Mid-Hudson Weta Rendezvous September 10-11

  • avogel0929
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2011
      Calling all Weta sailors. A group of us from the Northeast will descend on Chelsea Yacht Club, New York, the weekend of September 10-11 for the first (and we hope, not the last) mid-Hudson Weta rendezvous. CYC is on the east bank of the Hudson River, a few miles north of the Beacon-Newburgh Bridge and roughly 90 minutes north of New York City.

      The CYC leadership has blessed our event, and we are hoping to leave a lasting impression on the curious locals. The club members are well aware of my red Weta-—imagine what the sight of a small fleet on the river will do.

      Everyone is welcome, sailor or not, including children, but please supervise them. Unfortunately, the club does not permit dogs.

      SATURDAY SCHEDULE
      We plan to gather around midday on Saturday, September 10, rig the boats and spend the afternoon sailing for pleasure. The club has a beautiful, shaded garden directly on the river, and we will probably have a picnic lunch there, and possibly fire up the grills for dinner. There is plenty of lodging in the area. Alternatively, you can pitch a tent in the garden and spend the night there. The clubhouse has bathroom facilities with showers, and campers will have access to them overnight. The club also has secure yards to store your Weta on Saturday night.

      SUNDAY SCHEDULE
      The Sunday plans depend on when the traveling sailors need to get back on the road. The possibilities include opting for more pleasure sailing, having an informal race among the Weta fleet, or joining the club's regular 1:30 p.m. race in an open-centerboard class created for us.

      Note: As the club sustained massive flooding from Hurricane Irene, the kitchen may not yet be fit for cooking. So we would need to bring campstoves, pack picnics for breakfast and lunch, cook it on the grill, or eat out.

      EVENT DETAILS
      September 10-11, 2011

      Chelsea Yacht Club
      8 Front Street
      Wappingers Falls, New York 12590
      www.chelseayacht.org
      Map: http://g.co/maps/wduq

      NEEDED FROM YOU
      If attending, please provide the following information and e-mail it directly to me at avogel0929@..., to avoid cluttering our Yahoo! Weta group feed. I would like to have the information in hand by Sunday, September 4 so that I can tell the club leadership what to expect.

      • Number of adults/children attending
      • Name, postal address, e-mail address, cell phone number of those attending
      • Expected arrival time on September 10, and departure time on September 11
      • Whether you will camp on the property
      • Whether you will join the formal 1:30 p.m. race on September 11

      I will be waiting for you at the club on September 10 to greet you and help you to get situated.

      Cheers,

      Andrew Vogel
      Weta #440
      (203) 661-3026 [cell]