Righting a Weta... First hand experience

  • skthumperd
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 14, 2012
      I have been reading all of your experiences about turtling a Weta over these many months and have anxiously been waiting for it to happen to me. Well, it did and it's on film. Last weekend my brother and I headed down to Oregon to participate in the Double Damned regatta. As most of you know, it is a 41 mile race up the Columbia River gorge. Dave Berntsen participated, so I am sure we will hear more about the race. Unfortunately, the race itself was plagued with light wind. So light in fact, we only made it half way.

      Anyway, the wind was howling the Friday BEFORE the race. My brother and I went out to make sure we would be alright for the race with every intention of rolling the boat to ensure we could right it easily. I wasn't exactly planning on steering into the accidental gybe that put us over, but it was certainly a lesson.

      Check it out…

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK8D4mNZLLA
    • David
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 14, 2012
        Strangely, one of the entertaining Weta videos I've seen!

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 14, 2012
          "MOST entertaining," I should say.
        • eric e
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 14, 2012
            well done;o)

             the race itself was plagued with light wind. So light in fact, we only made it half way.

            Anyway, the wind was howling the Friday BEFORE the race. My brother and I went out to make sure we would be alright for the race with every intention of rolling the boat to ensure we could right it easily. I wasn't exactly planning on steering into the accidental gybe that put us over
          • Christopher Harvey
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 14, 2012
              Great video.........well done!!! :-)

              -Chris H.
              no. 148
              San Francisco Bay

              On Aug 14, 2012, at 2:27 PM, "skthumperd" <skeever@...> wrote:

              > I have been reading all of your experiences about turtling a Weta over these many months and have anxiously been waiting for it to happen to me. Well, it did and it's on film. Last weekend my brother and I headed down to Oregon to participate in the Double Damned regatta. As most of you know, it is a 41 mile race up the Columbia River gorge. Dave Berntsen participated, so I am sure we will hear more about the race. Unfortunately, the race itself was plagued with light wind. So light in fact, we only made it half way.
              >
              > Anyway, the wind was howling the Friday BEFORE the race. My brother and I went out to make sure we would be alright for the race with every intention of rolling the boat to ensure we could right it easily. I wasn't exactly planning on steering into the accidental gybe that put us over, but it was certainly a lesson.
              >
              > Check it out…
              >
              > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK8D4mNZLLA

            • Mark Iverson
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 15, 2012
                Nice work Steve.

                On Aug 14, 2012, at 2:27 PM, "skthumperd" <skeever@...> wrote:

                > I have been reading all of your experiences about turtling a Weta over these many months and have anxiously been waiting for it to happen to me. Well, it did and it's on film. Last weekend my brother and I headed down to Oregon to participate in the Double Damned regatta. As most of you know, it is a 41 mile race up the Columbia River gorge. Dave Berntsen participated, so I am sure we will hear more about the race. Unfortunately, the race itself was plagued with light wind. So light in fact, we only made it half way.
                >
                > Anyway, the wind was howling the Friday BEFORE the race. My brother and I went out to make sure we would be alright for the race with every intention of rolling the boat to ensure we could right it easily. I wasn't exactly planning on steering into the accidental gybe that put us over, but it was certainly a lesson.
                >
                > Check it out…
                >
                > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK8D4mNZLLA

              • Robert Shirley
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 15, 2012
                  Welcome to the club!  One question I have tho:  It seems like you put the port on the ama back on pretty quickly. Had all of the water drained out of it that fast?

                  BS

                  On Aug 14, 2012, at 2:27 PM, "skthumperd" <skeever@...> wrote:

                  > Anyway, the wind was howling the Friday BEFORE the race. My brother and I went out to make sure we would be alright for the race with every intention of rolling the boat to ensure we could right it easily. I wasn't exactly planning on steering into the accidental gybe that put us over, but it was certainly a lesson.
                  >
                  > Check it out…
                  >
                  > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK8D4mNZLLA

                • Steve Keever
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 15, 2012
                    It did. With my 200 pounds on the back of the boat running just shy of a full beam in 35 knot wind, it tipped up pretty quickly and drained fast. Looking at the vid, the amma was out of the water starting at 2:21. We were under sail again very shortly after with me near the stern around 2:33 giving the boat a distinctively bow high angle. My brother capped it at 3:10 giving gravity 30 seconds or so to do its work. That must have been plenty of time because when we got it back on the trailer, only a few quarts spilled out after opening the portal again.