Hanging out with the sailors at the Pensacola Trimaran Rendezvous

  • Charles Ashley
    Message 1 of 1 , May 8, 2011
      My daughter Stefanie and I enjoy sailing with and hanging out with the sailors at the Pensacola Trimaran Rendezvous. It was a nice outing for both of us. I've had my Weta for about a year now and it was my first opportunity to sail with other Weta sailors.

      I noticed a couple of methods that were used to control the beating of the jib while the boat is sitting on the beach. One person cleated the jib so it back winded the sail, like you would do to push the bow around to the tack you want. I had forgotten this technique, since I've had a roller fullering jib on my last boat for so many years. While this works fine on catamarans I wouldn't use this on the Weta since is too light and pivots to easy to resist the torque of the jib in this position.

      A workable method to secure the jib is to have it attached to the forestay and pulled down to the deck. The jib is lapped back and forth between its attachment point on the jib. I notice though most of the Weta sailors have all their loose gear secured away in the car before raising any of their sails and therefore start sailing almost immediately when raising sails. I've always been sailing with a crew so I've never been that organized. But I think this will become part of my routine.

      I should mention I was really impressed with the skill level of the sailors racing the Weta. They were pointing high and going fast.

      Charles, #285