Introductions

  • wetatri
    Message 1 of 10 , May 21, 2009
      All,

      Looks like Weta is selling some boats, as we are getting a steady stream of new members to our little yahoo group.

      Perhaps it's time for some introductions....................

      Christopher H.

      San Francisco Bay

      Grey Weta no.148. One of the original Nor-Banks West Coast container boats that were delivered in August 2007.

      Updated in March 2008 to new dagger board and rudder (the same as the current boats are supplied with). BIG improvement!!!

      My original nets failed at the edges. Weta replaced them at N/C. Thanks Weta!!!

      Changed to a shorter, extendable tiller extension. Much better when sailing 2-up.
      Added daggerboard carpet to limit water intrusion.
      Replaced mainsheet hook with snap shackle.
      2:1 jib halyard using loop in halyard.
      Added screacher sheet tail. had trouble with it catching in the jib hanks last sail.
      2" long pool-noodle pieces in beam end tubes to eliminate water collecting in them.
      Hope to add inspection port forward of the daggerboard this weekend.

      I think that's about it. Still love the boat.

      Soooooo, who's next?

      Let's hear from everybody, even if you don't own a Weta........................yet!!! ;-)

      Cheers!!!

      -Chris H.
    • Glen Newbury
      Message 2 of 10 , May 22, 2009
        Hi,
        I'm Glen from Toronto Island, I've got a red weta which I sailed like crazy
        last year and my wife sails it as well. The water is just starting to warm
        up enough to get it going again, had a few good sails this week.

        I've had a Dragonfly 25, Rave Trifoiler and Gougeon 32. The weta is
        certainly the easiest to sail, fastest to get in the water and lots of fun.

        The only mods I've made have been to put some brackets on the beach dolly as
        I have to launch from a dock ramp so the antlers weren't taking the lateral
        forces well while launching and hauling.

        Christopher, would the daggerboard carpet reduce resistance on the water or
        is it just to create less water in the cockpit?

        thanks
        glen

        On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 1:43 AM, wetatri <minzuki@...> wrote:

        > All,
        >
        > Looks like Weta is selling some boats, as we are getting a steady stream of
        > new members to our little yahoo group.
        >
        > Perhaps it's time for some introductions....................
        >
        > Christopher H.
        >
        > San Francisco Bay
        >
        > Grey Weta no.148. One of the original Nor-Banks West Coast container boats
        > that were delivered in August 2007.
        >
        > Updated in March 2008 to new dagger board and rudder (the same as the
        > current boats are supplied with). BIG improvement!!!
        >
        > My original nets failed at the edges. Weta replaced them at N/C. Thanks
        > Weta!!!
        >
        > Changed to a shorter, extendable tiller extension. Much better when sailing
        > 2-up.
        > Added daggerboard carpet to limit water intrusion.
        > Replaced mainsheet hook with snap shackle.
        > 2:1 jib halyard using loop in halyard.
        > Added screacher sheet tail. had trouble with it catching in the jib hanks
        > last sail.
        > 2" long pool-noodle pieces in beam end tubes to eliminate water collecting
        > in them.
        > Hope to add inspection port forward of the daggerboard this weekend.
        >
        > I think that's about it. Still love the boat.

      • mfcdubai
        Message 3 of 10 , May 22, 2009
          Hi,

          I'm Robert, and should shortly to be the first owner of a Weta in the Middle East - Dubai actually.

          Due to recieve the first two in about a fortnight, and with 360+ sailing days a year I intend to give it a lot of use. Timing has got ours with the new foils, so that is one mod I will not need. I will initially be trailer launching on a slipway, so I may modify an existing trailer, or put something new together.

          Only mod planned is for a hatch / bag forward of the daggerboard slot - somewhere to put my car keys and mount a GPS. Hate the thought of cutting the hull, but c'est la vie!

          The Weta itself is an upgrade - from a Windrider 16 - my first sail, great fun, but I need a challenge, now that I have found how to get it back to the dock repeatedly. Put a jib on it for better prtformance, but I am never satisfied :) - I think the Weta will fix that..

          All / any advice welcomed

          Will have photos of the Weta arrival in Dubai as soon as....

