Mainsail trim

  • wetasocal
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2008
      Sailed my boat for the first time yesterday. I may add a traveler
      eventually. I noticed that w/o the traveler that the twist of the
      mainsail in about 15 knots of wind made it impossible to have both
      upper and lower telltales streaming together. My question is, as long
      as I am sailing w/o a traveler (which may be indefinitely),for optimal
      performance, should I sail to the bottom of the mainsail or the top?
      That is, trimming with the sheet only, since I can't have all of the
      telltales streaming properly, should I have the top half of the sail
      trimmed properly or the bottom half of the sail trimmed properly?

      Another question comes to mind. Weta wants to encourage OD racing.
      Will travelers be allowed in OD racing? Or to be fair, will boats
      that have travelers be required to keep them centered in OD racing and
      only use them in handicap racing and daysailing? Food for thought (and
      discussion).

      BS (my initials AND a description of my rhetoric :-) )