Used Weta for Sale in Florida

  • Oscar Kramer
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 9, 2012
      I am reluctantly selling my 1-year-old Weta. It is gray with red gennaker and in perfect shape. Comes with new continuous furler, wide beach wheelez and road-king trailer. Equipped with Ronstan promotional package (cockpit mesh bag, huge gear bag that fits everything, and foam padding along the rails). Also has XP-98w Tactician Compass, two telescoping paddles, two life-jackets, and blocks for 2:1 purchase on jib sheets.

      I just bought a keelboat to spend more time with the family after wife accused me of having an affair with my Weta (guilty). Will let everything go for 10.5K USD (save 3K from same-equipped new). Sail #502, ready to race.

      Note to the East-coast racers: You're not rid of me! I still plan to charter for the big regattas. Gotta show the wife whose boss.

      Oscar
      Miami Beach
    • no
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 12, 2012
        Oscar,
        I'm a buyer if you can help get her to Texas, say meet in Pensacola or Mobile? If so, #502 will be added to the budding Texas fleet.

        Anyone coming to Texas from Florida soon?

        Thanks, John

        --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "Oscar Kramer" <oscarkramer@...> wrote:

        > I am reluctantly selling my 1-year-old Weta. It is gray with red gennaker and in perfect shape. Comes with new continuous furler, wide beach wheelez and road-king trailer. Equipped with Ronstan promotional package (cockpit mesh bag, huge gear bag that fits everything, and foam padding along the rails). Also has XP-98w Tactician Compass, two telescoping paddles, two life-jackets, and blocks for 2:1 purchase on jib sheets.
        >
        > I just bought a keelboat to spend more time with the family after wife accused me of having an affair with my Weta (guilty). Will let everything go for 10.5K USD (save 3K from same-equipped new). Sail #502, ready to race.
        >
        > Note to the East-coast racers: You're not rid of me! I still plan to charter for the big regattas. Gotta show the wife whose boss.
        >
        > Oscar
        > Miami Beach

      • David
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 12, 2012
          Hi John/Oscar,
          My Weta just arrived in Texas today. The guy who towed it for me from CA is on his way to Florida right now. He's then headed back to CA with another boat in tow. Unless you need the trailer maybe he could load your boat on dolly on the lumber rack over his truck and drop it off on his way back through Texas. I'll email you his contact info.
          --David.

          --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "no" <jluzius@...> wrote:

          > Oscar,
          > I'm a buyer if you can help get her to Texas, say meet in Pensacola or Mobile? If so, #502 will be added to the budding Texas fleet.
          >
          > Anyone coming to Texas from Florida soon?
          >
          > Thanks, John
          >
          > --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "Oscar Kramer" <oscarkramer@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I am reluctantly selling my 1-year-old Weta. It is gray with red gennaker and in perfect shape. Comes with new continuous furler, wide beach wheelez and road-king trailer. Equipped with Ronstan promotional package (cockpit mesh bag, huge gear bag that fits everything, and foam padding along the rails). Also has XP-98w Tactician Compass, two telescoping paddles, two life-jackets, and blocks for 2:1 purchase on jib sheets.
          > >
          > > I just bought a keelboat to spend more time with the family after wife accused me of having an affair with my Weta (guilty). Will let everything go for 10.5K USD (save 3K from same-equipped new). Sail #502, ready to race.
          > >
          > > Note to the East-coast racers: You're not rid of me! I still plan to charter for the big regattas. Gotta show the wife whose boss.
          > >
          > > Oscar
          > > Miami Beach

        • Red Tuna
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 15, 2012
            Yes!

            --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "no" <jluzius@...> wrote:

            > Oscar,
            > I'm a buyer if you can help get her to Texas, say meet in Pensacola or Mobile? If so, #502 will be added to the budding Texas fleet.
            >
            > Anyone coming to Texas from Florida soon?
            >
            > Thanks, John
          • no
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 16, 2012
              Yes, you are in Florida coming to Texas?
              or
              Yes! someone new to beat up on the course?

