally interlocked, while
          Roger weaves his way in and around them with vocal pyrotechnics that
          are more often (mis)credited as being originated by Robert Plant.

          The IOW double CD was taken from the festival of the same name, but
          more importantly, it was recorded some six months after Leeds - the
          bitter end of the "Tommy era." By this time, the band had been doing
          the "Tommy shows" for eighteen months, to ever larger crowds. They
          were making the first steps towards becoming an "arena" act: shows for
          a minimum audience of 10,000. And Pete was developing his "Lifehouse"
          ideas, as well as a bit of paranoia about how to top "Tommy." As a
          result, the show they did at the IOW was much looser than the one at
          Leeds. They toyed with new arrangements (parts of "Tommy;" "Heaven
          and Hell"); they added some new material (Water, and Naked Eye); and
          there was LOTS of jamming (or "riff-bashing" depending on your point
          of view) - "Water" becomes a running gag throughout the show, with
          verses popping up when you least expect them. The sound isn't all
          that great: open-air acoustics don't take kindly to damp, English
          weather. I think that by this time, too, the band really didn't feel
          the need to "prove" themselves any more; they simply went on and
          played (and played, and played, and played). The power and humor were
          still there, but the overall atmosphere was more loose (and downright
          sloppy, at times) - this was the gig Keith played after having
          painkiller injections in both legs. Couple that with his usual
          pre-gig "diet," and whatever else the others ingested (knowingly or
          not), add in all the above factors, and it is clear why the IOW
          doesn't stand up in comparison to Leeds. Not a bad gig by any means,
          just not the Who's best. BTW - the IOW gig in question was the SECOND
          time the band had played there; the first was almost exactly one year
          before, and ironically, a couple weeks after the boys played
          Woodstock.