Calling Aussie Weta Sailors

  • weta4life
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 14, 2013
      Hi Guys,

      The Jervis Bay regatta is going to be on the 6th and 7th of October - come and check it out - anyone with tents/campers can park on the NSW dealers Glenns lawn and Chris or Roger will be heading over to check it out and say hi.

      Find more information on weta.com.au -
      http://www.weta.com.au/1/post/2013/07/jervis-bay-regatta-coming-up.html

      Cheers,

      Miranda
    • Geoffrey Clift
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 9, 2013
        G'day
        Just to advise that I will be attending the Jarvis Bay regatta on 5th and 6th October. Have seen that 6th & 7th was posted which is not as per JB Sailing Club Entry Form.
        Looking forward to meeting all and toasting my first race with some Bintang beers.

        I will be staying at the Myola Tourist Park from Friday.

        Haven't checked out the launching facilities or local facilities. Any one know if trailer parking & launching is a problem / expensive at the club?

        I have confirmed insurance with CGU. New Boat and trailer with $10M cover is costing $390 per year which was better than APIA, Club Marine or Allianz, but Glenn seems to have the best deal with QBE. My broker could not match Glenn's QBE quote.

        If anyone has a check list for sailing gear for me, crew and one 15 year old boy let me know. This is all a first. Where do you start - safety flotation, clothing, spare parts, sand fly cream....?

        Oh and Miranda, if you read this, would you add my address on the map for this boat as: Northern Beaches , Sydney.

        Boat Sail No: 863
        Yellow Boat
        Yellow Genny.

        Geoff
      • Rag Dolly
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 9, 2013
          Hello Geoff,

          Re the insurance, make sure it covers racing.  Some providers do not cover the boat if it is racing.  In the past I have used Club Marine and can vouch (unfortunately) they are very good if you have to make a claim.

          Re your question on sailing gear.

          Minimum - ie comfort does not matter, just the essentials!  Life jacket, headwear, sunglasses, sun protection, water, time piece for starting count-down, sense of humour!

          Civilised sailing - to the above add, warm sailing gear (wetsuit type gear, spray jacket, footwear), snack between races if more than one race per session.

          Presumptions - anything not tied on has a good probability of going overboard - glasses, drink-bottles, keys, mobile-phone, etc.  Tie everything on or leave it on the beach!

          Have a reasonable understanding of the rules of the road!

          Good luck,

          Maybe I will see you at JB.

          Leigh

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 9, 2013

            Thanks Leigh,

            Looking forward to meeting you. Re lifejacket for son and crew - is Whitworths the go?

            I have to fill in entry form - what is our VYC Yardstick?

            I am hoping to sail with my son and his 15 year old for some of the time (and probably by myself when son is recalled by his wife.... )

            Does the Yardstick have one, two or three variants?

            I have the Portsmouth rating - is this the same?

            Geoff

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 10, 2013
              Confirm Whitworths is the go.  PFD Type 2 is the standard for racing.

              Handicap

              Apparently the Weta has two "Portsmouth" handicaps - 1 up 84.10, 2 up 91.4
              Comparison - Hobie 16 - 82.5, 505 - 97.5, 49er - 79.9, Flying Dutchman - 93.

              At this stage I would nominate according to your crew situation.

                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 10, 2013

                  Hi Guys,

                  George did a great article on handicaps for Wetas - you can read it here http://www.weta.org.uk/page11.html But I wouldn't stress about what to put down for Jervis Bay as there will be 5 or 6 of you and the race committee will probably ask Chris or Glenn what they think it should be and put you all under the same handicap.

                  For being comfortable while sailing, get a wetsuit and a smock top http://www.ronstan.com.au/marine5/range.asp?RnID=260 (don't have to use Ronstan just as they are our supplier I know their website well). You especially want kids to be warm and comfortable. Get a sleeveless wetsuit or wetsuit bottoms, in Australia you'll be wanting layers so that you can strip off, a full wetsuit will be to hot most of the year. Also see the Zhik website for ideas. https://www.zhik.com/

                  Unless you have tough hands you'll want sailing gloves - you can use leather sailing gloves or gardening gloves like these - http://www.bunnings.co.nz/products_product_garden-gloves-showa_2951.aspx I use gardening gloves because they give more grip, easier on your forearms, although tougher on your hands as less protection against callouses etc.

                  Get a PFD with a good strong pocket in the front, like the zhik one, then in that pocket put nut bars, shortish lengths of spare rope, electricians tape and a zinc or suncream stick.

                  Keep yourself and kids well fed and watered while sailing. I drink lots water and eat nut bars on the water (they still taste fine after a dunking!) and I make sure I have a good breakfast on race days. Tie your water bottles to something.

