more Mainsheet info

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 24, 2010
      following up on my last post:

      go to weta group Photos,

      then go to the Weta in Japan album.
      check out these photos: best reaching position, and, modified Ronstan mainsheet.

      BS
    • DaveK
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 24, 2010
        Thanks to everyone for the advice. I do like Eric's mainsheet and i forgot to tighten the undersides of the tramps... Thanks for the reminder on that!!!

        --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <wetasocal@...> wrote:

        > following up on my last post:
        >
        > go to weta group Photos,
        >
        > then go to the Weta in Japan album.
        > check out these photos: best reaching position, and, modified Ronstan mainsheet.
        >
        > BS

      • DaveK
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 27, 2010
          I don't see any photos with those names.... maybe I'm blind.

          I'm headed to the lake soon to work on roller furling. It's either too much or not enough line on it. John told me about wrapping tape around the bottom but acted liked it wasn't really needed.

          Dave

          --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <wetasocal@...> wrote:

          > following up on my last post:
          >
          > go to weta group Photos,
          >
          > then go to the Weta in Japan album.
          > check out these photos: best reaching position, and, modified Ronstan mainsheet.
          >
          > BS

        • eric e
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 27, 2010
            hi Dave,            bummer about the cheek block
            wonder if there is anyway to poor man's ex-ray the deck with an infra-red photo a few hours after sunset or a magnetic field sensor to see if the plate is in there and if so where...
            photo albums are at
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Weta-Trimarans/photos/album/0/list
            my 26 pics at
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Weta-Trimarans/photos/album/1957000026/pic/list
            mainsheet change
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Weta-Trimarans/photos/album/1957000026/pic/691856611/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc
            like a hobie16 i've rigged it now so when going upwind it's block to block. just means lengthening the floor line.. means less sheet is needed too so you can trim some off and then tie to the jib sheet

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 31 1:52 PM
              The latest iteration of my split mainsheet arrangement is shown on the last photo in my 'modified mainsheet' album. I have dispensed with the Harken fiddle blocks with jammer (or more correctly, the jammer portion, which I have taken off) and installed conventional mainsheet jammers on the sidedecks. These lie close to hand when sitting on the amas in a predictable position and the action of jamming and unjamming the sheet is natural (press down to jam, pull up to release) and predictable because of the rigid nature of the fitting. When sitting nearer the centreline you can use whichever jammer comes most conveniently to hand. The jammers are positioned over where the cheek blocks which hold the amas on were and use one of the same screw holes (not sure whether there is a backing plate but it feels secure). One of the other holes is drilled into the 'meat' of the ama hole reinforcement and feels very strong, while the third feels rather more flimsy. The tramp line is tied around the base of the jammer and is thus now held on by three rather than two screws (two inch, 12 gauge self-tappers).

              George Morris

              --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, eric e <ericeaso@...> wrote:

              > hi Dave,            bummer about the cheek block
              > wonder if there is anyway to poor man's ex-ray the deck with an infra-red photo a few hours after sunset or a magnetic field sensor to see if the plate is in there and if so where...
              > photo albums are at
              > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Weta-Trimarans/photos/album/0/list
              > my 26 pics at
              > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Weta-Trimarans/photos/album/1957000026/pic/list
              > mainsheet change
              > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Weta-Trimarans/photos/album/1957000026/pic/691856611/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc
              > like a hobie16 i've rigged it now so when going upwind it's block to block. just means lengthening the floor line.. means less sheet is needed too so you can trim some off and then tie to the jib sheet

            • charles.ashley54
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 1, 2010
                I don't like the way my Main Sheet block works with the standard setup. It has two problems.
                1) Cleat is hard to release. That is need to be next to block and push sheet down into floor of boat. I've adjusted the cleat angle a couple of time and while this helps, I still think it should come out easier.
                2) Also notice when pulling main sheet against heavy winds that that pulley wheel seem to lockup. It is also most like the pulley wheel gets confused about which way to racket the sheet. It is hard to examine in detail though because it is only noticeable with wind strong enough that I need to be paying attention to my sailing.

                I find you setup interesting and very creative. I have a question did you have to give up racketing of the main sheet? Also I've been using those open cleats for securing the sheets of downwind sail when we have that sail deployed. I wondered if anyone else does that? I haven't notice that on YouTube videos.

