Weta West Coast Champs at StFYC NOOD 2011

  • daveberntsen
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 28 7:24 PM
      Here's a summary of the Weta West Coast Championhips held on June 25 & 26 at the StFYC NOOD regatta in San Francisco.

      The Weta fleet was one of the largest fleets racing at NOOD with 12 boats registered and racing! the weather was sunny with some fog, 15-20kts breeze from the SW on Saturday and filled in from the west on Sunday. Tides were end of flood going into moderate ebb in the afternoon. All in all we had perfect conditions racing off chrissy field in front of the GGYC and the StFYC. In my view some of the best sailing ground on the west coast.

      We were honored to have Robert Spencer from Dubai join the races. He sailed from Thursday through Sunday in 54 degree water and breeze up to 25kts which is a big change from Dubai where water temp is 100 degrees, hot and light breeze.

      I learned a few things about the Weta fleet in this race;

      1. The skill level of the SF fleet is rapidly improving and other fleets are taking notice.

      2. We previously thought that high wind races would be dominated by heavier drivers. Gordon Lyon proved this wrong as during one windy race he started well and was "on fire" beating to weather. He found the right groove upwind and was keeping up with the fastest boats in the fleet. We eventually passed him during transitions but his time on the boat definately resulted in performance.

      WetaWest is producing a professional video of the regatta which will be published in early july. Keep a look out as we got some excellent footage from chase boat, shore camera and gopro mounted on board.

      Here are the results
      1. David Berntsen, ryc
      2. Robert Hyde, Richmond Yacht Club,
      3. Bruce Fleming, Kaneohe Yacht Club,