Re: [Weta-Trimarans] New cushioning for ama beam

  • Niktash
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 4, 2013

      Walmart has the Ozark Trial Camping Pad, Blue for $7.47.  Size is 72.0 x 20.0 x 0.5.

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 9, 2013
        It would definitely work against you if you did turtle and tried to get the boat back upright. On the other hand, these things work both ways. It is possible that having additional foam/floatation there would make the boat more difficult to capsize and turtle. Once the foam hit the water it would add a bit more resistance to any further heeling in that direction. By how much would depend on the amount of foam displacement you have there.
      • fly507
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 9, 2013

          yoga mat from any sports store, about 4mm thick.  clean the beam with acetone.  Glue on with 3M 77 contact cement.  Works perfectly.

          ---In weta-trimarans@yahoogroups.com, <tomkirkman1@...> wrote:

          It would definitely work against you if you did turtle and tried to get the boat back upright. On the other hand, these things work both ways. It is possible that having additional foam/floatation there would make the boat more difficult to capsize and turtle. Once the foam hit the water it would add a bit more resistance to any further heeling in that direction. By how much would depend on the amount of foam displacement you have there.
        • Jonathan Weston
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 9, 2013
            Yep, the thick black closed foam, not the thin pretty ones. While I've never flipped one, shame on me, highly doubtful that it will prevent any righting motion or add enough flotation to keep one from obtaining that torturous turtled position. Maybe someone should invent airbags to go with the training wheels, inflatable upon rise in heart rate. Scratch that, wouldn't want to add to the expense of the boat. Keep on floatin.
            JW

            From: <gapagod@...>
            Date: Wednesday, October 9, 2013 4:58 PM
            To: <Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com>
            Subject: [Weta-Trimarans] RE: New cushioning for ama beam

            yoga mat from any sports store, about 4mm thick.  clean the beam with acetone.  Glue on with 3M 77 contact cement.  Works perfectly.

            ---In weta-trimarans@yahoogroups.com, <tomkirkman1@...> wrote:

            It would definitely work against you if you did turtle and tried to get the boat back upright. On the other hand, these things work both ways. It is possible that having additional foam/floatation there would make the boat more difficult to capsize and turtle. Once the foam hit the water it would add a bit more resistance to any further heeling in that direction. By how much would depend on the amount of foam displacement you have there.

          • t_damonte
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 11, 2013
              Why not just wear the padding? Gill makes fancy hiking pants designed for that purpose.
            • Jonathan Weston
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 11, 2013
                I've tried them but they don't make sliding in and out of the AMA hiking position easy. And they made my butt look big.

                Sent from my iPhone
              • Robert Shirley
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 11, 2013
                  From: "t_damonte@..." t_damonte@...

                  Why not just wear the padding? Gill makes fancy hiking pants designed for that purpose.
                  Yeah, what he said.  It works for me.

                  BS
                  Weta #147, Empress
                  Ventura CA.

                • Bruce Fleming
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 12, 2013
                    I prefer the padding on the frame because:

                    1. it’s cheaper than hiking pants
                    2. it enhances the comfort of everyone on the boat regardless of their attire.

                    Aloha,

                    Bruce Fleming
                    wavejump@...
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 13, 2013
                      We may not be talking about enough to upset anything, but I wonder what the effect of padding/floatation is on the mechanics of the boat. If you push the Ama underwater, which is common, then any close celled padding will add some additional floatation to the Ama. At first glance, this could help prevent capsizes by increasing overall Ama floatation, although, with the padding set back on the rear half of the Ama I wonder if when submerged this might push the stern up higher than the bow and contribute to a pitchpole.

                      Again, I doubt we're talking enough additional flotation to really make any measurable difference, but I'd love to hear what the Weta designers think about additional floatation in that location.

                      Just some thoughts running through my head this afternoon.