Sail height - again..

  • mfcdubai
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2012
      This was a hot topic a few months ago, and here's some fuel to the fire..

      Just got some (official)spare main hailyard wire strops, and was making up a couple of spare main hailyards. Something looked odd , as the new ones looked shorter than the old ones. Guess what - they are more than 2" shorter (in the dimension that counts - eye end to lock), which means that on boats with the new strop, the main is 2" further up the mast...

      Have checked,and it is fine in terms of function - still long enough to allow locking and unlocking, etc.

      So, newer boats will be at least two seconds faster per hour of sailing, and if they have the new battens too........ I leave it to the techies to sort his one out - I'm going sailing :)

      Robert
      233/470/468 in DXB
    • Martin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 30, 2012
        Thats good news so I have to get a new one. My Dacron main stretches far more then the plastic ones so the additional cunningham distance will be welcome.

        -
      • Bruce Fleming
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 30, 2012
          I'll stick my neck out here.

          As noted in the previous discussions, there has been some variation in strop
          lengths, and I think we can safely assume Wetamarine has taken steps to
          tighten quality control in this area.

          Full disclosure: When I felt that my strop was longer than others, I took it
          and my mast to a rigging shop and had them shorten the strop about 2.5
          inches, for less money than the price of a 6 pack of a local micro brew, and
          I'm happy with the results. I'm not confident that it has improved my
          performance greatly, but I could be fooling myself. I've seen a couple of
          similar owner- or professionally-performed alterations fail on fellow Weta
          sailors, so this is not a fool-proof modification. Please pardon any more
          references to ships of fools.

          In the absence of a hoist height limit, such as a measurement limit line
          painted near the top of the mast, there is a practical limit to the height
          that a standard, builder-issued, main sail can be hoisted. If all masts are
          nearly the same height, or, as builder-issued they cannot be altered, then
          an owner can only do so much with hoist height to gain any advantage. After
          reaching this limit it comes back to sailing ability. Chris Kitchen still
          beats the rest of us in a stock boat on most any race course.

          Time to pull the plug and go sailing!

          Aloha,

          Bruce Fleming

          Akahele!, #276

          San Diego, California

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 30, 2012
            My thoughts entirely ....

            Sent from iPhone (probably without my reading glasses, so please excuse any bizarre word replacements that I did not see!)