Screecher blocks

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 21, 2009
      In a post from last May, Subject: Interesting Modifications, one of the items on the list of observed modifications to the WETA was:

      -Additional screacher sheet blocks on forward beams

      I am finding the need to make the Screecher sheet easier to hang onto in heavy winds. A Tornado sailor I took out on my WETA suggested

      -Additional screacher sheet blocks on forward beams

      as was observed in the post last May.

      Now that it is several months later can some of you provide some feedback regarding the additional blocks?

      eg: Have the extra blocks worked out well? If so, where on the front beam is the optimal placement? and any other helpful info you can provide.

      Thanks,
      Bob S. #147
    • mfcdubai
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 21, 2009
        I'm planning to put a couple of 57 carbo blocks with cam cleats, in the original locations, but with the cleats well forward, so they will only lock when you really want them to.

        I have used the trolley hold-on cams, and although the angle is not great, it works ok to offload the load on a long run, and very easily released.

        I think the additional blocks will make furling a lot messier - I have thought of trying it though..

        Interesyed to hear others' views...

        MFCDubai (Robert)
      • Mitch
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 21, 2009
          Hi Bob,I have them lashed on the forward crossbeam right at the entrance to
          the hull. A longer sheet, works well - but I should've gone thinner and
          with something like salsa line or other easy running line.

          Easier to hang onto - yes
          more propensity to get fouled up - yes

          On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 9:26 AM, Bob <wetasocal@...> wrote:

          > In a post from last May, Subject: Interesting Modifications, one of the
          > items on the list of observed modifications to the WETA was:
          >
          > -Additional screacher sheet blocks on forward beams
          >
          > I am finding the need to make the Screecher sheet easier to hang onto in
          > heavy winds. A Tornado sailor I took out on my WETA suggested
          >
          > -Additional screacher sheet blocks on forward beams
          >
          > as was observed in the post last May.
          >
          > Now that it is several months later can some of you provide some feedback
          > regarding the additional blocks?
          >
          > eg: Have the extra blocks worked out well? If so, where on the front beam
          > is the optimal placement? and any other helpful info you can provide.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Bob S. #147

        • Bob Hyde
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 21, 2009
            I've tried it both ways and prefer the stock arrangement. Having the blocks routed forward with longer lines just got fouled up in the daggerboard/jib sheet/furler line too often.

            On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 9:26 AM, Bob <wetasocal@yahoo. com> wrote:

            > In a post from last May, Subject: Interesting Modifications, one of the
            > items on the list of observed modifications to the WETA was:
            >
            > -Additional screacher sheet blocks on forward beams
            >
            > I am finding the need to make the Screecher sheet easier to hang onto in
            > heavy winds. A Tornado sailor I took out on my WETA suggested
            >
            > -Additional screacher sheet blocks on forward beams
            >
            > as was observed in the post last May.
            >
            > Now that it is several months later can some of you provide some feedback
            > regarding the additional blocks?
            >
            > eg: Have the extra blocks worked out well? If so, where on the front beam
            > is the optimal placement? and any other helpful info you can provide.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Bob S. #147

          • wetatri
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 21, 2009
              I've tried three different set-up.

              1. Stock
              2. Forward beam inside (near main hull).
              3. Outside ends of the forward beams.

              I liked the routing of no.3 much better than no.2, as it kept the sheet more out of the way, and less likely to find itself with a butt-cleat at an inopportune time.

              Agree with others on the problems associated with forward routing (daggerboard, jib sheets, furling line, etc.)

              The other problem I had with this set up was the increased friction would cause the screacher to furl VERY tightly, leaving about 1.5 feet of unfurled screacher at the leeward mark (when the breeze was up).

              I have gone back to the stock set up, but was having great difficulty trying to hold it on any powered up reaching. I ended up taking Greg's advice and cleating it. Just be sure that you have it and the main sheet in hand!!!

              -Chris H.
              no. 148