                Charles, Weta #285

                --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "George" <wetabix0947@...> wrote:

                > The latest iteration of my split mainsheet arrangement is shown on the last photo in my 'modified mainsheet' album. I have dispensed with the Harken fiddle blocks with jammer (or more correctly, the jammer portion, which I have taken off) and installed conventional mainsheet jammers on the sidedecks. These lie close to hand when sitting on the amas in a predictable position and the action of jamming and unjamming the sheet is natural (press down to jam, pull up to release) and predictable because of the rigid nature of the fitting. When sitting nearer the centreline you can use whichever jammer comes most conveniently to hand. The jammers are positioned over where the cheek blocks which hold the amas on were and use one of the same screw holes (not sure whether there is a backing plate but it feels secure). One of the other holes is drilled into the 'meat' of the ama hole reinforcement and feels very strong, while the third feels rather more flimsy. The tramp line is tied around the base of the jammer and is thus now held on by three rather than two screws (two inch, 12 gauge self-tappers).
                >
                > George Morris
                >
                > --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, eric e <ericeaso@> wrote:
                > >
                > > hi Dave,            bummer about the cheek block
                > > wonder if there is anyway to poor man's ex-ray the deck with an infra-red photo a few hours after sunset or a magnetic field sensor to see if the plate is in there and if so where...
                > > photo albums are at
                > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Weta-Trimarans/photos/album/0/list
                > > my 26 pics at
                > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Weta-Trimarans/photos/album/1957000026/pic/list
                > > mainsheet change
                > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Weta-Trimarans/photos/album/1957000026/pic/691856611/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc
                > > like a hobie16 i've rigged it now so when going upwind it's block to block. just means lengthening the floor line.. means less sheet is needed too so you can trim some off and then tie to the jib sheet

              • George
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 1, 2010
                  Hi Charles,

                  I don't have a ratchet on my mainsheet but if I wanted one I guess it could be incorporated somewhere - perhaps at the centre position where the clew hook is or at the fixed jammer arm although it would mean replacing the Harken fiddle blocks and you'd need one each side so it would be expensive. As for cleating the screacher using the open cam cleats, I think people do use them when cruising or on long legs when the wind isn't very puffy. I have installed a guide pulley at the top of the old mainsheet anchorage which guides the screacher sheet cleanly into the cam cleats, although I don't often use it.

                  As for your ratchet problems, it is possible that you have one of those load-sensitive ratchets which only lock under load and that the sheet is routed through it the wrong way,

                  rgds

                  George Morris

                  --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "charles.ashley54" <charles.ashley54@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > >
                  > > > hi Dave,            bummer about the cheek block
                  > > > wonder if there is anyway to poor man's ex-ray the deck with an infra-red photo a few hours after sunset or a magnetic field sensor to see if the plate is in there and if so where...
                  > > > photo albums are at
                  > > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Weta-Trimarans/photos/album/0/list
                  > > > my 26 pics at
                  > > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Weta-Trimarans/photos/album/1957000026/pic/list
                  > > > mainsheet change
                  > > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Weta-Trimarans/photos/album/1957000026/pic/691856611/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc
                  > > > like a hobie16 i've rigged it now so when going upwind it's block to block. just means lengthening the floor line.. means less sheet is needed too so you can trim some off and then tie to the jib sheet

                • eric e
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 1, 2010
                    hi Charles, we had the same problems with 293 and 294
                    > 1) Cleat is hard to release. ......need to be next to block and push sheet down into floor of boat. I've adjusted the cleat angle a couple of time and while this helps, I still think it should come out easier. fixed by lengthening floor line so block/cleat  is as high as possible and blocks go block to block upwindhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Weta-Trimarans/photos/album/1957000026/pic/691856611/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc
                    > 2) Also notice when pulling main sheet against heavy winds that that pulley wheel seem to lockup. It is also most like the pulley wheel gets confused about which way to racket the sheet. It is hard to examine in detail though because it is only noticeable with wind strong enough that I need to be paying attention to my sailing.on 293 the ronstan block was assembled backwards at the factory and needed the cleat arm to be removed and swapped around to the other side. it's tricky to describe but the angled cutouts on the main sliver wheel need to be pointing in the same direction as the ronstan gennaker block cutouts.http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Weta-Trimarans/photos/album/1957000026/pic/1467591241/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=21&count=20&dir=asc%c2%a0