              John

              --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "Red Tuna" <redtuna23@...> wrote:

              > Yes!
              >
              > --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "no" <jluzius@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Oscar,
              > > I'm a buyer if you can help get her to Texas, say meet in Pensacola or Mobile? If so, #502 will be added to the budding Texas fleet.
              > >
              > > Anyone coming to Texas from Florida soon?
              > >
              > > Thanks, John

            • Red Tuna
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 16, 2012
                No!

                Yes?!? I hope to finish before you at least some of the time.

                What I'm really interested in is how we're going to handle it in TCC if we start fleeting out. Hoping we can maintain the same start with the Portsmouth dinghies at TCC events.

                Congratulations.

                Larry

                --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "no" <jluzius@...> wrote:

                > Yes, you are in Florida coming to Texas?
                > or
                > Yes! someone new to beat up on the course?
                >
                > John
              • no
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 16, 2012
                  Until we get a minimum of 5+ Wetas on the line, I'd like to think the clubs would allow us to sail in TCC portsmouth centerboard, if we can all agree that would be the best fit. I really like the idea of sailing against the usual suspects, rather than a couple of Hobies, F18's and A-Cats.

                  My goal is to sail all the TCC stops (10!) this year in the Weta.

                  John

                  --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "Red Tuna" <redtuna23@...> wrote:

                  > No!
                  >
                  > Yes?!? I hope to finish before you at least some of the time.
                  >
                  > What I'm really interested in is how we're going to handle it in TCC if we start fleeting out. Hoping we can maintain the same start with the Portsmouth dinghies at TCC events.
                  >
                  > Congratulations.
                  >
                  > Larry
                  >

                  > --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "no" <jluzius@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Yes, you are in Florida coming to Texas?
                  > > or
                  > > Yes! someone new to beat up on the course?
                  > >
                  > > John

                • David
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 19, 2012
                    Yes, please, to the centerboard class. I've started with and/or near in sequence to fast cats, and while it's certainly interesting, it's a bit messy. I believe the Weta is much more like a typical centerboard dinghy when it comes to pre-start maneuvers and overall speeds. That said, I don't think the centerboarders like our width so much--clogging up the line.

                    So, how close are we to getting 5+ Wetas for our own starts here in Texas?

                    --David
                    #373, Katy, TX

                    --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "no" <jluzius@...> wrote:

                    > Until we get a minimum of 5+ Wetas on the line, I'd like to think the clubs would allow us to sail in TCC portsmouth centerboard, if we can all agree that would be the best fit. I really like the idea of sailing against the usual suspects, rather than a couple of Hobies, F18's and A-Cats.
                    >
                    > My goal is to sail all the TCC stops (10!) this year in the Weta.
                    >
                    > John
                  • Red Tuna
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 19, 2012
                      Looks like we might be approaching critical mass. It would be really cool to get five or even all seven Texas boats together on the line some time.

                      But until that happens, at least LCYC seems quite comfortable with Wetas in the Portsmouth dinghy fleet after a few races with the TCC. I think DaveK may have AYC on board as well.

                      Welcome to Texas, David.

                      Larry
                      LCYC

                      --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "David" <mariner1460@...> wrote:

                      > Yes, please, to the centerboard class. I've started with and/or near in sequence to fast cats, and while it's certainly interesting, it's a bit messy. I believe the Weta is much more like a typical centerboard dinghy when it comes to pre-start maneuvers and overall speeds. That said, I don't think the centerboarders like our width so much--clogging up the line.
                      >
                      > So, how close are we to getting 5+ Wetas for our own starts here in Texas?
                      >
                      > --David
                      > #373, Katy, TX
                      >
                      > --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "no" <jluzius@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Until we get a minimum of 5+ Wetas on the line, I'd like to think the clubs would allow us to sail in TCC portsmouth centerboard, if we can all agree that would be the best fit. I really like the idea of sailing against the usual suspects, rather than a couple of Hobies, F18's and A-Cats.
                      > >
                      > > My goal is to sail all the TCC stops (10!) this year in the Weta.
                      > >
                      > > John

                    • Red Tuna
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 20, 2012
                        David,

                        Forgot to invite you to come up and play with us in Austin on March 11 for the AYC opening day regatta.

                        And I'm guessing mum is the word on John's new boat for anyone that also goes on Sailing Anarchy.

