Bow Fitting Upgrade Details

  • Jim Vincent
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 18 8:33 PM
      The old style bow fitting on the Weta is comprised of two eyebolts and some line. The newer style uses only a single length of line.

      My impetus for changing to the new version is three fold. First, when trailering, the trailer line puts a lateral load on the eye bolt, whereas it is designed for vertical loads. Second, even with Loctite, the bottom nut came loose on one side because of the torsion from the trailer line. Third, I want the latest and greatest.

      Roger Kitchen kindly advised me to:

      1) Sand the hole with a rounded entry
      2) Use 5mm Maffioli DSK75 Race Line for the new bow fitting line
      3) Use a figure eight knot to secure it
      5) Keep an eye out for wear even though it might look absolutely fine

      Here in the USA, the best pricing I've found for the 5mm line is at www.shopsoundboatworks.com/5mmmadsrali.html

      I ordered 4 feet, good for four applications. Total cost under $13 including shipping.
    • Jim Vincent
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 27, 2013
        I know of two times where this line has failed. Has anyone else experienced this? I think I'm going to proactively replace the line at the start of each sailing season, or maybe half way through the season. A cheap fix for a known failure mode.

        --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Vincent" <gapagod@...> wrote:

        > The old style bow fitting on the Weta is comprised of two eyebolts and some line. The newer style uses only a single length of line.
        >
        > My impetus for changing to the new version is three fold. First, when trailering, the trailer line puts a lateral load on the eye bolt, whereas it is designed for vertical loads. Second, even with Loctite, the bottom nut came loose on one side because of the torsion from the trailer line. Third, I want the latest and greatest.
        >
        > Roger Kitchen kindly advised me to:
        >
        > 1) Sand the hole with a rounded entry
        > 2) Use 5mm Maffioli DSK75 Race Line for the new bow fitting line
        > 3) Use a figure eight knot to secure it
        > 5) Keep an eye out for wear even though it might look absolutely fine
        >
        > Here in the USA, the best pricing I've found for the 5mm line is at www.shopsoundboatworks.com/5mmmadsrali.html
        >
        > I ordered 4 feet, good for four applications. Total cost under $13 including shipping.

      • petecailes
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 28, 2013
          I also had two failures and have now replaced the forestay fitting with a stainless steel bracket, see photo already posted. Other boats in the UK are now fitting these brackets at a cost of £30.00 plus P&P.
          Each bracket is made to measure (hole centres required).
          This now allows safe rigging for the forestay, tieing down for towing and towing the Weta behind another boat.
          Cheers
          Pete

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 28, 2013

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 28, 2013
              Pete, would you please share the contact information for the bracket manufacturer? I'm sure many of us will consider it.

              Thanks so much!

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 28, 2013
                Here is Pete's original thread on the hardware mods:

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 28, 2013
                  Hi Jim,

                  I can supply these brackets as required.

                  All i need is centre of holes in mm for each Weta (approx 112) and an address to send it to.

                  After payment transfers and rate exchanges i need to realise £30.00 plus P&P to cover costs.

                  This is a quality piece of fabrication and is made from 316 stainless steel, it looks like it belongs!

                  Cheers

                  Pete

                  --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Vincent" <gapagod@...> wrote:

                  > Pete, would you please share the contact information for the bracket manufacturer? I'm sure many of us will consider it.
                  >
                  > Thanks so much!
                  >
                  > --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "petecailes" <petecailes@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I also had two failures and have now replaced the forestay fitting with a stainless steel bracket, see photo already posted. Other boats in the UK are now fitting these brackets at a cost of £30.00 plus P&P.
                  > > Each bracket is made to measure (hole centres required).
                  > > This now allows safe rigging for the forestay, tieing down for towing and towing the Weta behind another boat.
                  > > Cheers
                  > > Pete
                  > >
                  > > --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Vincent" <gapagod@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I know of two times where this line has failed. Has anyone else experienced this? I think I'm going to proactively replace the line at the start of each sailing season, or maybe half way through the season. A cheap fix for a known failure mode.

                • weta847
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 30, 2013
                    Pete,

                    when you say center of holes, do you mean the distance between the center of the holes ?

                    Regards

                    --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "petecailes" <petecailes@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Jim,
                    >
                    > I can supply these brackets as required.
                    >
                    > All i need is centre of holes in mm for each Weta (approx 112) and an address to send it to.
                    >
                    > After payment transfers and rate exchanges i need to realise £30.00 plus P&P to cover costs.
                    >
                    > This is a quality piece of fabrication and is made from 316 stainless steel, it looks like it belongs!
                    >
                    > Cheers
                    >
                    > Pete
                    >
                    > --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Vincent" <gapagod@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Pete, would you please share the contact information for the bracket manufacturer? I'm sure many of us will consider it.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks so much!
                    > >
                    > > --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "petecailes" <petecailes@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I also had two failures and have now replaced the forestay fitting with a stainless steel bracket, see photo already posted. Other boats in the UK are now fitting these brackets at a cost of £30.00 plus P&P.
                    > > > Each bracket is made to measure (hole centres required).
                    > > > This now allows safe rigging for the forestay, tieing down for towing and towing the Weta behind another boat.
                    > > > Cheers
                    > > > Pete

                  • Pete Cailes
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 30, 2013
                      Hi,

                      Yes, sorry for the confusion, i mean the distance between the centre of the holes, this should be around 110mm to 113mm typically

                      Cheers

                      Pete

                      ________________________________
                      when you say center of holes, do you mean the distance between the center of the holes ?

                      Regards

                      --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "petecailes" <petecailes@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Jim,
                      >
                      > I can supply these brackets as required.
                      >
                      > All i need is centre of holes in mm for each Weta (approx 112) and an address to send it to.
                      >
                      > After payment transfers and rate exchanges i need to realise £30.00 plus P&P to cover costs.
                      >
                      > This is a quality piece of fabrication and is made from 316 stainless steel, it looks like it belongs!
                      >
                      > Cheers
                      >
                      > Pete
                      >
                      > --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Vincent" <gapagod@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Pete, would you please share the contact information for the bracket manufacturer? I'm sure many of us will consider it.
                      > >
                      > > Thanks so much!
                      > >
                      > > --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "petecailes" <petecailes@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I also had two failures and have now replaced the forestay fitting with a stainless steel bracket, see photo already posted. Other boats in the UK are now fitting these brackets at a cost of £30.00 plus P&P.
                      > > > Each bracket is made to measure (hole centres required).
                      > > > This now allows safe rigging for the forestay, tieing down for towing and towing the Weta behind another boat.
                      > > > Cheers
                      > > > Pete

                    • jimvincent507
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 27