                  • eric e
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 1, 2010

                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 2, 2010
                        I have a cleat mounted on my sheet block. Mine came this way, but I was told this is something that Jon Britt at Norbanks changed. (I bought his demo model at the end of his season). I always used the block cleat for main and the deck cleats for the reacher. I don't have 15+ winds on the lake though you do have to watch the squalls on the lake. My wife has turned us over once, and I feel it could have been prevented with better steering. (we had not had the boat very long & I was a total newbie). I did raise the main block some from the floor. I now use the deck blocks in heavy winds though I have had a problem with them letting loose when I hit some wake that causes the tension to slack up temporarily. I think lowering the block back down slightly might fix that problem.
                        I also use the deck blocks like a traveler when I am pulling a really close haul. I also love the Velcro "autopilot".
                        Great when paddling into the dock or cruising down the channel while enjoying a snack and a drink! I have made a few mods for comfort & convenience. I will try to upload some pics
                        Robert in NC
> [...]

                        > > hi Dave,       bummer about the cheek block
                        > > wonder if there is anyway to poor man's ex-ray the deck with an infra-red photo a few hours after sunset or a magnetic field sensor to see if the plate is in there and if so where...
                        > > photo albums are at
                        > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Weta-Trimarans/photos/album/0/list
                        > > my 26 pics at
                        > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Weta-Trimarans/photos/album/1957000026/pic/list
                        > > mainsheet change
                        > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Weta-Trimarans/photos/album/1957000026/pic/691856611/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc
                        > > like a hobie16 i've rigged it now so when going upwind it's block to block. just means lengthening the floor line.. means less sheet is needed too so you can trim some off and then tie to the jib sheet Â

                      • bjarthur123
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 2, 2010
                          > I don't like the way my Main Sheet block works with the standard setup. It has two problems.

                          i didn't like the mainsheet setup either when i first got the boat. but i figured the kitchen's had put a lot of thought into alternatives and so decided to put off making any changes for a little while to see if i could get used to it.

                          a month later and i've only made one small change and am otherwise totally happy. all i've done is to reverse the cleat on the lower block so that to uncleat you pull up on the line and to cleat you reach and push the line down into it.

                          perhaps the reason this works for me and others is that i hardly ever cleat the main. going upwind i always handhold it no matter what the wind strength. going downwind i let it all the way out to the stopper knot, and handhold the gennaker, never cleating it off. maybe it's different for cruising, but with racing i'm constantly tweaking the trim. it's also important to be ready to immediately dump sail in case a gust comes along.

                          ben arthur
                          #358, "gray matter"
                        • Robert Spencer
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 2, 2010
                            I have the old setup with the harken blocks, with an inverted cam cleat on
                            the lower end. I have tried it long and short, block to block, but find it
                            most comfortable to cleat on the block when I am in the boat, and use the
                            deck cleats when I am out on the tramp - bigger winds require a kick down to
                            get it well cleated. On light winds, I cleat the genne on the genne side
                            (backwards through the deck cleat on the "wrong" side, but very easy to
                            release in a hurry. Solo in bigger wind (by my reckoning 15+) I only cleat
                            the jib - not brave enough to try anything else... yet

                            Just for info - there is no ratchet on the old harken setup for the main -
                            only for the gennaker, and of limited use as the angles / amount of sheet
                            around the block is quite small - maybe only 90�. I did consider a cam-cleat
                            on the rachet, until I was out in a good blow, and could not release quick
                            enough - now I won't consider a cleated gennaker again in a hurry.... :)

                            Robert
                            233inDXB

                            On 2 August 2010 16:36, ROBERT REED <robertreed@...> wrote:

