Re: Gulf Coast Calendar

  • jluzius
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 5, 2013
      I'm confident that at least three Texas boats will attend WetaFest, maybe more if we start planning this fall.  Looks like I'm going to need a bigger trailer!

      John
    • wieringats
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 6, 2013

         I am going to do my best to at least double the Michigan attendance as well

        Tim

        ---In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, <weta-trimarans@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        I'm confident that at least three Texas boats will attend WetaFest, maybe more if we start planning this fall.  Looks like I'm going to need a bigger trailer!

        John
      • smclelland23
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 6, 2013

          John, we need one of these: http://www.james-davies.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/SP_A0002.jpg

          ---In weta-trimarans@yahoogroups.com, <jluzius@...> wrote:

          I'm confident that at least three Texas boats will attend WetaFest, maybe more if we start planning this fall.  Looks like I'm going to need a bigger trailer!

          John
        • bjarthur123
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 11, 2013

            last year we had four chesapeake boats that wanted to attend the florida winter circuit, and zero that did because none of us had a multi-boat trailer.  it's a 15 hour drive that none of us were willing to single hand.

            i contacted weta marine and a dealer about producing something light like the picture posted above for john, and neither was interested because of the perceived small demand.  what both are neglecting to consider is the huge marketing effect large numbers at regattas have, and how an easily-purchasable multi-boat trailer would facilitate attendance.

            this past summer i investigated cobbling one together on my own.  three of the dealers and at least one owner simply bought heavy enclosed trailers that fit two to four wetas and haul them with gas guzzling trucks.  another dealer plus the kitchen's have a lighter steel flat bed trailer on which they built a second level and tow with an SUV.

            the best option in my mind though is a custom aluminum trailer, easily outsourced to trailex.com.  i have exchanged several e-mails and phone calls with them.  they have trailers to double stack catamarans which they are willing to modify for the weta.  they gave me the dimensions of their extrusions and i have drawn a prototype in google's sketchup drawing program.  aluminum trailer plus two wetas would be light enough to haul with a mid-sized car, so you wouldn't need to upsize your everyday car just to accommodate your boat.

            http://tinyurl.com/ldn78d3  (my schematic drawing of an aluminum 2-weta trailer, open with google sketchup)

            http://tinyurl.com/mc3yfw3  (trailex trailers' double-stacked catamaran brochure)

            miranda--  i for one would much rather that weta marina "be sure to support the events particularly WetaFestnot through the traditional means, but rather by helping more boats get to the start line by making it easier for us to commute there by designing and producing a multi-boat weta trailer.

            i didn't buy a boat so i could spend my weekends designing a trailer for it!

            ben #358

            chesapeake bay

            ---In weta-trimarans@yahoogroups.com, <steve@...> wrote:

            John, we need one of these: http://www.james-davies.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/SP_A0002.jpg

            ---In weta-trimarans@yahoogroups.com, <jluzius@...> wrote:

            I'm confident that at least three Texas boats will attend WetaFest, maybe more if we start planning this fall.  Looks like I'm going to need a bigger trailer!

            John
          • yottieguy