          Regards

          MFC
        • wetabob
          Message 4 of 10 , May 22, 2009
            Bob Hyde
            San Francisco Bay (Richmond Yacht Club)

            I have Weta #151 (light gray) from the original Nor' Bank shipment to RYC. Of the original ten boat owners, I think I was the only person to actual sail one before buying it. Greg M. clued me in to the Weta from Sailing Anarchy as a possible fun boat for single-handing around the bay. A multi? Aren't we skiff sailors? Except for one or two rides on some beach cats and renting one of those WaveRider RotoTurd thingies on vacation, I never considered buying a multi. They're too freaky, right?

            Just by coincidences I had a vacation planned in Florida and one of the local guys (Rick Deebs) had a Weta. I got in contact with him and he met me in Clearwater for a demo ride. Holy Crap! It was blowing an honest 18-22kts on the beach. There were a bunch of cats on the beach with us, but none of them looked remotely interested in sailing in those conditions. Having only sailed in SF most of my life, I didn't see the problem. Sure the wind was up, but the water was dead flat and toasty warm. If the Weta couldn't handle these conditions it would be destroyed in SF.
            Long story short, we had a great time. The boat loved the heavy air and we hit 17kts on the GPS two-sail reaching down the beach in full firehose mode. I was sold and a couple of months later a container with ten Wetas showed up at RYC.

            I've put a few mods on the boat:
            -6" hatch in front of the daggerboard
            -Light air spinnaker sheet system (don't really use it)
            -2:1 jib setup (don't really use it either)
            -New dagger/rudder set
            -Mast mounted clam cleats to hold the jib and spin halyards
            -Padding on the aka crossbeam under the tramp (most important mod)
            -Gucci road trailer.
            -Custom lifting bridle (we crane launch here)
            -Need to seal the dagger slot, it's a fountain down there.

            Of the boats I've owned, this one gets the most use. It is easy to single-hand in any conditions and has proved to be quite rugged. The only thing I've managed to break is one jib batten. Sure it's not as fast as an I14 or some cats, but it's a whole lot faster than all the I14's/cats that just sit in the yard not getting sailed.
          • Mitch
            Message 5 of 10 , May 22, 2009
              Greg here

              Weta 152 - the red one

              same things as Bob - except
              Cheap flatbed road trailer from Harbor Freight - something like $200. Works
              fine. Was a pain in the ass to assemble.

              Haven't put the mast cleats on yet - need to.

              Haven't put the 2:1 jib on yet - thinking about it.

              Have dagger slot carpet at the bottom of the slot. Works fine. no more
              firehose

              Added a "blue systems" cockpit bag in addition to the hatch bag. Easier to
              get to while sailing/racin. Use it to hold a bottle of water, race
              instructions, etc.

              My rudder gudgeons were off center by 1/4" - used a chalk line/plumb bob to
              determine center and drilled new top hole. Bottom hole was lined up.

              I used a double tiller extension. Built them from tubes sourced at Tap
              Plastics and ronstan universals. If I was to do it again - I'd use bamboo.
              When I added the grip padding - they turned out too heavy.

              Built a gucci carbon instrument pod for a velocitek. Can't bring myself to
              actually drill holes and mount it. I wouldn't need it, except the velocitek
              is so sensitive, that the spray changes it's settings. And we know the Weta
              is wet.

              Greg

              Message 6 of 10 , May 22, 2009
                Hi Greg,

                Not sure if we can upload photos, do you have a photo of your mounting or do
                other people have recommendations for mounting their Velocitek SC-1 (or are
                you talking about the puck).

                I see that west marine has 3 options for mounting accessories for the SC-1,
                are none of these optimal?

                thanks
                glen

                Greg said

                > Built a gucci carbon instrument pod for a velocitek. Can't bring myself to
                > actually drill holes and mount it. I wouldn't need it, except the velocitek
                > is so sensitive, that the spray changes it's settings. And we know the Weta
                > is wet.

              • Mitch
                Message 7 of 10 , May 22, 2009
                  i tried wide velcro - but had just waxed the deck - so it didn't hold.
                  Gotta put it farther forward to avoid any chance of a line getting under a
                  corner.

                  On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 9:31 AM, Glen Newbury <gnewbury@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Greg,
                  >
                  > Not sure if we can upload photos, do you have a photo of your mounting or
                  > do
                  > other people have recommendations for mounting their Velocitek SC-1 (or are
                  > you talking about the puck).
                  >
                  > I see that west marine has 3 options for mounting accessories for the SC-1,
                  > are none of these optimal?
                  >
                  > thanks
                  > glen
                  >
                  > Greg said
                  >
                  > > Built a gucci carbon instrument pod for a velocitek. Can't bring myself
                  > > actually drill holes and mount it. I wouldn't need it, except the
                  > velocitek
                  > > is so sensitive, that the spray changes it's settings. And we know the
                  > Weta
                  > > is wet.