                            > I have a cleat mounted on my sheet block. Mine came this way, but I was
                            > told this is something that Jon Britt at Norbanks changed. (I bought his
                            > demo model at the end of his season). I always used the block cleat for main
                            > and the deck cleats for the reacher. I don't have 15+ winds on the lake
                            > though you do have to watch the squalls on the lake. My wife has turned us
                            > over once, and I feel it could have been prevented with better steering. (we
                            > had not had the boat very long & I was a total newbie). I did raise the main
                            > block some from the floor. I now use the deck blocks in heavy winds though I
                            > have had a problem with them letting loose when I hit some wake that causes
                            > the tension to slack up temporarily. I think lowering the block back down
                            > slightly might fix that problem.
                            > I also use the deck blocks like a traveler when I am pulling a really close
                            > haul. I also love the Velcro "autopilot".
                            > Great when paddling into the dock or cruising down the channel while
                            > enjoying a snack and a drink! I have made a few mods for comfort &
                            > convenience. I will try to upload some pics
                            > Robert in NC

                          • charles.ashley54
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 3, 2010
                              We have only been going going out sailing in winds up to 12knots so far with two adults on board since we are new with the boat and my wife and I are trying to de-stress with a relaxing cruise. In these conditions then cleating all the sails is not a problem, but I'm think ahead to how to handle higher winds where we need to dump wind out of sails quickly. Even in high winds though the wind will cycle up and down. When the wind cycles down then cleating the sails for will give you a break so your at full strength when the wind peaks again. From my years of sailing a 14, 16, and 17 foot catamarans i've notice the smaller the boat the quicker your response needs to be about dumping wind. I've notice the Weta is a very stable boat and we haven't gotten close to flipping it yet. But still figure we need to be prepare before heading into high winds.

                              Thanks for the information on your use of open deck cleats.

                              Charles, Weta #285

                              --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, Robert Spencer <mfcdubai@...> wrote:

                              > I have the old setup with the harken blocks, with an inverted cam cleat on
                              > the lower end. I have tried it long and short, block to block, but find it
                              > most comfortable to cleat on the block when I am in the boat, and use the
                              > deck cleats when I am out on the tramp - bigger winds require a kick down to
                              > get it well cleated. On light winds, I cleat the genne on the genne side
                              > (backwards through the deck cleat on the "wrong" side, but very easy to
                              > release in a hurry. Solo in bigger wind (by my reckoning 15+) I only cleat
                              > the jib - not brave enough to try anything else... yet
                              >
                              > Just for info - there is no ratchet on the old harken setup for the main -
                              > only for the gennaker, and of limited use as the angles / amount of sheet
                              > around the block is quite small - maybe only 90°. I did consider a cam-cleat
                              > on the rachet, until I was out in a good blow, and could not release quick
                              > enough - now I won't consider a cleated gennaker again in a hurry.... :)
                              >
                              > Robert
                              > 233inDXB
                              >
                              > On 2 August 2010 16:36, ROBERT REED <robertreed@...> wrote:
                              >

                              > > I have a cleat mounted on my sheet block. Mine came this way, but I was
                              > > told this is something that Jon Britt at Norbanks changed. (I bought his
                              > > demo model at the end of his season). I always used the block cleat for main
                              > > and the deck cleats for the reacher. I don't have 15+ winds on the lake
                              > > though you do have to watch the squalls on the lake. My wife has turned us
                              > > over once, and I feel it could have been prevented with better steering. (we
                              > > had not had the boat very long & I was a total newbie). I did raise the main
                              > > block some from the floor. I now use the deck blocks in heavy winds though I
                              > > have had a problem with them letting loose when I hit some wake that causes
                              > > the tension to slack up temporarily. I think lowering the block back down
                              > > slightly might fix that problem.
                              > > I also use the deck blocks like a traveler when I am pulling a really close
                              > > haul. I also love the Velcro "autopilot".
                              > > Great when paddling into the dock or cruising down the channel while
                              > > enjoying a snack and a drink! I have made a few mods for comfort &
                              > > convenience. I will try to upload some pics
                              > > Robert in NC

                            • charles.ashley54
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 3, 2010
                                Thanks for the information. I will think raising the position of the main block will solve the problem with getting a good release of main sheet out of cleat. The pictures were very helpful. My sheet is threaded through the block like in your picture. I checked the racketing of block and this is setup in the correct direction.

                                I tried rotating the cleat on the main block, so it cleats by pushing down on the sheet. This sounds like a very clever idea (from Ben Arthur #358) so I tried it this morning before going to work but the angle of sheet feeding into cleat looked bad and figure design of block doesn't allow for that kind of flex-ability. Thanks Ben, for the suggestion though.

                                Charles, #285