Northeast USA Weta regatta schedule

  • Richard Stephens
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2011
      We have been making plans for the racing calendar for the Ithaca, NY Weta
      fleet, and we have two big regattas, that I would like to encourage all keen
      Weta racers to attend.

      One is the New York Centrals, July 9 & 10th at Cazenovia, NY.
      http://centralssailing.org/Centrals_Sailing/Annual_Regatta.html
      This is the biggest dinghy regatta in our area, with lasers, lightnings,
      420s, etc. The regatta brings together about 30 clubs in upstate NY and has
      been held since the 1930s. If we have a one-design fleet at the Centrals,
      that will put us on the map in the minds of local racers, and will really
      help us develop the class locally. There will be a large Opti fleet there,
      and I want the kids (and their parents) to see the Weta as a viable option
      for their next race boat, when they step up from the opti. So it is very
      important to me to get a good turn out. Now, I wish I could promise the
      sailing conditions will be like San Francisco Bay... but I have to say in
      July, it is most likely to be light air. But I can promise, if anybody
      travels from the surrounding area to join us at the Centrals, I will do the
      best I can to reciprocate, and support your most important local regatta.

      The other big one is the Heineken High Performance Dinghy Open (HPDO) on
      Columbus day weekend, Oct 8-9th. Last year they had 120 boats, including
      F18, Fireball, Moth, 49er, Viper 640, RS K6, 505. This is one of the most
      prestigious dinghy regattas in the country, with plenty of Olympians,
      Worlds, North American and National champions, along with newcomers. I hear
      some of the Americas Cup teams are racing in the F18 class, so who knows who
      you could be crossing tacks with, or chatting with at the bar! The last few
      years they have had plenty of breeze, and the racing is in the open waters
      of Long Island Sound. http://www.hpdo.org

      I hope we can gather a good sized fleet at both these events. Let me know if
      you are interested, and I'll keep you up to date when the NOR is available,
      etc.

      In addition, we are planning to attend a couple of other handicap regattas.
      There is the Canandaigua Mulithull Open (CMOR) on Sept 17-18th. I wonder if
      there is any interest in doing the Newport Unlimited, August 27 and 28?

      For the more casual weta sailors, we are also planning to hold a
      "Rendezvous" type event in the Fall. Perhaps Sept 10-11?

      Richard.