Speed, upwind angles, etc...

  • Doc Reid
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 16, 2010
      Hopefully some of you can answer some questions for me about the Weta's relative speed and sailing angles.

      For those of you who are former Hobie trash (as am I currently), how does the Weta compare in speed in the different wind conditions to a Hobie 18?

      Upwind in different wind conditions what tacking angles are you able to achieve?

      How wet is the boat w/wind speeds above 12-14 kts? The videos suggest it's relatively dry going upwind on a plane, at least out on the windward net.

      Thanks in advance for your replies.
    • eric e
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 16, 2010
        Hi Doc,            after a couple of farrier tri's and a hobie18 you shouldn't find the weta much of a challenge at all, in fact quite the opposite
        i've been soloing a nacra 5.2 for several years, which is very similar to the hobie 18 performance wise, same handicap i think
        i haven't been able to have both boats on the water at the same time yet but upwind angles feel about the same so far
        as for performance, big beachcats using 20m2 of sail and a trapeze to fly a hull upwind aren't going to be challenged by a weta with it's 11.5m2 and 2 hulls in the water
        reaching will be much the same in medium air
        in light air the weta can deploy another 8m2 of reacher sail to probably get very close to the bigger cats
        downwind is the weta's major fun zone where medium air in the reacher can get the boat planning crazily along where the older, bigger spin-less cats are pretty boring
        the major difference for me between a big beachcat and the weta is one of confidence
        i'm almost always slightly on edge with the big cat as it is so powerful and i'm not heavy enough to right it myself, even righting with crew requires knowledgeable crew and not children or noobs
        but the weta being so much smaller and wider feels far more stable, the huge tramp area is very comfortable as you can drop your feet in the well or even stand on the hull while sailing. my favorite position is lying on the tramp with my feet braced inside the hull, much more comfortable than the trapeze on the cat
        the weta is also small enough to get right into shore and among other boats without feeling risky. the bigger cat has a much bigger turning circle and a strong gust into the high sail at the wrong moment could easily lead to disaster
        i can leave my cat, mast-up, on the beach so it is probably faster to get into the water than the weta but it's 155kg is a big heave in and out of the water on rollers. if i had to get the 20kg mast up and down on the cat it would take much longer. the weta's mast is about 6kg
        when the wind really picks up i can survive on the cat but i don't enjoy it much, getting safely back to the beach is always pretty stressful, 2 daggers to come up, 2 rudders to come up while trying to keep an eye out for any adventurous swimmers swimming between the moored boat.... this is where the smaller size of the weta really shines and the extra width comes into play
        if you are thinking of buying a 2nd hand weta be aware that boats before about #230? came from the factory with a shorter frp? daggerboard which isn't as good upwind as the later, longer carbon board. the new board is retrofit-able though. there also have been 3 different rudder versions too i believe. a vertical pull-up <#100?, dotan kick-up #100?-#240? and the current carbon swing-up
        eric e

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 16, 2010
          Hi Eric,
          Thanks for the detailed reply. That's most helpful.
        • Robert Shirley
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 16, 2010
            Hello Doc (and everybody else in the group),
            Q:  How wet is the boat w/wind speeds above 12-14 kts? The videos suggest it's relatively dry going upwind on a plane, at least out on the windward net.
            A:  Yes, the boat is relatively dry up-wind  when you are hiking out with your butt on the windward ama.  Downwind, with the Gennaker unfurled, with the wind in the high teens,  be prepared to be fire hosed.  Wear you wetsuit and enjoy it!  Check out the pics on the yahoo group site.
            BS

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 17, 2010
              In 10+ kts, and a 2foot sea, my wife (in her first trip on the Weta said (and I quote) - If I want to be THIS wet again, I will go to a Water Park !

              No futher questions..

              The real problem is as the wind goes up, the grin gets greater, swallowing the aforementioned water becomes a problem. I have lost / broken / had washed away three sets of sunglasses, and now use a set of strap on-goggles (Gill). Is the picture becoming clearer????

              Best fun I can imagine on the water, and the most stable - I have been fully sheeted in, with the sail level with the waves, and it STILL did not go over...

              Only advice - try one..

              Robert
            • Doc Reid
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 18, 2010