What is "Margaritaville Trimaran Rendezvous" like?

  • Charles Ashley
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 8, 2011
      What is the "Margaritaville Trimaran Rendezvous" like?

      We have no interest in racing, but are interested though in hanging out and socializing with fellow sailors. A raid/cruise activity though would be fun. I gather from the map there are some of these.

      With a title like Margaritaville implies a care free atmosphere, but Nationals and Championship doesn't sound like new comers should come.

      Do the Weta sailors really need to provide their sail measurement and boat weight. What is a valid PHRF Measurement Certificate or Class Certification.

      Charles, Weta #285
    • Richard Stephens
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 8, 2011
        > What is the "Margaritaville Trimaran Rendezvous" like?

        Charles,

        I first time I went to the Trimaran Nationals in Pensacola, it was only my
        second regatta, ever. I bought my F28 the year before (that was 2002) purely
        as a cruiser, and with no interest in racing. That regatta was my first time
        ever flying a spinnaker. But I have always had such a great time there, I
        have made the 2000 mile journey from NY every year since then!

        First of all, it is a great place to sail: Smooth water, nice wind, and
        miles of unspoiled white sand beaches. More importantly, I've met a met a
        whole bunch of friends who share a love of trimarans. I like to hang out
        with monohullers or cat sailors, but Trimaran sailors are a special family!

        The program we have set up for the Wetas is not for just for hard-core
        racers. The first day we are going to race to the east along Santa Rosa
        Sound for a couple of hours, and have lunch on shore. If the sea-breeze
        picks up as usual, the race back will be a fast reach. The next day we are
        going to spend the morning learning about weta sailing with Chris Kitchen,
        we'll be able to have some on-the-water coaching, too. I am really looking
        forward to that. On the Thursday morning we are going to sail to Ft McRea
        for a picnic. This is a very beautiful, unspoiled area to the west of the
        Pensacola pass. We will have windward-leeward races on Wednesday afternoon,
        Thurs afternoon and all Friday. It's ok to join in even if you have never
        raced before, but if you prefer to sail off and just explore and have fun,
        that's ok! There are two or three Corsairs that are not racing, and are just
        going to cruise, and you could hang out with them.

        > Do the Weta sailors really need to provide their sail measurement and boat
        weight.
        > What is a valid PHRF Measurement Certificate or Class Certification.

        That is only for the big trimarans. We are a One Design, so all you need to
        do is write "Weta".

        You should definitely come to Pensacola! The entry form is here: You have to
        print the form and send it in - there is no online registration.
        http://www.pensacolabeach-yc.org/trimaran_rendezvous/default.aspx

        If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email or call me: 607-216-9194.

        Richard.

      • bjarthur123
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 9, 2011
          this is precisely why we need a second fleet-- to provide a venue for people who are interested in coming but are not hard-core racers. it doesn't matter whether it's cruising or relaxed racing, or some mix of both.

          you don't need 80 boats to organize it, or even 20. the H18B fleet in southern california in the 90s was typically only a handful of boats and it worked just fine. the big tris in pensacola this year are only going to number 30 or so, and they have two divisions, race and rendezvous.

          charles, please come. we'd love to have you. as richard enumerated, there are plenty of options.

          ben #358
          ithaca, new york

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 10, 2011
            Richard and ben #358

            Thanks for the information and warn encouragement to come to the Margaritaville event. Now I know that I want to go and it just of matter of figuring out whether I can go. Earlier this year (Feb 2-5) I had been thinking about coming to the Charlotte Harbor Regatta, to hang out with the other Weta sailors, but they didn't offer any raid/cruise events and then we weren't able to make it any way.

            I checked out the Google Maps satellite view and yes this does look like a great place to go sailing. The whole west side of the island is a park (Gulf Islands National Seashore) as well as an even larger part of the island, East of the hotel. This is on my schedule for next year. I hope you can make it then as well.

            Charles, Weta #285
          • DaveK
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 11, 2011
              --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Stephens" <richard@...> wrote:

              We will have windward-leeward races on Wednesday afternoon,
              > Thurs afternoon and all Friday. It's ok to join in even if you have never

              Richard, I believe you meant Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

              I leave on Friday, so I hope that's right.

              Dave
            • Richard Stephens
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 11, 2011
                > Richard, I believe you meant Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

                Sorry, you are right. The event runs from Sun May 1st, 6pm for check-in,
                skippers meeting and welcome party at PBYC, through till the Awards Party at
                the Margaritaville on Thurs May 5th, at 4pm.

                I have booked my campsite for an extra night, just in case we are having too
                much fun and don't want to leave!

                If anyone is still undecided about going, time is running short... Also,
                Bert has still not received registration forms for some people I know are
                going. He needs those now, so he can order T-shirts and other goodies.

                Richard.
              • DaveK
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 11, 2011
                  Ok Ok..... I'll send in my form :)

                  I just finished doing my taxes and I'm getting money back so I can afford it now.

                  --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Stephens" <richard@...> wrote:

                  > > Richard, I believe you meant Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
                  >
                  > Sorry, you are right. The event runs from Sun May 1st, 6pm for check-in,
                  > skippers meeting and welcome party at PBYC, through till the Awards Party at
                  > the Margaritaville on Thurs May 5th, at 4pm.
                  >
                  > I have booked my campsite for an extra night, just in case we are having too
                  > much fun and don't want to leave!
                  >
                  > If anyone is still undecided about going, time is running short... Also,
                  > Bert has still not received registration forms for some people I know are
                  > going. He needs those now, so he can order T-shirts and other goodies.
                  >
                  > Richard.

                • Richard Stephens
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 15, 2011
                    I think we are up to 12 Wetas:

                    Chris Kitchen NZ
                    Jon Britt NC
                    Dick Hitchcock FL
                    Richard Stephens NY
                    Ben Arthur NY
                    Dave Kleinman TX
                    Ant Steward FL
                    Eric Magnuson NY
                    Scott Finley (?)
                    Charles Ashley
                    Bill Still, FL
                    Jim Leonard, AL

                    I am really looking forward to meeting this group:

                    Do you think Jim Leonard, former NACRA 5.2 North American champ, will give
                    Chris Kitchen a close race?

                    My friend Eric Magnuson will be sailing a Weta for the very first time. He
                    will be fast, though... he sailed a 29er all last year.

                    We have the long-distance, endurance racers, Ant Steward and Scott Finley.

                    Dave K, with all your posts and videos, it feels like we have met already.

                    The event chairman, Bert Rice, has suggested we try some informal Team
                    racing. We have enough boats, and the fun part is the fast racers don't just
                    sail off into the distance. They have to try to slow down the competition so
                    the rest of their team can get ahead. We could put together each team of 3
                    boats with a fair mix of talent. I don't know if it is right for this group,
                    as it does mean there is a lot of close boat-on-boat maneuvering. But we can
                    talk about it and give it a go on the last day if people want to. It is
                    great to have our own race committee and no other boats on our course, so we
                    can do whatever we want as a fleet!

                    The big trimaran fleet is up to about 20 boats.

                    Keep the entries coming... It will be a good time! If you have any questions
                    call me on 607-216-9194.

                    NOR and Entry form: