Weta Telltales

  • tomkirkman1
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2013
      I just bought a Weta Furling Jib. While setting up, I noted that it is exactly the same size as the standard equipment jib (thought it was said to be smaller) and noticed that the telltales on it are not in the same place as those on the standard equipment sail.

      Have any of you experimented with different telltale placement on either the jib or the mainsail? From the sailing I've done with other boats the telltale placement on the Weta sails seems a bit odd, particularly the ones on the mainsail. Did they do their homework or is better placement possible?

      By the way, the telltales on my new furling jib were so stiff and so short that they fly straight back in zero wind. In fact, they fly straight back in any wind, regardless of sail trim.
    • George
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 4, 2013
        Tom,

        I have had a furling jib for several years and the telltales work just fine except when it is raining. They are exactly the same as every other stick-on telltale you have ever seen so if yours are different I would say that this is a retrograde step and suggest you buy some stick on ones from a chandler. As to placement - they seem to be in the right place although the stream direction is angled downwards a bit. But as I say, they work fine. The ones on the mainsail are pretty helpful although I only use the top two on the trailing edge most of the time. There is a reverse flow boundary layer separation bubble in places but that is not the fault of the tell tales,

        rgds

        George