                • Glen Newbury
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 22, 2009
                    Do you mean farther forward as in beside or in front of the mast?So yours is
                    facing upwards?
                    Thanks, I've got mine coming early next week so trying to figure out where
                    to put it.

                    On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 1:17 PM, Mitch <mitch.sailing@...> wrote:

                    > i tried wide velcro - but had just waxed the deck - so it didn't hold.
                    > Gotta put it farther forward to avoid any chance of a line getting under a
                    > corner.
                    >

                    > On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 9:31 AM, Glen Newbury <gnewbury@...<gnewbury%40gmail.com>>
                    > wrote:
                    >

                    > > Hi Greg,
                    > >
                    > > Not sure if we can upload photos, do you have a photo of your mounting or
                    > > do
                    > > other people have recommendations for mounting their Velocitek SC-1 (or
                    > are
                    > > you talking about the puck).
                    > >
                    > > I see that west marine has 3 options for mounting accessories for the
                    > SC-1,
                    > > are none of these optimal?
                    > >
                    > > thanks
                    > > glen
                    > >
                    > > Greg said
                    > >
                    > > > Built a gucci carbon instrument pod for a velocitek. Can't bring myself
                    > > > actually drill holes and mount it. I wouldn't need it, except the
                    > > velocitek
                    > > > is so sensitive, that the spray changes it's settings. And we know the
                    > > Weta
                    > > > is wet.

                  • Mitch
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 22, 2009
                      I bought the mounting plate and mounted suction cups to it(found at a
                      hardware store) - so I can stick the thing anywhere. However, when I mount
                      it right next to the daggerboard slot (without the carbon mounting box) the
                      water resets all the buttons. While I made the big mounting box - it might
                      be simpler to just put the thing in a baggie - and mount next to the
                      daggerboard slot. That would be the handiest spot.

                      attached photo shows the suction cups - they just thread righ

                      Greg

                      On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 10:28 AM, Glen Newbury <gnewbury@...> wrote:

                      > Do you mean farther forward as in beside or in front of the mast?So yours
                      > is
                      > facing upwards?
                      > Thanks, I've got mine coming early next week so trying to figure out where
                      > to put it.
                      >

                      > On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 1:17 PM, Mitch <mitch.sailing@...<mitch.sailing%40gmail.com>>
                      > wrote:
                      >

                      > > i tried wide velcro - but had just waxed the deck - so it didn't hold.
                      > > Gotta put it farther forward to avoid any chance of a line getting under
                      > > corner.
                      > >

                      > > On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 9:31 AM, Glen Newbury <gnewbury@...<gnewbury%40gmail.com>
                      > <gnewbury%40gmail.com>>
                      > > wrote:
                      > >

                      > > > Hi Greg,
                      > > >
                      > > > Not sure if we can upload photos, do you have a photo of your mounting
                      > or
                      > > > do
                      > > > other people have recommendations for mounting their Velocitek SC-1 (or
                      > > are
                      > > > you talking about the puck).
                      > > >
                      > > > I see that west marine has 3 options for mounting accessories for the
                      > > SC-1,
                      > > > are none of these optimal?
                      > > >
                      > > > thanks
                      > > > glen
                      > > >
                      > > > Greg said

                      > myself
                      > > > velocitek
                      > the
                      > > > Weta

                    • mfcdubai
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 20, 2009
                        Update -

                        Am now the first owner in Middle East - 233 and 234 now living happily in the heat and sun.

                        Now have it just over a month and my expectations (which I must admit were high) have been blasted out of the water - literally. It is an amazing boat - but then again you all know that already.

                        No problems so far other than one ama that is too well sealed and cannot breathe (120° air temp followed by 80° water makes it shrink!) - now sorted with a tiny hole into the crossbeam. Only other problem is that I cannot get out often enough to sail it, and too many people want to have a look, come for a ride :) - can't blame Weta for that...

                        I guess when the season starts again (September or so), I will have a bit more fun as there will be more variety of boats to chase...

                        Regards

                        MFC