Gel Coat Cleaner and Wax/Polish

  • Red Tuna
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 24, 2010
      Curious what others are using on their boats. My red boat shows hard water spots pretty badly, so it's obviously time for some maintenance. Little or no oxidation, as best I can tell. Should I use a cleaner that removes what's left of the factory wax and start fresh? I see that Mequiar's also has a non-skid cleaner and wax and that got me wondering if perhaps the deck and hull waxes should be different. The 3M stuff seems to get good reviews. Any waxes out there that are proven faster through the water?

      I'm hoping to keep the process down to under eight hours, if at all possible. I'd probably go for 16 hours if it will make me faster than DaveK.

      Thanks
      Larry
    • wetadream
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 30, 2010
        Larry,
        Sorry about the delay in replying to your post. I have a red hull and use Zymol red car wax. It isn't cheap...about $62 USD. The results have been great. Water will still leave some "spots" but they wipe off easily.

        As far as speed goes I don't believe it will make to much difference. One mistake setting a sail will more than void the speed benifit of any wax. (I am assuming you don't keep the boat in sea water long enough for stuff to grow on it.)

        One last word on the wax. Wear gloves and use towels you don't mind turning red.

        http://www.autoanything.com/car-care/69A3065A0A0.aspx

        Jerry
        317

        --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "Red Tuna" <redtuna23@...> wrote:

        > Curious what others are using on their boats. My red boat shows hard water spots pretty badly, so it's obviously time for some maintenance. Little or no oxidation, as best I can tell. Should I use a cleaner that removes what's left of the factory wax and start fresh? I see that Mequiar's also has a non-skid cleaner and wax and that got me wondering if perhaps the deck and hull waxes should be different. The 3M stuff seems to get good reviews. Any waxes out there that are proven faster through the water?
        >
        > I'm hoping to keep the process down to under eight hours, if at all possible. I'd probably go for 16 hours if it will make me faster than DaveK.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Larry

      • Robert Spencer
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 31, 2010
          All I have ever used is the 3M cleaner / wax (not the heavy duty one). I have very high salinity here (ask Gerry!), and I have only waxed / cleaned a couple of times in 18 months, and the finish is still very good.
          Works for me so far. I had a little while to inspect the bottom of the hull a couple of weeks ago (while capsized!) and it is in good shape too :)

          Robert

          Sent from iPhone (so please excuse the spelling!)

          On 31 Dec 2010, at 11:34, "wetadream" <overnitemail@...> wrote:

          > Larry,
          > Sorry about the delay in replying to your post. I have a red hull and use Zymol red car wax. It isn't cheap...about $62 USD. The results have been great. Water will still leave some "spots" but they wipe off easily.
          >
          > As far as speed goes I don't believe it will make to much difference. One mistake setting a sail will more than void the speed benifit of any wax. (I am assuming you don't keep the boat in sea water long enough for stuff to grow on it.)
          >
          > One last word on the wax. Wear gloves and use towels you don't mind turning red.
          >
          > http://www.autoanything.com/car-care/69A3065A0A0.aspx
          >
          > Jerry
          > 317
          >
          > --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "Red Tuna" <redtuna23@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Curious what others are using on their boats. My red boat shows hard water spots pretty badly, so it's obviously time for some maintenance. Little or no oxidation, as best I can tell. Should I use a cleaner that removes what's left of the factory wax and start fresh? I see that Mequiar's also has a non-skid cleaner and wax and that got me wondering if perhaps the deck and hull waxes should be different. The 3M stuff seems to get good reviews. Any waxes out there that are proven faster through the water?
          > >
          > > I'm hoping to keep the process down to under eight hours, if at all possible. I'd probably go for 16 hours if it will make me faster than DaveK.
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > > Larry

        • wetadream
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 31, 2010
            Robert,
            I am trying to get to Dubai in Feb...better have a shinny boat. (Although I hope I don't have to inspect the bottom of the hull.)

            I'll be in Sydney for 3 days starting on the 2nd. Join me there and we'll find a boat to sail. (Not sure there are any Wetas in SYD.)

            Jerry

            --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, Robert Spencer <mfcdubai@...> wrote:

            > All I have ever used is the 3M cleaner / wax (not the heavy duty one). I have very high salinity here (ask Gerry!), and I have only waxed / cleaned a couple of times in 18 months, and the finish is still very good.
            > Works for me so far. I had a little while to inspect the bottom of the hull a couple of weeks ago (while capsized!) and it is in good shape too :)
            >
            > Robert
            >

            > Sent from iPhone (so please excuse the spelling!)
            >
            > On 31 Dec 2010, at 11:34, "wetadream" <overnitemail@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Larry,
            > > Sorry about the delay in replying to your post. I have a red hull and use Zymol red car wax. It isn't cheap...about $62 USD. The results have been great. Water will still leave some "spots" but they wipe off easily.
            > >
            > > As far as speed goes I don't believe it will make to much difference. One mistake setting a sail will more than void the speed benifit of any wax. (I am assuming you don't keep the boat in sea water long enough for stuff to grow on it.)
            > >
            > > One last word on the wax. Wear gloves and use towels you don't mind turning red.
            > >
            > > http://www.autoanything.com/car-care/69A3065A0A0.aspx
            > >
            > > Jerry
            > > 317
            > >
            > > --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "Red Tuna" <redtuna23@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Curious what others are using on their boats. My red boat shows hard water spots pretty badly, so it's obviously time for some maintenance. Little or no oxidation, as best I can tell. Should I use a cleaner that removes what's left of the factory wax and start fresh? I see that Mequiar's also has a non-skid cleaner and wax and that got me wondering if perhaps the deck and hull waxes should be different. The 3M stuff seems to get good reviews. Any waxes out there that are proven faster through the water?
            > > >
            > > > I'm hoping to keep the process down to under eight hours, if at all possible. I'd probably go for 16 hours if it will make me faster than DaveK.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks
            > > > Larry

          • Red Tuna
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 2, 2011
              Thanks, guys. I think I'm going to give the Mequiar's Marine products a shot. They also have a canvas cleaner. My cover is looking pretty nasty.

              Hey, there's a Weta thread over in pressure-drop.us forums. DaveK even made the front page! Drop on in.

              Larry