                  On race day give yourself more than double the usual time to rig and get ready - check shackles are tight. Check that you have plenty of rig tension, so that side stays can't jump out. At Jervis Bay go introduce yourself to Chris and ask him for advice on set up (maybe do this earlier on in the day!).

                  Take hat, sunnies, suncream and boots if you want them.

                  Cheers,

                  Miranda

                  PS - It would be good to have a basic tool kit such as shackle key, pliers, adjustable spanner, rough sanding paper, flat head and Phillips screwdriver and silicone plus spare shackles (a few different kinds). Spare rope, burner and knife.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 10, 2013

                    Marvellous Miranda - thanks for all this info,

                    Just had a thought. Would not mind buying a WETA hat and long sleeved Tee shirt if Marketing have these things (and some can be brought over).

                    Apparently I am small and fat, but "she" has fallen short of adding with big head.

                    My son is 6' 1" and grandson is 6' 2" at 14 years old! (We should be able to wade out into quite deep water, while I busy myself with the tiller).

                    Can we opt for Black in colour?

                    I'm sure Glenn will have more Technicolor stuff...?

                    Geoff

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 11, 2013

                      Ahh, my favorite subject - handicaps! Just what planet is Oz (and the US) on? Do you really think a Weta is a lot faster than a Flying Dutchman or a 505? It isn't.  In fresh winds (15kts plus) it performs quite well but in the range 6-12 kts it is quite slow (paradoxically in very light winds it is comparatively quick). In a decent 'Australian' breeze (the Yachting Victoria system assumes 15kts) and using the 505 as a yardstick (PN902, YV 97.5) the Weta  (PN 950) would  rate about 104 on the YV system. Having said that, there are some pretty anomalous handicaps in the YV system; in the UK the Contender and the Fireball have quite similar ratings (about two percent slower than a Weta) whereas under the YV system there is a six percent difference between them.

                      Rgds

                      George Morris

                      PS Ahh - I have found Oz on the map - It seems to be in the southern hemisphere!!!.Presumably having to sail upside down has some effect on the displacement of the boat and consequently on its rating

                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 11, 2013
                          Handicaps!  The most controversial of subjects in any mixed fleet!  Good luck to the souls who have to figure them out.  At one stage I was so tired of handicap arguments I sold my then boat and joined a one-design fleet.  Of course, now owning the only Weta in Canberra I have thrust myself back into the argument.  Hopefully, as we get more boats on the water the data will move us towards a reasonable handicap.  I would like to be confident about this but history has not been kind to new classes in my part of the world.  I have seen a new class arrive in town with some enthusiasm, only to be swatted by the vested interests with an impossible handicap.

                          It would be nice to have someone on board who understands the argument.    I imagine handicapping the Weta is going to be problematic as there is little precedent with small trimarans.
                          ----------
                          Miranda,

                          Re the EPS image, could a link be provided on the Weta site for download?

                          Thx

                          Leigh

                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 11, 2013

                            Hi Leigh,

                            I have just uploaded two EPS files, one is the logo and on is a decal drawing of a guy sailing a Weta. They are on this forum under files - Weta logos EPS.

                            George is good with handicaps - or you could come to Jervis Bay for the regatta on the 5th and 6th of October and quiz Chris about it!

                            Cheers,

                            Miranda

                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 23, 2013

                              Hi Miranda

                              Just checked the World Map and you have aged my boat by a couple of hundred points - Sail # is 863 not 683. Any chance of a correction before the JB regatta?

                              Oh and thanks for offer of Weta caps being possibly available.

                              On another note would love a video on the correct way to down wind beach land at 15 knots plus?.....

                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 27, 2013

                                  Hi Miranda,

                                  I wish I was more of a technocrat - the update on the World Map for my boat has the right sail number but now I have a yellow gennaker which somehow has morphed into my email. (...gennakergeoff@...) !!

                                  My email is: geoff@...

                                  Was this done after commiserations on the America's Cup? I understood that both boats were sailed by Kiwis anyway....

                                  Cheers - G

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 28, 2013

                                    Hi Geoff

                                    I haven't yet landed on a beach in that much wind but I do have similar (if not harder) problems trying to get back onto a pontoon in Rushcutters Bay in Sydney.

                                    If you look at the surfing video that Chris and Miranda produced it does illustrate one way which is to surf in on a wave and pull up the daggerboard at the last moment - but I would suggest this is pretty risky and daggerboards can break quite easily on sand and can quickly provide you with an unwanted "canting keel" - yes I have done it!

                                    My suggestion is to drop the Main entirely (either tie up to a bouy offshore or back the jib and go into irons while you do this) and come in on the jib alone with the daggerboard half up and rudder loosened - it will make it less likely to round up and more controllable once you've stopped. If it's calm enough you could turn into wind as you get to the beach and jump out to grab the bow - if the waves are big, your best bet may be bring up the daggerboard entirely just before you get to the surf and catch a wave onto the beach.