                        Larry
                        LCYC
                      • David
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 20, 2012
                          Thanks for the invite, Larry. That sounds like fun. About a 50/50 chance I'll be able to make it. I'll let you know as we get closer.
                          --David.

                          --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "Red Tuna" <redtuna23@...> wrote:

                          > David,
                          >
                          > Forgot to invite you to come up and play with us in Austin on March 11 for the AYC opening day regatta.
                          >
                          > And I'm guessing mum is the word on John's new boat for anyone that also goes on Sailing Anarchy.
                          >
                          > Larry
                          > LCYC

                        • George
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 21, 2012
                            Guys, you are a long way from Scotland but what you do there may affect what we do here. Do everything you can to get in with the centreboard classes - start behind them if they don't want you jamming the start line. If we have to race with the established multihulls there will be a) fewer regattas and b) we will be at the back of the fleet. If we get to be classed as a dinghy we can race almost anywhere and we will be mid fleet or better at most regattas.

                            Rgds

                            George Morris
                          • Robert Spencer
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 21, 2012
                              +1 on that, from even further away.

                              I have won the argument with my club - now the weta sails with the open dinghies - mostly monos, and with a PY of 950 . I lost out with the national authority, as a result of being collateral damage in a different argument.

                              Where possible, stay with the dinghies - if you get pushed in with the cats, especially F16 / F18's you are in for frustration and abuse, as you will be last to finish, and the SCHRS handicap is nonsense.

                              R.
                            • Martin
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 22, 2012
                                shouldn't we hange the subject ?

                                I raced with a mixed fleet of cats last spring on a distance race of 35 nm and finished last with the race commité gone and almost missed the dinner as the wind dropped in the evening, we were double handed and the last 5 miles were downwind.

                                --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, Robert Spencer <mfcdubai@...> wrote:

                                > +1 on that, from even further away.
                                >
                                > I have won the argument with my club - now the weta sails with the open dinghies - mostly monos, and with a PY of 950 . I lost out with the national authority, as a result of being collateral damage in a different argument.
                                >
                                > Where possible, stay with the dinghies - if you get pushed in with the cats, especially F16 / F18's you are in for frustration and abuse, as you will be last to finish, and the SCHRS handicap is nonsense.
                                >
                                > R.

                              • no
                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 22, 2012
                                  Will there be a new US Portsmouth rating for the Weta this year for mixed dingy racing?

                                  Can the Weta sail to the 78.5 in the centerboard fleet (assuming that it is sailed perfect)? If so, in what conditions?

                                  Thanks, John
                                • Robert S.
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 22, 2012
                                    For what it is worth...

                                    Lots on H/C in older threads, and I long ago promised that I would not get
                                    involved in the "H" discussion again :)

                                    The accepted PY for the UK RYA system gives a PY of 949, while an RS 400
                                    has a PY of 950.

                                    On the water, and in 8-12 kts, I can more or less agree with this, as I can
                                    keep level (at least at the marks, on a triangular course) with the RS400.
                                    If I was a better sailor, I guess I could beat the RS consistently in these
                                    conditions, and with a triangular course. Windward / leeward courses are
                                    too boring !

                                    Once the wind drops below about 8 kts, the RS kicks my ass downwind, and
                                    below maybe 5 kt, the Weta is best placed in the boat park (as is the RS).

                                    The US rating of 78.5 looks like, that in all but the freshest of breeze,
                                    and with the most talented of sailor :), you will not be competitive with
                                    the monos on handicap..

                                    I see the 29er is 84.5, so I guess the 78.5 is based on the (generally
                                    accepted to be hugely flawed) SCHRS rating.

                                    Talk nice you your club... or get enough Weta for your own class (I
                                    succeeded on the first, and am working on the second!)

                                    Robert

                                    470inDXB

                                    On 22 February 2012 18:13, no <jluzius@...> wrote:

                                    > **
                                    >

                                    > Will there be a new US Portsmouth rating for the Weta this year for mixed
                                    > dingy racing?
                                    >
                                    > Can the Weta sail to the 78.5 in the centerboard fleet (assuming that it
                                    > is sailed perfect)? If so, in what conditions?
                                    >
                                    > Thanks, John

                                  • George
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 22, 2012
                                      Go to weta.org.uk (the British Weta Class Association website) where you will find under the RACING tab a rationale for a PY of 965 under the British Portsmouth system, which converts to about 84-82 using the American Portsmouth sytem which varies with wind strength, I believe. 78.5 would put you about two and a half minutes behind someone using 84 after 45 minutes which is a whole lot better than missing the regatta dinner!

