Gouge repair

  • rayweta
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 4, 2010
      Yesterday found a soft indentation on the main hull near the bow about the size of my pinkie fingernail. Pushed it in gently and the surface cracked and left a hole. Not sure what I did to cause it; best guess I might have dinged it with the dolly at some point.

      So the question is, do I need to get a professional to fix it? Or can I just fill it with epoxy? It looks like it just exposed a bubble about the same size as the opening. Also, I have no experience doing this sort of repair. Should I attempt it or leave it to a pro? How much should a repair like this run?

      I put pics of the damage in the album "Weta 357".

      Thanks!
      Ray, #357
    • David
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2010
        Hi Ray,
        It looks like you found a void (bubble) under the gelcoat. Although I
        have not had this problem with my Weta, yet, I have had similar holes
        appear on other boats. They are pretty simple to fix. Toughest part is
        getting the gelcoat color to match. I fixed my last boat following Don
        Casey's instructions <http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/02.htm> .
        Turned out just fine.

        --David.

        --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, "rayweta" <raytan@...> wrote:

        > Yesterday found a soft indentation on the main hull near the bow about
        the size of my pinkie fingernail. Pushed it in gently and the surface
        cracked and left a hole. Not sure what I did to cause it; best guess I
        might have dinged it with the dolly at some point.

        > So the question is, do I need to get a professional to fix it? Or can
        I just fill it with epoxy? It looks like it just exposed a bubble about
        the same size as the opening. Also, I have no experience doing this sort
        of repair. Should I attempt it or leave it to a pro? How much should a
        repair like this run?

        > I put pics of the damage in the album "Weta 357".
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Ray, #357

      • Mitch
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2010
          I'll post some pics of damage repair...

          But - if it's just gelcoat damage - go to West Systems web site, they have a
          wealth of expertise in small booklet form.

          Greg
          152

          On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 8:25 PM, David <mariner1460@...> wrote:

          > Hi Ray,
          > It looks like you found a void (bubble) under the gelcoat. Although I
          > have not had this problem with my Weta, yet, I have had similar holes
          > appear on other boats. They are pretty simple to fix. Toughest part is
          > getting the gelcoat color to match. I fixed my last boat following Don
          > Casey's instructions <http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/02.htm> .
          > Turned out just fine.
          >
          > --David.
          >

          > --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com <Weta-Trimarans%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > "rayweta" <raytan@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Yesterday found a soft indentation on the main hull near the bow about
          > the size of my pinkie fingernail. Pushed it in gently and the surface
          > cracked and left a hole. Not sure what I did to cause it; best guess I
          > might have dinged it with the dolly at some point.
          > >
          > > So the question is, do I need to get a professional to fix it? Or can
          > I just fill it with epoxy? It looks like it just exposed a bubble about
          > the same size as the opening. Also, I have no experience doing this sort
          > of repair. Should I attempt it or leave it to a pro? How much should a
          > repair like this run?
          > >
          > > I put pics of the damage in the album "Weta 357".
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > > Ray, #357

        • Mitch
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2010
            Actually - the damage repair is already posted as "Cartoon Ninja Damage"

            On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 8:33 PM, Mitch <mitch.sailing@...> wrote:

            > I'll post some pics of damage repair...
            >
            > But - if it's just gelcoat damage - go to West Systems web site, they have
            > a wealth of expertise in small booklet form.
            >
            > Greg
            > 152
            >

            > On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 8:25 PM, David <mariner1460@...> wrote:
            >

            >> Hi Ray,
            >> It looks like you found a void (bubble) under the gelcoat. Although I
            >> have not had this problem with my Weta, yet, I have had similar holes
            >> appear on other boats. They are pretty simple to fix. Toughest part is
            >> getting the gelcoat color to match. I fixed my last boat following Don
            >> Casey's instructions <http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/02.htm> .
            >> Turned out just fine.
            >>
            >> --David.
            >>

            >> --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com <Weta-Trimarans%40yahoogroups.com>,
            >> "rayweta" <raytan@...> wrote:
            >> >
            >> > Yesterday found a soft indentation on the main hull near the bow about
            >> the size of my pinkie fingernail. Pushed it in gently and the surface
            >> cracked and left a hole. Not sure what I did to cause it; best guess I
            >> might have dinged it with the dolly at some point.
            >> >
            >> > So the question is, do I need to get a professional to fix it? Or can
            >> I just fill it with epoxy? It looks like it just exposed a bubble about
            >> the same size as the opening. Also, I have no experience doing this sort
            >> of repair. Should I attempt it or leave it to a pro? How much should a
            >> repair like this run?
            >> >
            >> > I put pics of the damage in the album "Weta 357".
            >> >
            >> > Thanks!
            >> > Ray, #357

          • rayweta
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 6, 2010
              Thank you for the input. It does appear to be a void under the gelcoat. After poking at it some more, the full extent of the void looks to be about 25mm long, 5mm wide, and 5mm deep. Will gelcoat paste be sufficient for a repair of that size or do I need to fill it with epoxy first?

