Re: Sail Number Colors

  • fly507
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 30, 2013
      I reached out to Roger at Weta Marine. He asked I share the following with the group:

      "Weta Marine is happy if you use other colours for sail numbers.

      You will need to check up with your regatta committees to see if other colours are acceptable to them as it may depend on location etc"

      Is there any consensus amongst the various committees, or is it an issue needing resolution?

      -Jim V.

      P.S. I'm rather anti-authority and have no expectation of doing any formal racing, so I'm going with red for visibility and safety reasons.

      --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "fly507" wrote:

      > Jerry, The Weta site has instructions for applying the sail number.
      >
      > http://www.wetamarine.com/images/stories/weta_owners/Sail_Number_Instructions.pdf
      >
      > Unfortunately, it states "The sail numbers should be black and measure 300mm x 200mm except for the number 1."
      >
      > Allowing other colors would increase visibility, but I guess we're stuck with black.
      >
      > --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "wetadream" wrote:
      > >
      > > Quick question. I do not see any restrictions on the COLOR of sail numbers in the Weta class notes. Where would I look to see if my really nice looking red numbers would disqualify me in a sanctioned race?
      > >
      > > v/r,
      > > Jerry

    • Robert Shirley
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 30, 2013
        I would never protest somebody b/c of the color of the numbers on their sails. And, I suspect that none of the Weta sailors I have met so far would neither.

        And, all of the regattas I have sailed in have been with other fleets. I suspect the RCs have been oblivious to the fact that we have to have black numbers.

        BTW: I have black numbers. But, if I think red numbers are more visible.

        BS
        Weta #147, Ventura CA.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 30, 2013
          I've heard comments while in a group of Wetas at a recent regatta that
          someone on a race committee commented on how much easier the red numbers
          were to see on entry's sail than the black numbers on all the others. I'm
          glad to hear there's some latitude in the attitude about number colors.

          Aloha,

          Bruce Fleming

          wavejump@...

          c: 858 342-9014

        • Gorun R.
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 31, 2013
            On 31/01/2013 00:51, fly507 wrote:

            > You will need to check up with your regatta committees to see if other
            > colours are acceptable to them as it may depend on location etc"
            >
            > Is there any consensus amongst the various committees, or is it an
            > issue needing resolution?
            Hi all,

            we had same discussion in france some years ago and think red numbers
            are more visible. We also heard such comments from race committees
            saying red would be better.
            but
            The principle of having multiple colors on a class or on a sail was just
            rejected by our sailing federation, and we had to remove this from our
            class rules. We kept black as 99,9% of Weta have black numbers :)

            Owners who are using red numbers in france now have a big problem, and
            these old wetas can not race anymore without buying a new sail or race
            committee special agreement : black sail numbers are provided by
            wetamarine since 3 years only.

            I would suggest your future national association to ask to the guy who
            will have to give agreement to your future class rules first :)

            regards,

            Gorun R.
          • Bruce Fleming
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 31, 2013
              I'm puzzled by this concern about multiple colors for sail numbers. What is
              the reason for imposing such a strict rule that sail numbers on dark grey
              Weta sails can only be black? Is there a concern that too much color on the
              sail will reduce visibility of the numbers?

              Aloha,

              Bruce Fleming

              Akahele!, #276

              San Diego, California

              > You will need to check up with your regatta committees to see if other
              > colours are acceptable to them as it may depend on location etc"
              >
              > Is there any consensus amongst the various committees, or is it an
              > issue needing resolution?
              Hi all,

              we had same discussion in france some years ago and think red numbers
              are more visible. We also heard such comments from race committees
              saying red would be better.
              but
              The principle of having multiple colors on a class or on a sail was just
              rejected by our sailing federation, and we had to remove this from our
              class rules. We kept black as 99,9% of Weta have black numbers :)

              Owners who are using red numbers in france now have a big problem, and
              these old wetas can not race anymore without buying a new sail or race
              committee special agreement : black sail numbers are provided by
              wetamarine since 3 years only.

              I would suggest your future national association to ask to the guy who
              will have to give agreement to your future class rules first :)

              regards,

              Gorun R.

            • Jonathan Weston
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 31, 2013
                White numbers for white hulls? Yellow for yellow?

                Sent from my iPhone

                On Jan 31, 2013, at 9:28 AM, "Bruce Fleming" <wavejump@...> wrote:

                > I'm puzzled by this concern about multiple colors for sail numbers. What is
                > the reason for imposing such a strict rule that sail numbers on dark grey
                > Weta sails can only be black? Is there a concern that too much color on the
                > sail will reduce visibility of the numbers?
                >
                > Aloha,
                >
                > Bruce Fleming
                >
                > Akahele!, #276
                >
                > San Diego, California

              • Gorun R.
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 31, 2013
                  > Weta sails can only be black? Is there a concern that too much color on
                  > the sail will reduce visibility of the numbers?

                  we understood they thinked something like "some racers will play with
                  colors to be more or less visible."

                  Lot of small details were like this, and you can not really fight with
                  national federation when you are alone in the world :) (from isaf point of
                  view).

                  maybe such thing can be accepted in the US.

                  regards,

                  Gorun R.
                • Gerald Allen
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 31, 2013
                    Gorun,

                    Wise advice as always. Here is my 2 Cents-worth (about .015 Euro).

                    The sail number
                    color issue was brought up several years ago. Since then, many other modifications have hit
                    the forum involving just about every line, halyard, chunk of fiberglass, and
                    sail on the Weta. I believe any serious discussion on class rules (US and/or International) must include
                    ALL of these modifications.

                    Right now it
                    seems to be a gentleman's boat with kind of a "no protest"
                    understanding. In the future it might be too much to expect this understanding
                    to persist (and especially in the international arena).

                    By the way: To
                    the guys taking on the awesome task or organizing a US Weta-class - Thank You.

                    Regards,

                    Jerry

                    To: Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com
                    From: gorun@...
                    Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 09:56:30 +0100

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 31, 2013
                      Who would want to be visible? That's crazy talk. Doesn't Napoleon come in
                      three colors? Revolt! Even Renault came in many colors. Where was
                      Federation then?

                      --
                      Jonathan Weston