                                      NB If anyone is racing with cats that is your choice, but do not on any account allow them to quote a SCHRS number for the Weta based on measurement. No such number exists. If they want to allocate you a handicap based on performance, fair enough, but do not let them put your beam, length or sail area into that formula. Pull out of the event and go for a sail. That miscalculated schrs handicap has put the boat back three years as a racing dinghy in this country and MUST NOT be allowerd to re-surface.

                                      Rgds

                                      George

                                      --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "no" <jluzius@...> wrote:

                                      > Will there be a new US Portsmouth rating for the Weta this year for mixed dingy racing?
                                      >
                                      > Can the Weta sail to the 78.5 in the centerboard fleet (assuming that it is sailed perfect)? If so, in what conditions?
                                      >
                                      > Thanks, John

                                    • George
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 2, 2012
                                        The UK has a series of all-comers handicap races at a number of big reservoirs during the winter. These are 'fun' races but have considerable status among the dinghy racing community. I note that the sailing instructions for one of the events specifically state that the Challenger (a small trimaran often used by disabled sailing groups) 'will sail in the singlehanded fleet, not with the multihulls'. An excellent precedent and one I shall quote at any race committee that gives me a hard time,

                                        Rgds

                                        George Morris
                                      • George
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Mar 5, 2012
                                          STOP PRESS! The RYA today issued the 2012 Portsmouth list. The Weta has been issued a number of 930, which is not over generous but it is a start (US equivalent about 84.5). I believe the RYA is the first MNA to allocate the Weta a 'dinghy' handicap. Thanks to those clubs, particularly those overseas,which submitted returns. Keep entering races, keep submitting returns and for Heaven's sake sail SLOWLY!

                                          Rgds

                                          George Morris

                                        • Stephen Galey
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Mar 5, 2012
                                            Sail slowly? You can sail slowly. I don't want to pick up any bad habits.

                                            Steve F. Galey, AIA, LEED AP BD+C, CSI, Associate Principal
                                            www.nacarchitecture.com<http://www.nacarchitecture.com/>
                                            P 206 441-4522
                                            F 206 441-7917

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Mar 5, 2012
                                              OK, sail as fast as you like, just make sure you were OCS or leave out a mark or something!
                                              --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Galey <sgaley@...> wrote:

                                              > Sail slowly? You can sail slowly. I don't want to pick up any bad habits.

                                              > Steve F. Galey, AIA, LEED AP BD+C, CSI, Associate Principal
                                              > www.nacarchitecture.com<http://www.nacarchitecture.com/>
                                              > P 206 441-4522
                                              > F 206 441-7917

                                            • David Kleinman
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Mar 6, 2012
                                                George.... Can you please explain the conversion math to US number???

                                                Thanks!

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Mar 6, 2012
                                                  David,

                                                  There is no magic formula, you just pick out some boats that are sailed in both counties and see what they rate under the UK system and what they rate under the US system. The Weta's rating under the UK Portsmouth system is now officially 930. That puts it a bit slower than an RS600 (920-US76.2) and a bit faster than an RS400 (948-US82.3), a bit slower than a 29er (922-US84.5)and quite a lot faster than a Fireball (980-US85.6) and a bit faster than an Osprey (944 -US85)

                                                  The 29er is an anomaly as we rate it quite a lot faster than you do so maybe it should be ignored but keep it in to improve our handicap and you get something between 79 and about 85. That is a very wide band. Personally I believe that on most courses the boat is a bit slower than an RS400 which puts it at about 83 but others may differ.

                                                  The US system allocates different numbers for different wind strengths - I don't know if this is done in practice but you might have the Weta spread over about 87 for light winds down to 78 in a blow.

                                                  Some of the US boat to boat relationships are significantly different to ours and it may be that some of these classes are not widely sailed in handicap fleets in the US and their handicaps are therefore suspect.

                                                  Rgds

                                                  George Morris
                                                • David Kleinman