              Thanks,
              Ray

              --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, Mitch <mitch.sailing@...> wrote:

              > Actually - the damage repair is already posted as "Cartoon Ninja Damage"
              >

              > On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 8:33 PM, Mitch <mitch.sailing@...> wrote:
              >
              > > I'll post some pics of damage repair...
              > >
              > > But - if it's just gelcoat damage - go to West Systems web site, they have
              > > a wealth of expertise in small booklet form.
              > >
              > > Greg
              > > 152
              > >

              > > On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 8:25 PM, David <mariner1460@...> wrote:
              > >

              > >> Hi Ray,
              > >> It looks like you found a void (bubble) under the gelcoat. Although I
              > >> have not had this problem with my Weta, yet, I have had similar holes
              > >> appear on other boats. They are pretty simple to fix. Toughest part is
              > >> getting the gelcoat color to match. I fixed my last boat following Don
              > >> Casey's instructions <http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/02.htm> .
              > >> Turned out just fine.
              > >>
              > >> --David.
              > >>

              > >> --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com <Weta-Trimarans%40yahoogroups.com>,

              > >> the size of my pinkie fingernail. Pushed it in gently and the surface
              > >> cracked and left a hole. Not sure what I did to cause it; best guess I
              > >> might have dinged it with the dolly at some point.

              > >> I just fill it with epoxy? It looks like it just exposed a bubble about
              > >> the same size as the opening. Also, I have no experience doing this sort
              > >> of repair. Should I attempt it or leave it to a pro? How much should a
              > >> repair like this run?

            • eric e
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 6, 2010
                if i were you i would flip the boat and and then support on stands etc so that the void is at the highest point and facing up

                then mix up 100ml of polyester resin, not epoxy

                paint some inside the void and then add chopped glass strands into the hole, wetting out as you go, don't be afraid to end up with strands sticking out of the hole

                if the hull positioning is good you should be able to get a slightly raised bubble of resin there

                let it set then carefully grind, sand flat

                then paint over with color matched gelcoat from your dealer

                That's the simplest i would do

                Thank you for the input. It does appear to be a void under the gelcoat. After poking at it some more, the full extent of the void looks to be about 25mm long, 5mm wide, and 5mm deep. Will gelcoat paste be sufficient for a repair of that size or do I need to fill it with epoxy first?

                Thanks,

                Ray

                --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com, Mitch <mitch.sailing@...> wrote:

                > Actually - the damage repair is already posted as "Cartoon Ninja Damage"

                > On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 8:33 PM, Mitch <mitch.sailing@...> wrote:

                > > I'll post some pics of damage repair...

                > > But - if it's just gelcoat damage - go to West Systems web site, they have

                > > a wealth of expertise in small booklet form.

                > > Greg

                > > 152

                > > On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 8:25 PM, David <mariner1460@...> wrote:

                > >> Hi Ray,

                > >> It looks like you found a void (bubble) under the gelcoat. Although I

                > >> have not had this problem with my Weta, yet, I have had similar holes

                > >> appear on other boats. They are pretty simple to fix. Toughest part is

                > >> getting the gelcoat color to match. I fixed my last boat following Don

                > >> Casey's instructions <http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/02.htm> .

                > >> Turned out just fine.

                > >> --David.

                > >> --- In Weta-Trimarans@yahoogroups.com <Weta-Trimarans%40yahoogroups.com>,

                > >> the size of my pinkie fingernail. Pushed it in gently and the surface

                > >> cracked and left a hole. Not sure what I did to cause it; best guess I

                > >> might have dinged it with the dolly at some point.

                > >> I just fill it with epoxy? It looks like it just exposed a bubble about

                > >> the same size as the opening. Also, I have no experience doing this sort

                > >> of repair. Should I attempt it or leave it to a pro? How much should a

                > >> repair like this run?

              • rayweta
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 26, 2010
                  So it definitely was a void under the gelcoat. I picked up a gelcoat paste repair kit, followed Don Casey's instructions and now it's barely noticeable. Would've been completely invisible but I didn't quite get the color matched correctly. I guess I'll have to paint over it with gelcoat at some point.

                  For future reference, the color of the grey boats is RAL 7035 (from Jon Britt).