Floppy shroud and ama

  • Lenny
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 24, 2010
      Sailing to windward in a real good breeze last week, with the leeward ama in the water, I noticed that the shroud was slack. That didn't surprise me because a press of sail on a boat normally stretches the windward shroud and slackens the leeward one. What I noticed next, though, caused me some concern: the leeward ama--no longer held up by the shroud--was moving up and down in the waves, working the aka in the main hull.

      Is this OK, or does it mean that I didn't have my head stay tight enough? I've tightened it since then with all the force I can muster but haven't had an opportunity to try out the boat since then.

      Lenny
      WETA #436
    • Mitch
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 24, 2010
        that's what happens.

        I've got some shims in mine made from some PTFE tape that tighten it up a
        bit - but if it's too tight - it's hard to install the akas.
        Greg

        On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Lenny <j40watermusic@...> wrote:

        > Sailing to windward in a real good breeze last week, with the leeward ama
        > in the water, I noticed that the shroud was slack. That didn't surprise me
        > because a press of sail on a boat normally stretches the windward shroud and
        > slackens the leeward one. What I noticed next, though, caused me some
        > concern: the leeward ama--no longer held up by the shroud--was moving up and
        > down in the waves, working the aka in the main hull.
        >
        > Is this OK, or does it mean that I didn't have my head stay tight enough?
        > I've tightened it since then with all the force I can muster but haven't had
        > an opportunity to try out the boat since then.
        >
        > Lenny
        > WETA #436

      • bjarthur123
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 27, 2010
          a little play in the leeward shroud is normal. you should tension the forestay as much as possible though. reduces wear and tear due to movement. maybe enhances performance too?

          i wrap the forestay lashing multiple times around the grip of a hammer so that i can put all my weight into tightening it. best to do this after the gennaker is rigged, as if you accidentally slip and let go of the forestay the mast will fall. don't ask me how i know this. :)

          ben arthur
          #358, "gray matter"
          ithaca, new york (we have FOUR (yes 4!) wetas on cayuga lake now!!)

          > Is this OK, or does it mean that I didn't have my head stay tight enough? I've tightened it since then with all the force I can muster but haven't had an opportunity to try out the boat since then.
        • ROBERT REED
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 27, 2010
            I Used to do that - only I used a small boat bumper-- also used the genny halyard while my wife tied the forestay. Now I have several better ideas. Best one is use a 1/8 or 3/16 rapid link in the cable eye. (use the stainless steel - especially in salt water) This gives you a bigger opening to thread the line through. It also limits the binding when releasing. I used a thicker line- about the size of the jib/genny halyard to tie the forestay. I waxed with candle wax before first use. Loop 2-3 wraps then tighten.. No problem single handed now!--- I really need to post some pics- maybe this afternoon if it keeps raining!
            Robert in North Carolina.

            #358, "gray matter"
            ithaca, new york (we have FOUR (yes 4!) wetas on cayuga lake now!!)

            > Is this OK, or does it mean that I didn't have my head stay tight enough? I've tightened it since then with all the force I can muster but haven't had an opportunity to try out the boat since then.

          • Chris B
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 28, 2010
              I have a hand cleat that I used to use for windsurfing - basically a hand grip
              with a friction cleat in the middle of it. Allows maximum pulling power on a
              line without pain! (But I do find you can tension the forestay sufficiently
              without it, just make sure you are pulling down. The advantage of the small
              hole at the end of the forestay means that once you've got two turns through,
              the friction will generally hold the line in place - I hate to think what
              dropping the mast feels like!

              Note: the forestay will pull the tip of the mast forwards and flatten the main
              (at least on a conventional boat with a boom and a vang) - so having it too
              loose will mean the main has too much curve (in all the wrong places) . The
              Weta manual also recommends tightening the gennnaker after the forestay is
              tensioned, as you don't want too much tension in the gennaker luff - or do
              people have other experiences about this?

              CHris

              ________________________________

              #358, "gray matter"
              ithaca, new york (we have FOUR (yes 4!) wetas on cayuga lake now!!)

              > Is this OK, or does it mean that I didn't have my head stay tight enough? I've
              >tightened it since then with all the force I can muster but haven't had an
              >opportunity to try out the boat since then.

            • eric e
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 28, 2010
                >Weta manual also recommends tightening the gennnaker after the forestay is
                >tensioned, as you don't want too much tension in the gennaker luff - or do
                >people have other experiences about this?

                i still find rigging as per the manual gives the best results,

                in order

                tight forestay, to lift the beams in their sockets and bend the mast ever so slightly forward,(if you hear crunching sounds when doing this you've probably got small stones/sand packed into the mast base slot)

                jib tight enough to visibly bend the mast tip forward again

                gennaker tight enough to bring the top section even a little further forward

                thinking of it as slowly building up a mechanical spring

                even with all this the forward shroud can go floppy downwind in a blow and the leeward shroud will be very floppy in all conditions but this isn't a solid carbon boat with a mighty wingmast...it's a small kitset boat with possibly the lightest, most flexible mast this side of windsurfing
              • Robert Spencer
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 29, 2010
                  Oh crap!

                  There is a MANUAL?

                  Doh!

                  233/470

                  Sent from iPhone (so please excuse the spelling!)